"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question How can frozen whipping cream be used? MERGED

I cook for a church children's program. I have three half gallons of frozen whipping cream. I thawed one and the fat has separated into tiny globules and the cream will not whip. Is there any way I can reconstitute it? I would like to use it for whipped cream. If not, what can I use it for?

Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I would think you could still use it for cooking - but that is a lot of cream to use that way. I freeze my whipping cream in spoonfuls on a tray and use it asap and have never frozen it in bulk. I'm sure there will be someone who can answer your question. Perhaps you can use it in sauces????????with a whisk, of course.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Fettucini with Alfredo sauce is always a good use of heavy cream. A Creamy soup is a good candidate as well. You can also use it for Custard's. Smaller uses , you can make some really good Hot Choclate mixing Heavy Whipping cream, Milk, Cocoa Powder, Sugar ( Or Substitute) and some melted Choclate ( Of your prefered brand).

As far as the reconstituting goes I am not sure.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you for replying. I also freeze whipped cream in portions. This cream has not been whipped. It was donated to the program. I hate to just throw it out.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Everymom

Is it sweetened? If so, you can use a small cookie scoop and roll them in coconut or something like that and serve as dessert like things. If not, I would use it in cream based sauces and soups as Josh suggested.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Maybe it was thawed too much...refreeze it and try....who knows..if the others look good when froze maybe it just got too warm. If you find they are ok frozen try making "Death By Chocolate" Ill have to post that somewhere.....that can be chilled and the whipping cream should stay good......with the recipe you can single serve it and make it look like a bucket of worms......
Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

All you have to do is whipp the cream now. I do it all the time. We can't get fresh whipped cream so we buy frozen, defrost and whipp. Works as well as the regular one or better, because you can add coloring, or flavor.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

Well, if you thaw the cream in the refrigerator (to keep it cold) and then whip it like crazy I don't see why it wouldn't work to make "whipped cream". I've had some that was frozen for 6-months and it worked fine - like CharlieD said ... just took a couple of minutes longer to whip up using my stand mixer with the whisk attachment - an electric hand mixer would work just as well.

The "fat has separated into tiny globules" problem is basically like a broken emulsion. If the cream is cold and you whip it like crazy it should come together.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:06 AM   #9
Executive Chef

If nothing else, I bet you could make butter!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

This recipe calls for half and half, but I see no reason why you couldn't use cream (or cream that you have diluted with a little 2% milk)

MIMI'S CAFE CORN CHOWDER
Source: Mimi's Cafe in Torrance
Yield: 9 servings

1/4 cup butter, (1/2 stick)
6 tablespoons chopped onion
3/4 cup diced celery
2 1/2 cups hot water
2 cups cubed peeled boiling potatoes, (1/2-inch pieces)
3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
Dash white pepper
3 tablespoons flour
1 quart half and half cream

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery and saute 5 minutes until soft but not brown. Add water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 30 minutes. Whisk flour into 1 cup half and half. Stir into soup. Add remaining 3 cups half and half and simmer until soup has thickened to creamy consistency, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed. If too thick, add milk; if too thin, simmer 5 to 10 more minutes.