"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah, i know people like it, and it's not actually a chemical mixture, but it still tastes funky to me. like certain herbs, i can pick out the tiniest amonut in most dishes.

hmm, i wonder if i could taste it in food that was also actually smoked?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Senior Cook

yeah, thats fair....i only use it when grilling isnt an option, and only use a small amount to provide a "hint" of smoke....any more than that would prob taste weird

but it is nice to have ocassionally

Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

You should try one of those things I posted in the "favorite gadget" thread. It's almost like you are grilling, but without the drippings dcsaute mentioned. If you are using a gas stove that is. And a splash of liquid smoke in there just might come halfway to tasting like your food was grilled. Grillex or something like that it is called. The latest and greatest must have kitchen appliance, lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Cast iron grill/griddle is the one!

Thanks everyone! The cast iron griddle/grill is exactly what I was looking for Zareh, but I just couldn't think of the name. The Grillex looks like pretty interesting too! Now my challenge is finding one that is of great quality- not made in China and no aluminum on the cooking area :D
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinkris View Post
Now my challenge is finding one that is of great quality- not made in China and no aluminum on the cooking area :D
That could be a challenge alright. Good luck and let us know what works.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I get wonderful smokey flavor from my little Cameron stove top smoker. Others here can vouch for it too. Then maybe use the stove top CI griddle and continue cooking whatever you have for the char.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I get wonderful smokey flavor from my little Cameron stove top smoker. Others here can vouch for it too. Then maybe use the stove top CI griddle and continue cooking whatever you have for the char.
Also a great idea. Thanks Dawgluver, I'm looking into this right now!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinkris
Also a great idea. Thanks Dawgluver, I'm looking into this right now!
Check out Amazon, and Kayelle and Katie's posts here on DC about the smoker. We all prefer the bigger smoker.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Grill Without a Grill!

Hi Cookinkris - try this and hopefully you will enjoy.......

Imitating the flavor of grilling without using a grill is possible with some advance planning. People who live in apartments or in cold winter climates find it necessary to either go out to eat food with a grilled flavor or they have to find ways to imitate that great grilled flavor. You may find this of some use

Instructions

• 1 Buy a good cut of fresh meat. Fresh meat helps to enhance the flavors added. Buying meat from a butcher is the best option. Look for good marbling to help the tenderness of the meat.

• 2 Pierce each cut of meat with a fork several times to maximize the absorption of seasonings and flavors.

• 3 Marinate the meat for at least 2 hours using southwest style seasonings. You can find these in the seasoning section of the supermarket. Using a dry rub is also possible, but marinating the meat will help it to stay juicy during cooking.

• 4 Preheat the oven to the temperature recommended for the type of meat you are cooking.

• 5 Mix a liquid smoke marinade by following the directions on the bottle. Place the mixture in a shallow oven proof dish. Place on the lower shelf of the oven below the meat you're cooking. For a more intense grilled flavor, add liquid smoke flavored product to the marinade or lightly brush onto the meat before cooking.

• 6 Place the meat on a broiling pan and cook until it is cooked to your personal preference.

• 7 Add barbecue sauce if desired once the meat is cooked. Barbecue sauce that is added before the meat is cooked will form a burned crust over the meat.

Enjoy.......

All the best,
Mark
Old 09-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Good post mark, this is the traditional way in the UK to get that flavor on your steaks.
1 fill a watering can with sprinkler nozzle
2 Place bbq lighter cubes in a plastic bag with your steaks and marinade in the fridge for 6 hrs.
3 put on a silly hat
4 consume 6 cans of German larger
5 place a stool next to the bath
6 place steaks in a frying pan and get into the bath holding the frying pan in your left hand.
7 get your partner to light the butane blow torch. Tip if you forgot step 2 use a kerosene blow torch.
8 get your partner to mount the stool and sprinkle a steady stream of water down the back of your neck as you apply the blow torch to the meat.
9 when you have got the correct charcoal finish let the steak rest in the dustbin, change and go out for a curry.
I would recommend for the novice to fill the bath.

Tags
grill