"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Just splitting hairs here, so please don't take it personally. For Andy, you know that I hold your culinary knowledge in high regard. Papain is indeed found in papaya, and also, I believe in kiwi fruit. The tenderizing enzyme found in pineapple however, is bromelain. As you stated, Adolph's Meat tenderizer contains papain. McCormic's Meat Tenderizer uses bromelain.

An interesting fact about fresh pineapple is that the bromelain is powerful enough, along with the naturally occuring acids, to cause skin irritation and sometimes damage. People who work with raw pineapple must wear protective gloves. To much raw pineapple can cause your tongue to actually bleed.

I'm not sure about papain, but bromelain is denatured by heat, which is why you can use canned pineapple in jello, while fresh pineapple prevents it from setting up.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
i knew about the pineapple weed. the enzyme breaks down protein so it is breaking down the protein in the skin thats what causes the problems. right?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #62
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Just splitting hairs here, so please don't take it personally. For Andy, you know that I hold your culinary knowledge in high regard. Papain is indeed found in papaya, and also, I believe in kiwi fruit. The tenderizing enzyme found in pineapple however, is bromelain...

Thanks for posting the correct info, GW. I got carried away.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #63
Master Chef

Accent is something I haven't used since the 70's but sources claim that it contains papain. Otherwise it would be useless as a tenderizer.

accent papain - Google Search=

My google search also came up with a strange application of MSG for dogs ....
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #64
Chief Eating Officer

My bottle does not say anything about it being used as a tenderizer and only lists MSG and not papain. Perhaps They changed it at some point?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #65
Master Chef

I think people still consider it to be a tenderizer, also

accent "meat tenderizer" - Google Search=
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #66
Chief Eating Officer

Well that search does not mean the info is accurate. For instance, the first result turned up Yahoo Answers, which is one of the worst places to get info usually. The food information I have seen there is horrible. For instance, today I saw a question about if you can drink too much water. Countless people said their is no danger in that and it is actually good for you. The OP was drinking 6 Liters a day. That is a recipe for death.

My only point being, that I can only go buy what is on my bottle and it very clearly states the only ingredient in the bottle is MSG.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #67
Head Chef

If Accent had any tenderizing properties, you can bet the manufacturer would say so. The fact that the manufacture does NOT claim that Accent does anything other than enhance flavors is pretty conclusive evidence in my mind that the product is not a meat tenderizer, regardless of what some people may erroneously believe. Here's the link to the site: Welcome to B&G Foods, Inc.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #68
Senior Cook

So, out of curiosity, for those of you who use Accent, what is the benefit of using this over regular salt?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #69
Chief Eating Officer

It is not to be used in place of regular salt apple*tart. It is to be used in conjunction. Think of it as just another spice in your repertoire. Just as you may add salt and pepper and thyme and cumin to a dish you might also add MSG on top of that.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #70
Senior Cook

Ah - I didn't realize that. I guess I was confused because it's billed as a flavor enhancer, which is basically what salt is. So what does MSG taste like, then? I remember having this stuff in the cupboard when I was a kid, but I don't recall its flavor.