"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I use a bedside fan all year round. I find it provides a kind of white noise that deadens the sounds of the city.
I do the same thing. Without the white noise, I can't sleep, turn off my fan and I my eyes pop open.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I wish I could convince Shrek no one is looking in our windows, so I can run a fan at night. Besides, if they were looking, they would go blind with terror...so who cares...

Old 07-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

PF--I don't get Shrek's paranoia...but maybe that is because his name is Shrek. I personally wear the least amount of clothes possible when the humidex goes over 27--the Swedes did a study that showed our brains don't function when it is over 27C. (So no, if the temp is going to be over 27 and I don't have to go anywhere--I don't wear underwear--I wear big ol' cotton granny dresses and I sometimes will stand in front of the floor fan with my dress lifted up--like we were told not to do as little girls. Hey--there's no one here except me and the dogs most of the time. I do have some standards). I don't do that in public or when others are visiting the farm. Just when it is me, the dogs, and the chickens. I know, TMI. If I am not wearing a cotton "granny" dress, I wear lightweight cotton scrubs. So comfy. And, I turned off my webcam on my work computer. I figured those in Poland didn't need to see what I wear when I'm working. Scrubs are so comfy. Great for wearing when gardening, too.

One of the other things I do when I hear the humidex is going to be high--I fill the bathtub with cold water.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #24
Executive Chef

my microwave is finally earning its keep during these sweltering hot days of summer. it has been almost twenty years now, but i have never properly welcomed it into my life. i need to remind myself that we are all good at some things and not so good at others. the microwave oven is very good at "doing summer". just this morning, i am nuking a pound of bacon--no spatters, no heat, no mess....
Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
Master Chef

Vitauta, most know that microwaves are good for heating things up that you've already cooked, but do not forget pre-heating foods you are going to sautee, bake, or put over coals. I think it is really great for potatoes and other vegetables. Get them up to the heat you want, then finish in the skillet, oven, over the coals. It will cut down the sweat time considerably. I wish I could give you times, but microwave ovens vary so much in power that it is impossible.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
PF--I don't get Shrek's paranoia...but maybe that is because his name is Shrek. I personally wear the least amount of clothes possible when the humidex goes over 27--the Swedes did a study that showed our brains don't function when it is over 27C. (So no, if the temp is going to be over 27 and I don't have to go anywhere--I don't wear underwear--I wear big ol' cotton granny dresses and I sometimes will stand in front of the floor fan with my dress lifted up--like we were told not to do as little girls. Hey--there's no one here except me and the dogs most of the time. I do have some standards). I don't do that in public or when others are visiting the farm. Just when it is me, the dogs, and the chickens. I know, TMI. If I am not wearing a cotton "granny" dress, I wear lightweight cotton scrubs. So comfy. And, I turned off my webcam on my work computer. I figured those in Poland didn't need to see what I wear when I'm working. Scrubs are so comfy. Great for wearing when gardening, too.

One of the other things I do when I hear the humidex is going to be high--I fill the bathtub with cold water.
I lived at night for so many years, it's just natural for me to run around in PJ's when I'm at home, I have the biggest lounge wear wardrobe in Montana

We are in a daylight basement and Shrek thinks people are going to bend down as they walk by to peer in the windows. I've never been able to convince him to leave the fans running pulling cold air in from the shady side and out the sunny side, either.

I have a faulty body temp regulator, I am running a high temp when I reach other people's average of 98.6...my baseline temp is 87 degrees. It's why I love winter...
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

hot or cold, i am a no underwear person . sure cuts down on the wash. i think because i had to dress up for work so many years, that i no longer have a desire to be gussied up. it is 90 degrees right now. shorts and a top with no sleeves is my answer.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

PF--my brother lives in a basement apartment. We went to Home Depot and bought that "plastic cardboard" used for signs. We cut it to fit his windows and used velcro to stick it on. He can wipe them down, he can open his windows, and, he has diffused light, so his apartment stays pretty cool. And, if people bend down to look in the windows, they won't see anything. The best part, these sheets were inexpensive, easy to cut, and have been on his windows for at least 7-8 years now.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I have been trying not to cook. I have been using the grill, cooking a little later, and using a fan in the kitchen. Tonight I needed to use the oven and decided the toaster oven would work fine for me. No AC in the house means dinner Al Fresco!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
PF--my brother lives in a basement apartment. We went to Home Depot and bought that "plastic cardboard" used for signs. We cut it to fit his windows and used velcro to stick it on. He can wipe them down, he can open his windows, and, he has diffused light, so his apartment stays pretty cool. And, if people bend down to look in the windows, they won't see anything. The best part, these sheets were inexpensive, easy to cut, and have been on his windows for at least 7-8 years now.
I have black vinyl contact "paper' over the bedroom window, it was cheaper than blackout curtains when i was working nights and trying to sleep during the day. Shrek's problem is with a fan in the window, he thinks people are going to look through the fan.