"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do I boil potatoes?

Hi to everyone here, this is my first post and as you can tell im new to kooking so i need some very simple basics to get me a good start so i dont pick up any bad habits from the start.

How do i boil red desiree potatoes?

my cooker goes from one to six 0 = off
if i put them on 6 they bubble and throth up and over flowing the saucepan, and on 2 they seem to simmer, and on 3 they boil very gentle, and on 4 they start to over flow the pan again, so how do you guys do it?

the potato will be used for mash when they are soft.

TIA

Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I was told many years ago that root vegetables are best simmered so they cook evenly throughout. Now I'm not a professional chef, but that's what works for me.
I always rinse the potatoes after they have been cut to wash off some of the starch, which is what causes the froth. At least that is what my Oma told me.

And, welcome to DC.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Well, you want the setting to give you boiling without boiling over.

For mashed, it's better to cut the potatoes into uniform chunks for faster more uniform cooking. Put the cut up potatoes into well salted tap water the put the pot on the hob. Bring the water to a boil then adjust to keep the pot from boiling over.

If boil over remains an issue, use a larger pot.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I also rinse the red potatoes, cut out any bad spots, put them in a pot and cover them with water and simmer until tender. My stove has no numbers, adjustments are all made by looking at the flame and guessing how much it takes to getting them gently simmering. If it's just a few red potatoes, 5 or 6, into a bowl and into the microwave. I can't remember red potatoes frothing up, boiling over, yes, but not frothing. I boiled 10 pounds of reds Sunday night and had good luck with a simmer.
Don't worry, you'll get it, just keep at it. I'm still learning myself and hope to keep learning.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Head Chef

Years ago, one of our well known TV cooks (Delia Smith) had a series literally called "How to Boil an Egg". She covered all the absolute basics (including how to boil an egg obviously). Because she realised that the art of home cooking was dying out and not being passed on through the generations. It was a very popular series and very useful for a lot of people.

Nothing is simple if you have never done it before. So welcome and good luck Countrywalks - I hope your mashed potato is a success! (I use Desirees all the time - they are one of my favourite varieties.)
Old 10-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I steam my potatoes in a plastic bag in the microwave for 7 minutes at full power, then I squeeze them through a potato ricer. The potato comes out the bottom and the skin gets left inside the ricer. Add milk, butter and a bit of salt and your good to go.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I steam my potatoes in a plastic bag in the microwave for 7 minutes at full power, then I squeeze them through a potato ricer. The potato comes out the bottom and the skin gets left inside the ricer. Add milk, butter and a bit of salt and your good to go.
Hm, never thought of that! I always use a potato ricer for my mash (takes all the hard work out of it!)
Old 10-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Hm, never thought of that! I always use a potato ricer for my mash (takes all the hard work out of it!)
Takes all the lumps out of it too!

I always use my ricer.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Takes all the lumps out of it too!

I always use my ricer.
Yep it sure does! Marvellous little gadget!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

do you leave the lid on the pan?if you do this can raise the temperature in the pan & cause it to boil over.i peel me spuds,cut them in same size chunks so that they cook at the time,as rocketj said,rinse in a few changes of water to remove starch,put in pan of cold water,add salt,bring to boil with lid on to speed up boiling then move lid slightly to one side to allow steam to escape & turn heat down to simmer.i use a ricer too,they are ace!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FISH PIE 003.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	19129   Click image for larger version

Name:	FISH PIE 004.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	19130  

Tags
oil, potato, potatoes