How bad is MSG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I will ask again, are you saying that those of us who trust the many many reports that show that MSG is safe to use are naive and have no sense and now let me add to that, blind?

By your post above, no one should trust anything ever. Do you use a cell phone? I can show you studies that show they cause brain tumors. Do you drink coffee or wine? I can show you studies that show both are horrible for your health.

Studies aside, what about the millions upon millions of Asians who have used MSG every day of their loves who have continued to live normal healthy lives? Are they blindly going by "studies and reports"?

Hey, if you want to risk your health over a chemical food additive that is unnecessary and can be duplicated by natural cooking techniques, you just go right ahead. Who am I to tell someone that Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny aren't real, and to not believe everything they read. But at least you won't be able to say you weren't cautioned.

Being ex-military, I will defend your right to use as much MSG as you want.... and when you turn 60, think about this conversation then. Will it have been worth it?

I see you conveniently have avoided answering my questions yet again. Well I can see where this is going. I find your implications incredibly rude and offensive, but I will be done discussing this with you. Good day.

I see you conveniently have avoided answering my questions yet again. Well I can see where this is going. I find your implications incredibly rude and offensive, but I will be done discussing this with you. Good day.

GB, I think you are wise in your decision. Reasonable people can disagree. But the discussion should be based on logic and not emotion or disingenuousness.

I am continually amazed at those who decry what might be considered "mainstream" news or reports and yet will blindly accept the most unfounded, fear-mongering assertions from sites or sources considerably lacking in credibility.

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

MSG should be avoided by persons on a low-sodium diet, including those with high blood pressure. So says the National Institutes for Health.

This site, which is a bit more toward the outer edge of the envelope, has some interesting information about MSG: MSGTruth.org

But as I said before, I just don't see any point in the stuff. To me, it often alters the taste of particular foods, upsetting the balance in a recipe. I just don't care for the result, and I see no reason to add it to food. Others probably feel the same about salt or pepper.

Back
Top Bottom