Hot weather, no a/c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish I could convince Shrek no one is looking in our windows, so I can run a fan at night. Besides, if they were looking, they would go blind with terror...so who cares...

PF--I don't get Shrek's paranoia...but maybe that is because his name is Shrek. I personally wear the least amount of clothes possible when the humidex goes over 27--the Swedes did a study that showed our brains don't function when it is over 27C. (So no, if the temp is going to be over 27 and I don't have to go anywhere--I don't wear underwear--I wear big ol' cotton granny dresses and I sometimes will stand in front of the floor fan with my dress lifted up--like we were told not to do as little girls. Hey--there's no one here except me and the dogs most of the time. I do have some standards). I don't do that in public or when others are visiting the farm. Just when it is me, the dogs, and the chickens. I know, TMI. If I am not wearing a cotton "granny" dress, I wear lightweight cotton scrubs. So comfy. And, I turned off my webcam on my work computer. I figured those in Poland didn't need to see what I wear when I'm working. Scrubs are so comfy. Great for wearing when gardening, too.

One of the other things I do when I hear the humidex is going to be high--I fill the bathtub with cold water.

Last edited:
my microwave is finally earning its keep during these sweltering hot days of summer. it has been almost twenty years now, but i have never properly welcomed it into my life. i need to remind myself that we are all good at some things and not so good at others. the microwave oven is very good at "doing summer". just this morning, i am nuking a pound of bacon--no spatters, no heat, no mess....

Vitauta, most know that microwaves are good for heating things up that you've already cooked, but do not forget pre-heating foods you are going to sautee, bake, or put over coals. I think it is really great for potatoes and other vegetables. Get them up to the heat you want, then finish in the skillet, oven, over the coals. It will cut down the sweat time considerably. I wish I could give you times, but microwave ovens vary so much in power that it is impossible.

PF--I don't get Shrek's paranoia...but maybe that is because his name is Shrek. I personally wear the least amount of clothes possible when the humidex goes over 27--the Swedes did a study that showed our brains don't function when it is over 27C. (So no, if the temp is going to be over 27 and I don't have to go anywhere--I don't wear underwear--I wear big ol' cotton granny dresses and I sometimes will stand in front of the floor fan with my dress lifted up--like we were told not to do as little girls. Hey--there's no one here except me and the dogs most of the time. I do have some standards). I don't do that in public or when others are visiting the farm. Just when it is me, the dogs, and the chickens. I know, TMI. If I am not wearing a cotton "granny" dress, I wear lightweight cotton scrubs. So comfy. And, I turned off my webcam on my work computer. I figured those in Poland didn't need to see what I wear when I'm working. Scrubs are so comfy. Great for wearing when gardening, too.

One of the other things I do when I hear the humidex is going to be high--I fill the bathtub with cold water.

I lived at night for so many years, it's just natural for me to run around in PJ's when I'm at home, I have the biggest lounge wear wardrobe in Montana:)

We are in a daylight basement and Shrek thinks people are going to bend down as they walk by to peer in the windows. I've never been able to convince him to leave the fans running pulling cold air in from the shady side and out the sunny side, either.

I have a faulty body temp regulator, I am running a high temp when I reach other people's average of 98.6...my baseline temp is 87 degrees. It's why I love winter...

hot or cold, i am a no underwear person . sure cuts down on the wash. i think because i had to dress up for work so many years, that i no longer have a desire to be gussied up. it is 90 degrees right now. shorts and a top with no sleeves is my answer.

PF--my brother lives in a basement apartment. We went to Home Depot and bought that "plastic cardboard" used for signs. We cut it to fit his windows and used velcro to stick it on. He can wipe them down, he can open his windows, and, he has diffused light, so his apartment stays pretty cool. And, if people bend down to look in the windows, they won't see anything. The best part, these sheets were inexpensive, easy to cut, and have been on his windows for at least 7-8 years now.

I have been trying not to cook. I have been using the grill, cooking a little later, and using a fan in the kitchen. Tonight I needed to use the oven and decided the toaster oven would work fine for me. No AC in the house means dinner Al Fresco!

PF--my brother lives in a basement apartment. We went to Home Depot and bought that "plastic cardboard" used for signs. We cut it to fit his windows and used velcro to stick it on. He can wipe them down, he can open his windows, and, he has diffused light, so his apartment stays pretty cool. And, if people bend down to look in the windows, they won't see anything. The best part, these sheets were inexpensive, easy to cut, and have been on his windows for at least 7-8 years now.

I have black vinyl contact "paper' over the bedroom window, it was cheaper than blackout curtains when i was working nights and trying to sleep during the day. Shrek's problem is with a fan in the window, he thinks people are going to look through the fan.:wacko:

My AC/heat pump died this spring, and I had to replace it--to the tune of $4000. So now I have a brand new airconditioner, but I can't afford to run it!!

I live up high, so I almost always have a good breeze, and I have a pool. I come home from work, jump in the pool until I am cool, and wander around pulling weeds or doing housework in my wet swimming suit until the air temperature starts to come down.

I have fans near my reading chair, and I sleep right in front of a window fan. Our nighttime temps usually run about 70, so I am very comfy.

Princess, tell Shrek that I have no curtains at all in my house--I figure if anybody peeks in, they get what they deserve. What is seen cannot be unseen!! (I have no neighbors, and my drive is 400 feet long, so the house is not visible from the road.)

The temperature in my house rarely goes over 80, which is perfectly lovely, IMHO. :)

My DH always says that this is the weather we prayed for over the winter. We don't have AC but do have windows on all four sides of the house and usually some air moving. We get maybe five days or so each year where we could use the AC, but we also have a basement and can go down there when it is hot. :)

I wish I could convince Shrek no one is looking in our windows, so I can run a fan at night. Besides, if they were looking, they would go blind with terror...so who cares...

LOL, when I was in a rented ranch style house, or my ground floor apartment, I wouldn't sleep with the windows open, it creeped me out. Heck I don't even like looking out ground floor windows at night, I'm always thinking that someone is going to be looking back at me, LOL, I'm a freak.

The bedroom is now in the second story, so I have no issues with an open window at night. Here in the south, it does no good to open windows at night because it is still warm and humid even in the middle of the night, and I don't want to wake up damp.

When it is really hot, one of the things I do is fill the bathtub with cold water. This evaps and helps cool the air. And, I wear the least amount of clothes possible--cotton is best!

The other thing I do is have a fan over the "register" from the basement. It is one of those flat window fans (about 4 inches thick). I set it up so it "draws" cold air from the basement.

If you position a container of dry ice (or regular ice) in front of a floor fan, that is a way to make a mini-a/c. I used to do that for my dogs. I can't remember if I put a cardboard box over the container or not.

Last edited:
We had a 12 pack-size cooler today that was filled with ice and bandanas, traded them out for people. Worked great!

Back
Top Bottom