"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I married my DH because his middle name starts with Q (just kidding--he has other qualities that were very attractive, but that middle name that started with the letter Q was definitely a factor). I loved writing the letter Q when I was a child...

Old 12-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I am not big on ganishes that aren't supposed to eaten. I would chiffonade the basil, but other than that It looks great
How is an entire leaf of basil considered a garnish not to be eaten? The diner could easily cut the basil as they eat their meal or eat the entire leaf at the end of the meal, sort of like one might do with a sprig of parsley. Certain Asian cultures stir entire leaves of basil into soups or wrap whole leaves into a roll.

However, I'd prefer the basil be cut in chiffonade or minced and showered over the dish. It would just add that nice sprinkling of green throughout the dish.

I think the "ring" of eggplant should have some sauce on, or around, it. Even if it means using some of the chunky parts of the sauce to rest on pieces of the eggplant. Also, the sauce wouldn't pool as much in the center if a flat plate were used instead of a bowl. Also, a different pasta may have held on to more of the liquid part of the sauce. Shells come to mind.
The cheese should be in smaller pieces and scattered all over. Perhaps even stirred in a bit. The cheese, as presented, looks more like an afterthought, than does the basil.

I like the height of the presentation. Doesn't look all spread out and has a nice "tight" look to it.

And I don't think the lighting is all that bad. A tad too bright, but that can be corrected in software or likely with a slight exposure adjustment with your camera. A tighter crop would hide the shadow under the bowl. Easy fix there. And the ingredients show almost no shadow, which is nice. Pushing the bowl back just a smidge so the rear edge of the rim is over the green, instead of white, would allow the rear edge of the bowl to show a bit more.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

For plating I like how you have mixed the dark and light colors and mixed the textures.
For the basil. I like to finely chop the herbs. But that is just me.
The cheese on the back side of the plate should be cleaned up. Anything outside your ring of eggplant should be wiped off of the plate.
From a photography perspective a different angle and a tighter shot would look better for no $$$.
From a food perspective I think that I would really like the dish.
I am going to post a pic of what I was served for lunch yesterday. I like how this place plates their food.

Lomo de Res con Salsa Vino Tinto by powerplantop, on Flickr
Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
For plating I like how you have mixed the dark and light colors and mixed the textures.
For the basil. I like to finely chop the herbs. But that is just me.
The cheese on the back side of the plate should be cleaned up. Anything outside your ring of eggplant should be wiped off of the plate.
From a photography perspective a different angle and a tighter shot would look better for no $$$.
From a food perspective I think that I would really like the dish.
I am going to post a pic of what I was served for lunch yesterday. I like how this place plates their food.

Lomo de Res con Salsa Vino Tinto by powerplantop, on Flickr
That's a really nice picture. I can never achieve such clarity (focus) with my camera as well as the level of background blur. all of my pictures seem really out of focus even with a tripod :(
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It looks delicious. The only thing I would change would be maybe a red or rust placemat. Green makes the food colors look a little off.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I think it looks good too.

For your sauce issue, I agree a different pasta would be better, pappradelli {sp} comes to mind, if you cook the pasta most of the way through and then toss it with the sauce you should have a better result. Additionally, if the sauce is too thin you will have a pooling issue regardless of the tomatoes/pasta used.

If you made a large batch of sauce, just remove the desired amount 2-4 servings and reduce slightly in a saucepan, then add the pasta and cook the rest of the way through, then plate. Lydia Bastianich is a great reference for this method.

And remember.......Play with your food!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #17
Head Chef

Mabe a sprinkle of parsley. Red , white and green are Itilain colors!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i wouldn't have used a ring of eggplant. that looks more like a plating for asian food.

rather, i would have made an arch or crescent of the eggplant rounds stacked up a bit on one corner of the plate, the pasta filling in the other 3/4's.

and yes, chiffonade the basil, and either form the ricotta more neatly, or spread smaller chunks of it around.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
That's a really nice picture. I can never achieve such clarity (focus) with my camera as well as the level of background blur. all of my pictures seem really out of focus even with a tripod :(
Thanks the focus etc is due to an expensive lens. Light was natural diffused sunlight. Colors were adjusted using aperture. But for plating look at a lot of photos. Check out some of the food groups on flickr. Also use google images to search for items you are going to cook. Find plantings that you like as well as ones you don't like. Then make it your way.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Hyperian, I found this today it may help your with your food shots. It was written for people starting out but has a lot of very good advice.

VeganYumYum » Food Photography for Bloggers