How Do I Amplify the Taste of Prawns and Squid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudtimud

Assistant Cook
I've been working on my Seafood fried rice for weeks and its gradually improving. The trouble is, most of its taste comes from the eggs that are added to the rice. I'm looking for something, or some way, to 'bring out' the flavour of the prawns and the squid as it always get 'overruled' by the egg flavour.
Any suggestions? Should I season the seafood with something other than salt and pepper?

I've tried adding lesser eggs to achieve an equilibrium between the flavours of the seafood and the egg but it just ends up tasting too bland.:ermm:

The majority of the shrimp flavor is in the shells. After shelling your shrimp, simmer the shells (and heads if you have them) in a minimum of water and reduce it to a concentrate. Use some (or all) of this concentrate to cook your rice.

I don't know about the squid.

The cooked egg should be a minimum component to your mixture. If it over powers ANY other flavor, you're using too much. It's used more for flecks of color than flavor.

Fried rice can be served using an accompanying sauce (served on the side). It doesn't have to be a strong flavor, nor even soy sauce based.

You could add some dried shrimps for an exposive shrimp flavor.They are the sold in asian markets and are tiny little whole dried shrimp.My cambodian buddy uases them a lot in his noodle dishes and they are really good.

Lemon juice (from real lemons, not a bottle) and zest are the first things I use to lift the flavor of seafood. Just a little goes a long way to brighten the flavor.

Nice to meet you mudtimud...

Dashi is a Japanese fish stock that really boosts the flavor of seafood dishes.
Clam juice could be used in a pinch but dashi is best.
Also Knorr carries a shrimp and fish stock cube (like boullion cubes)
that can be found in asian markets.

I love the other suggestions here too like
4meandthem's dried shrimp and selkie's shell stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom