How do I Bake a Potato?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beesidhu

Assistant Cook
I know this might be very simple ...but can anyone tell how to do this ???The ones using Russet Potatoes its like half open and fillied with potato aswell ..Thanks!:)

beesidhu said:
I know this might be very simple ...but can anyone tell how to do this ???The ones using Russet Potatoes its like half open and fillied with potato aswell ..Thanks!:)

Take a large Russet potato and scrub it clean. Prick it with a fork or the point of a sharp knife. Bake in a 425º oven for about 1-1 1/2 hrs, until golden brown and cripsy on the outside. Remove the potato and cut in half. scoop out the potato from inside, mix with butter, salt, pepper and a good helping of grated cheese, return the filling to the potato shell and stick back in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese melts.

Yum, a twice baked potato, they are so good and can be topped with so many things. I like to whip my scraped out potato with butter,salt/pepper,sour cream and top with crispy bacon bits and cheese.I make several twice baked potatoes at once and then freeze any left over. I then thaw and reheat in oven or I nuke it.

Or make them even more special up to a one dish meal. Bake, scrape, add butter, sour cream, caramelized onions, thawed squeezed chopped broccoli or spinach, and leftover diced ham or browned sausage.
They freeze well on a cookie sheet and then store in plastic bags.

I make baking potatoes quicker by washing and pricking first then microwaving them for 10 minutes (timing depends on your microwave). Then I rub them all over with some olive oil and sprinkle on some sea salt then stick in a baking dish (I use an old shallow round cake tin!) and bake for about 40mins for two. They come up wonderfully crisp and golden brown on the outside yet fluffy on the inside.

When done I take them out slice the top onto quarters and mash the inside lightly with a fork, adding butter and seasoning and then whatever else I fancy. Cheese and bacon is always good, especially with a couple drops of Tabasco and Maggi seasoning and a little dried mixed herbs. Then eat as it is with some extra fresh black pepper or stick in the oven a little longer till cheese is bubbly :) Nothing fancy but such a warming dish when it's cold outside or you've had a dreary day :)

Thanks ...i will try both ways .....been wanting to have that ..just did not wanted to go wrong ..thanks ..

Love them with just butter, s&p, or with sour creqm. The double baked are also great.

There are a lot of variations.

So called 'jacket potatoes' have become fairly standard pub grub in the UK and they are just baked taters topped, or filled, with all sorts of things. Some of the most common are cheddar, homemade chilli, tuna with mayonnaise, homemade curry or prawns in Marie Rose sauce (essentially ketchup in mayo).

Can Google for many more ideas.

Enjoy.

Potatoes.

What i do is pick out the big potatoes. Wash, and boil, until a little soft.
Cut them in half.
Use a knife to carefully scoop or cut out middle. Boil the middles in a little milk and salt. Then mash in some butter. U can put other fillings in here too, but this is the basic idea.
Lay out other parts of the potato on a baking tray. Fill the hollows, with the buttery mashed potato.
Bake in the oven, until golden brown.

Mel

Potatoes.

That is a good idea Jules. Microwaving first.

Mel

beesidhu said:

After washing and scrubbing the potatoes, I like to rub the skin with a bit of soft butter or oil and sprinkle with salt. Then prick the top of the potato with a fork several times (so the potato doesn't explode!) Bake it at about 425F for an hour. For a simple baked potato, gently squeeze it from each end until it pops open (careful! it's hot!) and top with butter, sour cream, snipped chives if you'd like, salt & pepper to taste.

For the "stuffed" (twice baked) potato I think you're talking about, carefully scoop out the flesh with a spoon leaving only the shell (hold the potato in an oven mitt or kitchen towel). Mash the potato flesh and add just a little milk or cream and butter. Place this mixture back in the potato shell. Sprinkle whatever you'd like on the top (some folks like to mix this into the mashed potato, could go either way) - crumbled bacon, grated cheese, etc.

and you simply Must add Bacon bits to the cheese too!

a splash of Worcester sauce doesn`t hurt any either :))

Back
Top Bottom