How about this plating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
Tagliatelle alla bolognese:

16k5o2u.jpg

please ignore the wrinkly basil lol it's winter and my basil is reaching its end of life...
If i had the photography light set then I can get rid of the stupid shadow...

Last edited:
I like this plating a lot more. I think that when you plate some pasta it really should be high as opposed to spread over the plate. That said, maybe a little bit of sauce around the edge of the plate would help you utilize the whole plate or I would suggest using a smaller plate, or zooming in more. I think that it looks pretty good though.

I also like the stacked pasta presentation when it's a pasta dish like the one you are presenting.
Again, the plate is too big for the amount of food resulting in way too much white space around the food. Use a smaller plate or bowl, or crop the image to remove so much of the plate. Also, you can try a different angle to accentuate the height of the food. Don't always shoot at the same angle. Try different angles and see which you end up liking better. I think this one could benefit from a lower angle to allow the top of the pasta to appear above the rim of the plate, thus giving a sense of height. In this angle, the height is lost. Lighting. You don't need fancy lighting to get rid of shadows. It appears to me that you have a light set up right overhead of the food. That is what is causing the harsh shadows. Try moving the light farther away, or move the plate so the shadow falls behind the food a bit. Here is an example of what I mean. This picture was taken with only the florescent lighting from my kitchen ceiling. Because the lights are so far away, the shadows are really minimized.
73926_455579729003_598294003_5307255_1201734_n.jpg

hyperion, I think in general you have a natural flair for good presentation and I admire your desire to refine the skill with feedback and critique. I'd like to see more definition of a dish's ingredients/components, as though its photo alone could stand in place of the dish's written menu title.

Use a light reflector. You'd be surprised how effectively a sheet of white construction paper can fill in and diffuse the harsh shadows. Or, cover a sheet of cardboard with aluminum foil. Some means (a clump of playdough, etc) to hold the reflector in place, and free your hand, will help.

Thanks guys!
3 things on the to do list:

set up a table with white table cloth and some props so I can use other camera angles without having to reveal things in the house

get a cheap lighting set

get some more plates

3 lights -- main, fill at 1/3 power, and variable back to define edges.
It's an almost fail-proof setup. Hot, white light (sunlight) bulbs are preferred.
Looking forward to your next plating, hyperion!

I have the two stand lights but not the boom light. They work great for shooting video which was the main I bought them.

I shot this one at night using them without the Umbrellas.
Sweet fried plantains with ice cream | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This one was at night with the Umbrellas.

Strawberry Tuxedo with Heart Shaped Omelette | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Over all I am happy with them, for the price they are hard to beat. But they don't give that natural light look.

ppop, any other issues with the bulbs? lifespan, availability of replacements, etc?

The stand are built well enough for home use. So far no problems with the bulbs. They do sell replacement bulbs. Best of all they do not get extreamly hot. They get hot but no to bad.

Back
Top Bottom