How bad is MSG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A definitive word about the use of MSG, for me, comes from the Mayo Clinic:
A comprehensive review of all available scientific data on glutamate safety sponsored by the FDA in 1995 reaffirmed the safety of MSG when consumed at levels typically used in cooking and food manufacturing. The report found no evidence to suggest that MSG contributes to any long-term health problems, such as Alzheimer's disease. But it did acknowledge that some people may have short-term reactions to MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — may include:

• Headache, sometimes called MSG headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Sense of facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in or around the mouth
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. However, some people report more severe reactions. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG. When MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that "monosodium glutamate" be listed on the label — or on the menu, in restaurants.

I use very little soy sauce. Again, there are so many choices out there in Asian cuisine, why would I lean on one specific one all the time?
Who ever said anything about leaning on MSG all the time? That was never mentioned anywhere in this thread by anyone.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this. The reason I am passionate about this is that I have seen many people diss MSG over the years based on nothing more than hearsay. There are countless studies that show it is safe, yet because one person years ago said he felt sick and the media picked up on it and gave it a scary name like Chinese Food Syndrome, a perfectly normal ingredient has been ostracized for no real reason.

A definitive word about the use of MSG, for me, comes from the Mayo Clinic:
LOL then let me point out the parts that you seemd to have skimmed over. I will bold them for you so they stand out.
A comprehensive review of all available scientific data on glutamate safety sponsored by the FDA in 1995 reaffirmed the safety of MSG when consumed at levels typically used in cooking and food manufacturing. The report found no evidence to suggest that MSG contributes to any long-term health problems, such as Alzheimer's disease. But it did acknowledge that some people may have short-term reactions to MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — may include:

• Headache, sometimes called MSG headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Sense of facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in or around the mouth
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. However, some people report more severe reactions. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG. When MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that "monosodium glutamate" be listed on the label — or on the menu, in restaurants.
Now before you go and point out that there is a list of symptoms that I conveniently overlooked, let me point out to you that if you substitute the word alcohol for the word MSG then every single symptom still fits.

Also let me point out that this study does not indicate what "some" may mean in relation to where they say some people may experience these symptoms. I do not disagree that some people experience them. I have every reason to believe that "some" do. I also have reason to believe that "some" experience even more sever reactions. What I also have reason to believe though is that the number of people is far far far less then the media would have you believe. Talk to 10 people on the street and at least half will tell you they are affected by MSG, but when controlled scientific studies are done every time it shows less than 1% are honestly affected. Now compare that to how many people are affected with the same symptoms with alcohol and you have to wonder why people are so up in arms about MSG, but not their precious booze.

LOL then let me point out the parts that you seemd to have skimmed over. I will bold them for you so they stand out.

Now before you go and point out that there is a list of symptoms that I conveniently overlooked, let me point out to you that if you substitute the word alcohol for the word MSG then every single symptom still fits.

Also let me point out that this study does not indicate what "some" may mean in relation to where they say some people may experience these symptoms. I do not disagree that some people experience them. I have every reason to believe that "some" do. I also have reason to believe that "some" experience even more sever reactions. What I also have reason to believe though is that the number of people is far far far less then the media would have you believe. Talk to 10 people on the street and at least half will tell you they are affected by MSG, but when controlled scientific studies are done every time it shows less than 1% are honestly affected. Now compare that to how many people are affected with the same symptoms with alcohol and you have to wonder why people are so up in arms about MSG, but not their precious booze.
img_841273_0_cc7ed9a879c73fea5f945260b8b86ea1.gif

I recall, as a teenager, in my first "passionate about cooking" phase (before restaurant work and an ex-wife who hated everything I cooked killed it for a decade or so) I used to gather up cookbooks from yard sales, etc. all the time, just to find new ideas and recipes and concepts.

One such cookbook was all about Mexican food. I was so excited when I got hold of that book, because it was the first Mexican cookbook into my collection.

First thing I noticed as I explored it was that every single recipe included a teaspoon or so of "Accent".

I'd never heard of Accent before, had no idea what it was. So I set out to hunt it down. None of the local grocers carried it. I made some calls to specialty shops outside of the area. Finally one of them told me "No one carries Accent anymore because it's MSG, and everyone's freaked about the side effects."

I was shocked. Why would this cookbook feel the need to add a flavor enhancer to every single recipe?! Were the recipes so bland without it that they weren't worth eating?

So I experimented with the dishes in the book. And, lo and behold, I found myself needing to add other seasoning to the dishes because they were indeed pretty bland without the Accent. However, I also discovered pretty quickly that I didn't really need to resort to using such an ingredient, because there were many other ways to flavor a dish - and as we're all pretty much aware, MSG is not traditional in Tex/Mex or any other south of the border cuisine.

So, to answer your question about leaning on MSG all the time, yes, there have been time periods where cookbooks were published that did exactly that. That one was not an isolated incident for me. I found others out there that leaned on it in similar fashion. Most were published in the 50's/60's/70's - the height of our celebration in the US of chemical additives in home cookery....

Suffice to say, I stopped referring to those cookbooks other than for occasional raw ideas upon which I built completely different recipes from the published material.

I agree with the Metal Chef - very well said.

And I'm not an angry prohibitionist nor do I depend upon a chemical crutch. I prefer natural flavors.

A wonderful flavor enhancer is the humble mushroom. This fungus enhances the flavors of most meats, and a host of veggies. One of its main flavor componants is MSG, a naturally occuring substance in mushrooms. I use msg., but not a lot, as there are many great flavors out there, and it just isn't needed in much of what I prepare. But when it's needed, I do use it, & without fear. I am a believer in the idea of "all things in moderation". And that includes most herbs and spices too. Did you know, for instance, that both cinamon and nutmeg, as well as oregano, and most other herbs and spices have medicinal effects. Clove oil is sometimes used to relieve migrain pain. It can also make you sick. Cinamon helps control blood sugars. Harlic helps with cholesterol. Oregano relaxes the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach and can contribute to acid refulx disease.

Our bodies rely on the foods we eat, and most of them have both benificial and harmful affects on us. Eaten in moderation, we metabolize the good things and remove the bad. But anything overdone overwhelms our systems. Use wisdom in what you eat. Use a wide variety of things, and don't consentrate on too few foods or flavors.

So says Goodweed of the North. And no, I don't know everything. But I do know a lot. Do the research on many of your favorite flavorings and you just might be suprized. For instance, check out the medicinal effectc of basil.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

A wonderful flavor enhancer is the humble mushroom. This fungus enhances the flavors of most meats, and a host of veggies. One of its main flavor components is MSG, a naturally occuring substance in mushrooms.

Ah, but here you have the operative point - it's a naturally occurring component of the ingredient, not a chemical synthesis of an isolated component.

I'm glad to use mushrooms, seaweed, and other ingredients that also happen to have glutamates in them. I'm just not real big on using a chemical synthesis thereof.

You are the one talking about using it every single time though MC. No one else mentioned that. Quite the contrary actually. We have discussed using it in moderation, so I am not really sure why you keep coming back to this using it every time thing, but since you seem to be stuck on it let me ask you this. How many recipes that you make call for salt? Do you have the same aversion to the recipes that call for salt? Is that a crutch? Everyone I know who has gone to culinary school will say the same thing, that one of the very first lessons you learn is the importance of properly salting your dishes. 99 out of 100 recipes will call for salt, but I seriously doubt you could find a single chef who would say it is a crutch.

Do you have the same aversion to the recipes that call for salt? Is that a crutch?

I haven't used the word "crutch" at all, GB. I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Salt is a naturally occurring substance, as it sits. We mine it, pull it out of the sea, it's a huge component in our physiology - literally, without it we'd all die.

So no, I don't view salt the same way I view MSG.

As I mentioned above, I have no aversion to glutamic acid in its naturally occurring forms - mushrooms, seaweed, eggs, dairy products, meat, etc.

I just don't see a real necessity to add more of it (in a chemically synthesized form) to something that already contains it.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG), a compound represented by the formula C5H8NNaO4 • H2O
It is NOT just salt (NaCl). MSG is a form of sodium salt without the chlorine and is also a glumatic acid. There are more than 100 kinds of metalic salts of which most are poisonous. To equate MSG with table salt is like comparing a tricycle to a semi - they both have wheels... BUT!

And, it's not even the salt, but the glumatic acid that is the flavor enhancing component of MSG.

My impression is that GB is being anything but dogmatic. The original poster asked how bad MSG is for us. GB has answered that question with facts and research rather than relying on any junk science or unsupported fears.

Ah, the MSG debate again rears its head. Nice to see everyone being civil this time around. Sometimes this gets pretty ugly. Dang foodies are passionate!

You know, I've never actually purchased MSG or Accent to use, but thats mostly cuz I can't find it. I haven't purchased habanero peppers either though. EEK!

It seems to me that most food additives occur naturally somewhere. Thats why they get produced chemically to add to other things. They taste good.

This debate as with so many others really comes down to one thing, moderation. Anything at all can be hazardous to your health if you ingest too much of it, including the substance we all require to survive...water.

It seems to me that most food additives occur naturally somewhere. Thats why they get produced chemically to add to other things. They taste good.

Exactly my point - glutamic acid occurs everywhere in natural form. Heck, it's one of the most abundant neurotransmitters in mammalian brains.

Ah, the MSG debate again rears its head. Nice to see everyone being civil this time around. Sometimes this gets pretty ugly. Dang foodies are passionate!...

This debate as with so many others really comes down to one thing, moderation. Anything at all can be hazardous to your health if you ingest too much of it, including the substance we all require to survive...water.

It's been interesting, and even fun at times, but with Alix remark, I'm out of this thread. :)

Metal Chef, yep, I see your point totally. Mine is that as cooks many times we choose to add something chemically derived from a naturally occurring source to our food to make it taste better. Its just the way it goes. And...everything in moderation. You shouldn't use a handful of salt when a pinch will do. You shouldn't put salt in everything you cook. Now, sub in MSG where I wrote salt.

We are really all circling the same point here. A bit is OK, a lot is not.

Last edited:
Like I said, I'm not preaching a gospel of "don't ever use it" - that's a choice I make. By all means, you're free to choose a different culinary path than I do. There are a lot of really strange cooking habits I have on which I wouldn't expect anyone else to follow my lead.

I don't use MSG, and I avoid buying foods with it added. I see no point in it, and I find that it adds an undesirable or odd flavor to some foods. Moreover, it's yet another source of sodium, something I don't need.

Nonetheless, I understand that it's generally safe, although a certain percentage of the population does develop MSG symptom complex, which is characterized by a number of mild reactions when they consume a large amount of the stuff; people with severe or poorly controlled asthma are more prone to this (see FASEB study, contained in the report below).

One of the most reliable sources of mainstream scientific thinking about such matters is www.FoodSafety.gov - Gateway to Government Food Safety Information. Here's their report on MSG (LINK):

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used as a flavor enhancer in a variety of foods prepared at home, in restaurants, and by food processors. Its use has become controversial in the past 30 years because of reports of adverse reactions in people who've eaten foods that contain MSG. Research on the role of glutamate--a group of chemicals that includes MSG--in the nervous system also has raised questions about the chemical's safety.

Studies have shown that the body uses glutamate, an amino acid, as a nerve impulse transmitter in the brain and that there are glutamate-responsive tissues in other parts of the body, as well. Abnormal function of glutamate receptors has been linked with certain neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease and Huntington's chorea. Injections of glutamate in laboratory animals have resulted in damage to nerve cells in the brain. Consumption of glutamate in food, however, does not cause this effect. While people normally consume dietary glutamate in large amounts and the body can make and metabolize glutamate efficiently, the results of animal studies conducted in the 1980s raised a significant question: Can MSG and possibly some other glutamates harm the nervous system?

A 1995 report from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), an independent body of scientists, helps put these safety concerns into perspective and reaffirms the Food and Drug Administration's belief that MSG and related substances are safe food ingredients for most people when eaten at customary levels.

The FASEB report identifies two groups of people who may develop a condition the report refers to as "MSG symptom complex." One group is those who may be intolerant to MSG when eaten in a large quantity. The second is a group of people with severe, poorly controlled asthma. These people, in addition to being prone to MSG symptom complex, may suffer temporary worsening of asthmatic symptoms after consuming MSG. The MSG dosage that produced reactions in these people ranged from 0.5 grams to 2.5 grams.

Although FDA has not fully analyzed the FASEB report, the agency believes that the report provides the basis to require glutamate labeling. FDA will propose that foods containing significant amounts of free glutamate (not bound in protein along with other amino acids) declare glutamate on the label. This would allow consumers to distinguish between foods with insignificant free glutamate levels and those that might contribute to a reaction.

What Is MSG?

MSG is the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamic acid and a form of glutamate. It is sold as a fine white crystal substance, similar in appearance to salt or sugar. It does not have a distinct taste of its own, and how it adds flavor to other foods is not fully understood. Many scientists believe that MSG stimulates glutamate receptors in the tongue to augment meat-like flavors.

Asians originally used a seaweed broth to obtain the flavor- enhancing effects of MSG, but today MSG is made by a fermenting process using starch, sugar beets, sugar cane, or molasses.

Glutamate itself is in many living things: It is found naturally in our bodies and in protein-containing foods, such as cheese, milk, meat, peas, and mushrooms.

Some glutamate is in foods in a "free" form. It is only in this free form that glutamate can enhance a food's flavor. Part of the flavor-enhancing effect of tomatoes, certain cheeses, and fermented or hydrolyzed protein products (such as soy sauce) is due to the presence of free glutamate.

Hydrolyzed proteins, or protein hydrolysates, are acid- treated or enzymatically treated proteins from certain foods. They contain salts of free amino acids, such as glutamate, at levels of 5 to 20 percent. Hydrolyzed proteins are used in the same manner as MSG in many foods, such as canned vegetables, soups, and processed meats.

Scientific Review

In 1959, FDA classified MSG as a "generally recognized as safe," or GRAS, substance, along with many other common food ingredients, such as salt, vinegar, and baking powder. This action stemmed from the 1958 Food Additives Amendment to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which required premarket approval for new food additives and led FDA to promulgate regulations listing substances, such as MSG, which have a history of safe use or are otherwise GRAS.

Since 1970, FDA has sponsored extensive reviews on the safety of MSG, other glutamates and hydrolyzed proteins, as part of an ongoing review of safety data on GRAS substances used in processed foods.

One such review was by the FASEB Select Committee on GRAS Substances. In 1980, the committee concluded that MSG was safe at current levels of use but recommended additional evaluation to determine MSG's safety at significantly higher levels of consumption. Additional reports attempted to look at this.

In 1986, FDA's Advisory Committee on Hypersensitivity to Food Constituents concluded that MSG poses no threat to the general public but that reactions of brief duration might occur in some people.

Other reports gave similar findings. A 1991 report by the European Communities' (EC) Scientific Committee for Foods reaffirmed MSG's safety and classified its "acceptable daily intake" as "not specified," the most favorable designation for a food ingredient. In addition, the EC Committee said, "Infants, including prematures, have been shown to metabolize glutamate as efficiently as adults and therefore do not display any special susceptibility to elevated oral intakes of glutamate."

A 1992 report from the Council on Scientific Affairs of the American Medical Association stated that glutamate in any form has not been shown to be a "significant health hazard."

Also, the 1987 Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization have placed MSG in the safest category of food ingredients.

Scientific knowledge about how the body metabolizes glutamate developed rapidly during the 1980s. Studies showed that glutamate in the body plays an important role in normal functioning of the nervous system. Questions then arose on the role glutamate in food plays in these functions and whether or not glutamate in food contributes to certain neurological diseases.

Anecdotal Evidence

Many of these safety assessments were prompted by unconfirmed reports of MSG-related adverse reactions. Between 1980 and 1994, the Adverse Reaction Monitoring System in FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition received 622 reports of complaints about MSG. Headache was the most frequently reported symptom. No severe reactions were documented, but some reports indicated that people with asthma got worse after they consumed MSG. In some of those cases, the asthma didn't get worse until many hours later.

Also, several books and a TV news show have reported widespread and sometimes life-threatening adverse reactions to MSG, claiming that even small amounts of manufactured glutamates may cause adverse reactions.

A problem with these unconfirmed reports is that it is difficult to link the reactions specifically to MSG. Most are cases in which people have had reactions after, but not necessarily because of, eating certain foods containing MSG.

While such reports are helpful in raising issues of concern, they do not provide the kind of information necessary to describe who is most likely to be affected, under what conditions they'll be affected, and with what amounts of MSG. They are not controlled studies done in a scientifically credible manner.

1995 FASEB Report

Prompted by continuing public interest and a flurry of glutamate-related studies in the late 1980s, FDA contracted with FASEB in 1992 to review the available scientific data. The agency asked FASEB to address 18 questions dealing with:

• the possible role of MSG in eliciting MSG symptom complex
  • the possible role of dietary glutamates in forming brain lesions and damaging nerve cells in humans
  • underlying conditions that may predispose a person to adverse effects from MSG
  • the amount consumed and other factors that may affect a person's response to MSG
  • the quality of scientific data and previous safety reviews.
FASEB held a two-day meeting and convened an expert panel that thoroughly reviewed all the available scientific literature on this issue.

FASEB completed the final report, over 350 pages long, and delivered it to FDA on July 31, 1995. While not a new study, the report offers a new safety assessment based on the most comprehensive existing evaluation to date of glutamate safety.

Among the report's key findings:

• An unknown percentage of the population may react to MSG and develop MSG symptom complex, a condition characterized by one or more of the following symptoms:
  • burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest
  • numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back
  • tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms
  • facial pressure or tightness
  • chest pain
  • headache
  • nausea
  • rapid heartbeat
  • bronchospasm (difficulty breathing) in MSG-intolerant people with asthma
  • drowsiness
  • weakness.
  • In otherwise healthy MSG-intolerant people, the MSG symptom complex tends to occur within one hour after eating 3 grams or more of MSG on an empty stomach or without other food. A typical serving of glutamate-treated food contains less than 0.5 grams of MSG. A reaction is most likely if the MSG is eaten in a large quantity or in a liquid, such as a clear soup.
  • Severe, poorly controlled asthma may be a predisposing medical condition for MSG symptom complex.
  • No evidence exists to suggest that dietary MSG or glutamate contributes to Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's chorea, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, AIDS dementia complex, or any other long-term or chronic diseases.
  • No evidence exists to suggest that dietary MSG causes brain lesions or damages nerve cells in humans.
  • The level of vitamin B6 in a person's body plays a role in glutamate metabolism, and the possible impact of marginal B6 intake should be considered in future research.
  • There is no scientific evidence that the levels of glutamate in hydrolyzed proteins causes adverse effects or that other manufactured glutamate has effects different from glutamate normally found in foods.
Ingredient Listing

Under current FDA regulations, when MSG is added to a food, it must be identified as "monosodium glutamate" in the label's ingredient list. Each ingredient used to make a food must be declared by its name in this list.

While technically MSG is only one of several forms of free glutamate used in foods, consumers frequently use the term MSG to mean all free glutamate. For this reason, FDA considers foods whose labels say "No MSG" or "No Added MSG" to be misleading if the food contains ingredients that are sources of free glutamates, such as hydrolyzed protein.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom