How big of an oven do I need for a family?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puppymom6

Assistant Cook
I need some help choosing a new oven. My old one that came with the house has a burned out control panel. Rather than having it fixed at great expense, I am opting for a new slide in, as I think the design of the old one is flawed. I have not been able to use the left front burner for 4 years when the oven was on since the control panel would overheat from a large hot pot on that burner and shut off the oven.
The oven that I really want has no computerized electronics- just knobs to twist which I prefer. But it seems so small. The interior dimensions of the oven are 22.5 inches wide, 17.25 inches deep and ONLY 10 inches from the bottom rack to the oven top. That would be OK for trays of cookies, cakes,my dutch oven, but I am really concerned that it is too small for roasting a turkey or a ham, which I like to do on occasion. Otherwise I really like it. It is a 30 inch duel fuel slide in by DCS. It has a power burner that would be really great for canning and meals in a hurry, also a simmer burner.
Any advice?

I think you'd have more luck posting in the "Cooking Accessories > Appliances" category.

FYI, DCS makes a fine product. Look on line for their brochure and check sizes with other manufactures. Take a roaster or pot with you to the show room and check it out for yourself.

Start with opening in your cabinets. You have to fit new oven (btw, when you say oven do you mean like a regular stove with oven or just oven, sorry wasn't sure?) into old opening, unless you're planing to remodel your kitchen. Personaly I'd go with the bigest one you can get.

Hmmm. Why is EVERYTHING getting smaller?! :mad: From washing machines, to refrigerators to - now - ovens. The only answer that I can personally come up with is the pressure from environmental groups. They're pressuring for lower energy consumption, but instead of actually improving the energy consumption, manufacturers just reduce the size thereby reducing energy. That's NOT a good answer. It only makes for more work (and energy consumption) for us in the end. :glare:

If I could do two loads of laundry all at once with a bigger machine, it would cost less (energy wise) than having to run another machine twice!

/rant

Sorry about that. I just get annoyed.

I agree with CharlieD on also checking the size of what is allotted to you in your home just to be sure. I also would get the biggest that would fit too.

Good luck!

I just checked out DCSranges.com and the 30" ranges both all gas and dual fuel have 4 to 4.2 cubic foot of oven space. That's quite reasonable.

Are you looking at US items or the smaller ones built for parts of Europe and Asia? DCS is part of an international company Fisher and Paykel.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I did take my roaster and drive back to the city to try out the 30" model. The roaster fit beautifully! I think it looks deceivingly small because it is wider than it is tall. The other features are fabulous too- I am excited about nothing being digital!

It should be installed by the fourth of July!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom