How can I substitute ground beef for mild or medium sausage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rach17

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am making party rye pizzas for new years eve. I do not eat pork so I have to use all beef. The last time I made it I remember someone saying it was a little bland. I followed the recipe with Velveeta cheese, Worcester, and ketchup. The only thing that I did different was used ground beef instead of Rice's mild/medium sausage. What can I add to my ground beef to get the same impact as using the mild/medium sausage? Thanks!:chef:

What you might want to do is to "perk" up the basic flavor. Instead of using ketchup, use canned/bottled spaghetti sauce. The sauce has more spunk than plain ketchup. Substitute shredded mozzarella for the Velveeta. Lose the Worcestershire sauce. You certainly can use ground beef, but when you brown it add some chopped garlic and onions. The beef will be more robust.

You don't have to use pork sausage to create a pizza. Have fun and enjoy!

Season the beef with dried oregano, granulated or powdered garlic, S&P, grated parmesan (can is OK), and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Personally, I prefer the ground beef to pork sausage on a pizza.

Much as I love Velveeta Cheese, (and yes, I have used it for pizza when that's all I had, and my kids loved it), use at least some grated mozzarella! If you buy a chunk of the store brand and grate it yourself, it will be just as cheap as the Velveeta.

Check your grocer for turkey sausage. I use it all the time to make meals that have less fat. Last weekend I made a breakfast casserole with turkey sausage and my Dad could not tell the difference.

This. I was gonna say turkey sausage as well.

I was also going to say turkey or chicken sausage. You can also make your own by buying plain ground turkey or chicken and adding your own herbs and spices to it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom