"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How about this plating :) Please advise

sorry about the terrible photography, I simply don't have the optimum lighting and camera to achieve it. but I would like to ask whether you have any suggestion on improving the plating:)

This is pasta alla norma. There's eggplants in the sauce as well as around the plate for presentation.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Executive Chef

That looks fabulous to me, Hyperion. I would probably put more sauce on it to eat it, but your photo looks really good. Is that cauliflower or cheese? I couldn't tell.

Yum city!

How about your recipe for it?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks! It actually has more sauce than I wanted... It just happens that the sauce goes right through the pasta and accumulates at the bottom when I plate it. I don't know how otherwise I can make it stay on top. The white stuff is ricotta cheese, salted and drained to mimic ricotta salata
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Half Baked

I am not big on ganishes that aren't supposed to eaten. I would chiffonade the basil, but other than that It looks great

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Recipe:
1 28onz can of whole peeled tomatoes, seeded and drained, juiced saved for later
3 japanese eggplants (tastes sweeter than the fat ones) sliced
2 cloves of garlic chopped
handful of basil leaves, chifonade

since eggplants tend to absorb a ton of oil, I just first tossed them in oil and salt, and then browned them on a dry cast iron pan.

heat olive oil in a small pot and add garlic till browned. Add the tomatoes and fry for a bit, before adding the juice and basil. When eggplants are all browned, toss them into the sauce and use a potato masher to break the tomatoes and eggplants into chunks. simply toss pasta in the sauce and it's done. You can serve with ricotta salata or pecorino
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Looks great! How was it to eat? Was there enough sauce to accompany the pasta and the eggplant? That's the key. You wouldn't want to run out of sauce and have a bunch of noodles and eggplant left bare.
One thing which can go amiss, is when people worry more about presentation than actual practicality. I mean, you have to be able to eat it with little or no effort, after all. You see lots of super looking burgers or sandwiches, but they fall apart before you can finish them.

Looks good!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Possibly might look and taste better drizzled with some good EVOO. The basil leaf almost looks like an afterthought. Ricotta quenelles would look good too. Just typing out random thoughts don't mind me.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Recipe:
1 28onz can of whole peeled tomatoes, seeded and drained, juiced saved for later
3 japanese eggplants (tastes sweeter than the fat ones) sliced
2 cloves of garlic chopped
handful of basil leaves, chifonade

since eggplants tend to absorb a ton of oil, I just first tossed them in oil and salt, and then browned them on a dry cast iron pan.

heat olive oil in a small pot and add garlic till browned. Add the tomatoes and fry for a bit, before adding the juice and basil. When eggplants are all browned, toss them into the sauce and use a potato masher to break the tomatoes and eggplants into chunks. simply toss pasta in the sauce and it's done. You can serve with ricotta salata or pecorino
Thank you! Eggplant is one of my very favorite foods!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

It tastes ok, mostly due to the canned tomato being from Hunts. San Marzano canned tomatoes would be much better, with more flavor and reduced acidity and salt. But the eggplants tastes good, and sauce was plentiful (they just sink to the bottom of the pasta, don't know how to make them stay on top).

I'm practicing plating/looks because I want to be able to write my own recipe book later lol
Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Possibly might look and taste better drizzled with some good EVOO. The basil leaf almost looks like an afterthought. Ricotta quenelles would look good too. Just typing out random thoughts don't mind me.
It is quenelles. Pronounced kenells with the accent on the second sylable....
That's my surname, actually