How can you consistently separate Kefir into curds and whey for cheesemaking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blarghhh

Assistant Cook
I have trouble getting my Kefir to cleanly separate on a consistent basis, despite allowing it to sit out for multiple extra days, prior to refrigeration. As my house does not remain at the same temperature year round (nor day-to-day), I suspect temperature is a major contributor to the problem. I have tried heaters, and although I can get the room quite hot, the separation is minimal, just as without the heaters. Is there a special heater, etc. for this separation that would work for kefir cheese?

My wife has Kefir. She puts the Kefir culture (whatever you call it) in a quart glass fruit jar. Then adds cold whole milk, covers it with a paper towel and let's it sit on the counter. she changes the milk about every 2 days. She is adamant about not using metal. she pour the culture into a plastic colander and stirs it with a plastic spatula (don't push it, just stir) then she drinks what is strained out and returns the clumps to the jar and adds more milk - then repeat - repeat... The only time she puts it in the fridge is if we are going on vacation and will not be home to change it. She says that it stops the culture if you put it in the fridge. This must work as she has split this several times to give friends a starting culture. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input, but I don't think that directly relates to making cheese from kefir.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom