How Am I Going To Use Up All This Food?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
We are in our last count down to our big move from Southern Arizona to Northern Arizona.
I have a regulation side-by-side `fridge-freezer AND a small chest freezer,
FULL of food.
SO... here's my plan:
I'm going to inventory everything first and then try to figure out what types of meals I'm going to prepare.
Now, here's the catch:
I don't want to buy any more food, other than say fresh milk, eggs and the like.
I've already given my husband fair warning that there be a few "odd meals" along the way.

That's what I did when we cooked for my FIL last November after my MIL was hospitalized.

If you don't manage to eat everything, you could put anything left in the chest freezer, fill it the rest of the way with ice, and bring it with you :)

+1. I'm sure there is a hunger center somewhere near you that would welcome anything you have left.

If had better start the "produce and dairy only" routine when I shop. Otherwise, I'll be making a substantial donation of both frozen and shelf-staple goods to our local center. I hate passing up a good deal though :ermm:...

So, after having taken inventory (two padnote pages long),
both my husband and I agreed that we should do okay.

The rest of our plan, for right now, is that we will rent an apartment
in Northern Arizona until the house is done.
We hope to have it a couple of weeks prior to blast off.
We hope to take a load of stuff into the apartment ahead of time and then the last fairwell, take what's left with us.

I have WAY too much frozen asian noodles and goodies from Hawaii that are in our deep freeze.
GOSH! I have 13 packages of noodles!
6 Zippy's Chili
3 Portuguese Sausage

all like gold to us!

I think the others are right; perishables aren't accepted here, either. I just called and asked, LOL!

When we'd move in the Army, we had plenty of notice, so we'd either eat it or give it away. I always gave stuff to the privates' families; they needed it the most.

I'd think you'll be eating some interesting combinations of food now, and we want recipes! LOL!

I do hope your move goes smoothly. It's kind of exciting, isn't it?

Ya know, considering we live a rural-depressed area,
there are no food banks around.
And GG may be right, when we lived in Hawaii,
the food bank didn't want our stuff, only canned I should say.

That is too bad. The church I donate to has a commercial size fridge and freezer. They are always grateful for any ad all donations. At Thanksgiving and Christmas they pass out frozen turkeys and hams at Christmas. The main food bank in Boston stocks them up each year.

How about discreetly asking around if there might be one or two families that would put it all to good use. The school would be a good place to start. They see kids every day that need a good meal. :angel:

I think the others are right; perishables aren't accepted here, either. I just called and asked, LOL!

When we'd move in the Army, we had plenty of notice, so we'd either eat it or give it away. I always gave stuff to the privates' families; they needed it the most.

I'd think you'll be eating some interesting combinations of food now, and we want recipes! LOL!

I do hope your move goes smoothly. It's kind of exciting, isn't it?

CCL, we're over the moon excited!
We've been talking and planning for this for more than three years...

That is too bad. The church I donate to has a commercial size fridge and freezer. They are always grateful for any ad all donations. At Thanksgiving and Christmas they pass out frozen turkeys and hams at Christmas. The main food bank in Boston stocks them up each year.

How about discreetly asking around if there might be one or two families that would put it all to good use. The school would be a good place to start. They see kids every day that need a good meal. :angel:

Yeah, tried this too Addie, no luck...
I think it will work out though, we've found a house to rent month to month and we will be able to take alot of our "stuff" up there ahead of time.
Full kitchen, YAY!!!

Glad to hear it's all falling into place, kgirl. Can't wait to see pics of your new home! :flowers:

The food bank I volunteered at would accept home grown vegetables, dairy, fruits, anything they could get. We had a store donate almost 20 bottles of cream that were due to expire the next day. There were still about 14 of them left at the end of the day and I was allowed to bring them home. I made butter out of it all and froze it.

You'd think food banks would be falling all over themselves to get food now. Some of them are running out since so many people lost their food stamps.

The food bank I volunteered at would accept home grown vegetables, dairy, fruits, anything they could get. We had a store donate almost 20 bottles of cream that were due to expire the next day. There were still about 14 of them left at the end of the day and I was allowed to bring them home. I made butter out of it all and froze it.

You'd think food banks would be falling all over themselves to get food now. Some of them are running out since so many people lost their food stamps.

Also it is approaching summer and vacation time. Donations fall off but not the need. Then come Holiday time and the food banks are overrun with donations. Feast or Famine. :angel:

What To Do With All This Food?

So one of the items that I found in our freezer was a rather large package of previously fresh corn tortillas. Here in the middle of the desert, I can buy really fresh tortillas and then I freeze them for later consumption. With only 45 days to go to our big move to Northern Arizona, there is no way we were going to eat that many tacos...
DING!
Chips and Salsa for our afternoon snack!
001.JPG
This is my bowl, DH has his own.

Back
Top Bottom