How about 3-4 ingredient recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken Cacciatore

chicken breasts or deboned thighs
brown sugar
tomato soup/salsa/oregano
mozzarella

Place chicken in casserole dish. Sprinkle brown sugar on each piece. Mix one can tomato soup with 1/2 can of salsa and shake some oregano in there. Stir it and spoon it on top of the chicken. Sprinkle grated mozza over all and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or so. Serve with pasta.

- Chicken parts, olive oil, any dried herb (rosemary, thyme, oregano) or seasoning mix (Italian, Greek, Southwestern), salt, pepper - rub chicken with oil, sprinkle with seasoning mix, salt and pepper, roast at 375*F for 45 minutes-1 hour till done.

- 1 lb. Yukon Gold (cut in 1-inch cubes) or fingerling potatoes (cut in half), any dried herb (rosemary, thyme, oregano) or seasoning mix (Italian, Greek, Southwestern), salt, pepper - in large bowl, toss ingredients together, then spread in a single layer on a sheet pan and roast with chicken, above

- Can of diced tomatoes, 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, 2 cloves garlic, minced, oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper - Heat olive oil in saucepan, add garlic, saute 30 seconds; add tomatoes and oregano - simmer 15 minutes. Mash a little with potato masher or spatula. Add beans, salt and pepper to taste, cook till heated through.

I guess I have to agree with the comments made in the front of America's Test Kitchen's book, Quick Recipes - why limit yourself to 4 ingredients when 7 would make it better ... why limit yourself to 30-minutes only when 45 would make it exceptional?

Even Rachal Ray has admitted on TV that she can't make her 30-minute meals at home in just 30 minutes.

The only reason to limit the number of ingredients is convenience ... isn't that what the big craze was about back in the '50's with frozen vegetables and canned soups, etc?

Humm ... isn't that what Sandra Lee is promoting in her "Semi-Homemade" show/books?

IMHO - it's just a matter of knowing when and where to pick your battles. I grew up on short-cut cooking ... it isn't that bad.

Last edited:
OMG...I have a bazillion recipes. I don't count EVOO, salt and pepper as ingredients though.

Bacon wrapped shrimp with sage (Rachel Ray) Butterfly the shrimp and insert a sage leaf, then wrap with a small piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Cook in a skillet until browned and serve with Jack Daniels spicey brown mustard.

Sausage & Peppers Sausage, bell peppers, crushed tomatoes and a bun. Obviously you could add different herbs and onion as well.

Braised chicken legs and thighs Brown the chicken in a skillet, add sliced onion, whole canned tomatoes and chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Remove cover, season and reduce the sauce for about 10 minutes. Serve with rice.

Brats and Beer One package of Johnsonville originals slightly grilled. Place in a small foil baking tray with sliced onion and 1 1/2 bottles of your favorite brew. Place back on the grill for 20-30 minutes or until done. Flip the brats every so often and replenish the beer if it evaporates too much. Serve on a bun....or by itself with mustard.

Chicken Cesar Salad Buy one of those salad kits and either cook your own or buy the already cooked chicken. Mix salad, top with chicken, shave some Parm on top, pour some Pinot Grigio.

Bleu Cheese Wedge Quartered iceberg, chunky bleu cheese dressing, bacon bits and sliced radish.

Cheese steak Mince some leftover steak, sautee onion and green pepper, put on a toasted bun and top with cheese.

Some Kind of Chicken Roll Pound chicken breast into thin cutlets season with salt and pepper. Add a thin layer of drained frozen spinach, then a layer of cheese. Parmesan, harvarti, swiss, asiago or fontina work great. Truss with butchers twine and sautee until cooked.

Loaded baked potato Baked potato with shredded cheddar, bacon bits, sour cream and chives. Theres no limit to your creativity here.

Complete dinner NY Strips w/salt and pepper, mushrooms sauteed in evoo, roasted asparagus with garlic and red paper flakes. 4 ingredients besides the spices and evoo. :chef:

Last edited:
I know this is a bit of fun, but it can have a serious side as well, good discipline for the cook, although I would ask for a definition of 'ingredient'. For example, would a sauce, to go on meat/fish, be one ingredient, or several? a spice mix one, or several?

I have found it possible to balance a (simple) dish with just three ingredients, balanced for sweet/sour, water/oil and pungent/smoothness. Sometimes it takes four things if one of the ingredients is very s/s, w/o or s/p. Howevr, sometimes even two will do, try fresh root ginger and fresh pulped mango, or lime juice and pulped chilli/oil (oh thats three).

I know this is a bit of fun, but it can have a serious side as well, good discipline for the cook, although I would ask for a definition of 'ingredient'. For example, would a sauce, to go on meat/fish, be one ingredient, or several? a spice mix one, or several?

I totally agree with that. In fact, I try to limit the ingredients because I find the finished dish tastes better. You know "Less is More" or "K.I.S.S." Why bother, if you can't taste what your putting in there?

I dont particularly like making recipes with a million measurements and ingredients, it feels too much like work. I'll get through the first 2 steps then just wing it after that and hope for the best. :ROFLMAO:

What I'm having for supper..eating it right now!

Ciabatta bread
Oscar Meyer Chicken Breast Rotisserie Style lunch meat
Homeade thick cheese sauce
..heated...

I'm always trying to have breakfast dishes for our Sundays that are not just the same-old, same-old and still not get too goofy for the "bank," if you understand what I mean.

This weekend, I realized I had a small portion of cream cheese that needed to be used up and I had noticed, too, that the chives in my herb outside herb garden were "standing proud" after the winter.

So....I mixed about 4 large eggs and, mmmm, maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons of cream cheese cut into cubes and allowed to come to room temp and added something like 2 tablespoons of scissors-snipped chives. Whisked all together and set aside.

Then I heated up 4 tablespoons of salted butter in my nonstick skillet. Added the egg mixture and scrambled to our preference, which is very wet and soft. Turned out onto our plates and sprinkled a touch of more chopped chives. Awesome!! I'll definitely do that again.

The eggs were served with crispy-fried smoked bacon slices and homemade English muffins. Buck cleaned his plate.:angel:

I just boil some pasta, put it in an ovenproof dish, mix a can of pasta sauce in it, put cheese on top and bake it.

EGGS. anyway,shape or form. With anything in or out. Bacon, ham, pepperoni, burger, steak, potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, onions, scallions, mushrooms, peppers - any kind,salsa, 1,001 types of cheeses, 1,001 types of toast or english muffins, biscuits, cornbread.
It's my once a week (at least), easy, night off treat.

The perfect prepared food.
The prefect food: banana -never tried with eggs. humm.

Back
Top Bottom