How do I boil potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a bit tasty isn't it? But try it in mash - it would go brilliantly with a steak! ;)
It's not really a cheese we see much around here. I would have to go to a specialty store and I betcha it costs an arm and a leg. We had it in the resto of a fancy hotel.

It's not really a cheese we see much around here. I would have to go to a specialty store and I betcha it costs an arm and a leg. We had it in the resto of a fancy hotel.

It's not exactly cheap here! But you could use another strong blue cheese - I'm sure there are some lovely Canadian varieties? (Milder blue cheeses like Gorgonzola or Dolcelatte don't work as well.)

It's not exactly cheap here! But you could use another strong blue cheese - I'm sure there are some lovely Canadian varieties? (Milder blue cheeses like Gorgonzola or Dolcelatte don't work as well.)
I don't think I have ever seen a Canadian blue cheese. That's odd, there are some really good cheeses made here.

And, if I get my hands on some Stilton, I will munch it, maybe with some slices of apple. :pig:

I don't think I have ever seen a Canadian blue cheese. That's odd, there are some really good cheeses made here.

And, if I get my hands on some Stilton, I will munch it, maybe with some slices of apple. :pig:

No Canadian blue cheese? That is astonishing! (Surely an opportunity for some enterprising cheese maker?)

I think we are pretty spoilt for cheese in Britain. We have a huge variety! (We even have a herd of Buffalo right here in Hampshire, which regularly produces some stunning Buffalo Mozzarella!)

Stilton and apple is a classic combo! :cool:

(It's also gorgeous crumbled on top of a Portobello mushroom, with chopped walnuts, and chopped up bacon or ham, and then grilled or baked). :pig:

I think we hijacked Countrywalks' thread! I hope s/he comes back to let us know how they got on with the mash! :)

Do you ever add blue cheese to your mash TL? I love to crumble in something like Stilton. Only problem is I often end up just scoffing half of it there and then! :pig:

I have to have three halfs of Stilton, one for the meal, one for me and one for the spoiled rotten cat!:ROFLMAO:

bloody ridiculous addie(pardon my language)nearly 3million unemployed,utility prices going bonkers,working brits using food banks,pensioners having to choose between heat or eat & the posh boys in westminster are arguing over cheese:mad:!!.don't get me wrong i'm all for provenance,d.o.c,appellation controlee etc etc,but there is a time & a place for everything.come the revolution.........

bloody ridiculous addie(pardon my language)nearly 3million unemployed,utility prices going bonkers,working brits using food banks,pensioners having to choose between heat or eat & the posh boys in westminster are arguing over cheese:mad:!!.don't get me wrong i'm all for provenance,d.o.c,appellation controlee etc etc,but there is a time & a place for everything.come the revolution.........

I can understand your frustrations Harry. We have a congress here that can't get their act together either. BTW, only in the UK is the word "bloody" considered not a nice word. I doubt many Americans know from whence the word originated to mean something not nice. I learned about it years ago and find it humorous as to how it evolved into bloody. :angel:

If you're making the mashed, don't you already know they aren't from a box?:chef:

Perhaps I could have stated that better. :rolleyes:

After years of being served the dehydrated potatoes once I had the real thing it was a revelation and texture was a big reason.

I like mashed taters in all forms but I myself like a bit of texture over smooth. I even like them when the taters weren't skinned. ;)

Taters are a "Wonder Food" in my book.

To the OP.

Don't worry about the additions of spices, cheeses, and such just yet.

Get your method of preparation down to where you like the basic mashed tater and go from there.

The sky has no limit from a good starting point. :)

I can't seem to get the Multi Quote function to work for me. :(

"Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60"

I have to have three halfs of Stilton, one for the meal, one for me and one for the spoiled rotten cat!:ROFLMAO:

Have you spoiled the cat or have they spoiled you? :mrgreen:

And be glad that the cat allows you to live in it's house. :whistling

Forgot to add.

No need to say your sorry for your rant Harry. ;)

As someone from the other side of the pond it's nice to know that the powers that be on your side can't exercise common sense either. :rolleyes:

"come the revolution........." we'll be there with you for a good old :bash:

:whistling

I steam my potatoes in a plastic bag in the microwave for 7 minutes at full power, then I squeeze them through a potato ricer. The potato comes out the bottom and the skin gets left inside the ricer. Add milk, butter and a bit of salt and your good to go.

I don't cook anything in plastic. I just don't trust it won't leach into the food.

I can understand your frustrations Harry. We have a congress here that can't get their act together either. BTW, only in the UK is the word "bloody" considered not a nice word. I doubt many Americans know from whence the word originated to mean something not nice. I learned about it years ago and find it humorous as to how it evolved into bloody. :angel:
well addie they've all got one thing in common imo,they are career crazy/power hungry politicians with their eye on re-election instead of having it firmly on sorting out the mess we are all in.we do have some good eggs in parliament but they are kept firmly on the back benches...wonder why eh:rolleyes:?
bloody? i think it's lost some of it's punch ever since ron weasly started letting rip with "bloody hell harry" in the potter films...luvvit!!
few theories where it originated from...everything from the war of the roses,through blasphemous invoking of the virgin mary's name to bloody drunk meaning someone had so much alcohol in their bloodstream that they would fight anyone.what's your fav addie?

Forgot to add.

No need to say your sorry for your rant Harry. ;)
As someone from the other side of the pond it's nice to know that the powers that be on your side can't exercise common sense either. :rolleyes:
"come the revolution........." we'll be there with you for a good old :bash:
:whistling
more the merrier Z....help make up for kicking us out last time you lot fancied a change too:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:!!

wow this is a good response, Thanks.
I forgot to mention its an electric cooker.

I've got enough knowledge to make mash woohoo, i thought it would be gental boil but i had to check and im glad i did now because i've learned more than i set out to learn, like the ricer i have never herd of this and the Stilton i think i would like that.

Anyway sorry to ask such a noob question but im all tooled up now for making best mash in southern England :) Thanks guys

I've got enough knowledge to make mash woohoo, i thought it would be gental boil but i had to check and im glad i did now because i've learned more than i set out to learn, like the ricer i have never herd of this and the Stilton i think i would like that.

Anyway sorry to ask such a noob question but im all tooled up now for making best mash in southern England :) Thanks guys

Do let us know how they turn out. Inquiring minds want to know. :angel:

You're welcome! We do go on a bit...:LOL:

well addie they've all got one thing in common imo,they are career crazy/power hungry politicians with their eye on re-election instead of having it firmly on sorting out the mess we are all in.we do have some good eggs in parliament but they are kept firmly on the back benches...wonder why eh:rolleyes:?

Absolutely ditto that Harry!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom