How do I know which wine to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookLikeJulia

Senior Cook
Hi! I am trying out a pot roast recipe that calls for wine but wasn't specified what type. How would I know which type of wine to use for cooking?

Appreciate all your responses.

Typically, you use a dry (not sweet) wine for savory dishes. Sweet wines are sometimes used for desserts.

I made a pot roast earlier this week and used a dry red wine. NEVER!!!! use a cooking wine. It is loaded with salt and other stuff and tastes awful. It will make your recipe taste awful as well.

If you're not a wine drinker, try to pick up a bottle of dry white vermouth. That will last forever and is a good all purpose wine for cooking. If you want a red, try to find a four pack of little bottles (like the ones they sell on airlines). Ask at your local wine store. I would avoid Cabernet Sauvignon as it is very tannic and that's not a great flavor in most dishes.

A Pinot Noir or Cotes du Rhone will work as will some red blends.

A lot of people will tell you to only cook with a wine you will drink. That's a good rule of thumb but it does not mean that if you are drinking a $100 bottle of wine, you have to cook with it as well. Inexpensive wines work quite well in recipes.

Another vote for Burgundy in meat dishes, although I sometimes use Merlot. It doesn't need to be expensive..under $10
I always have Chardonnay (white wine) for cooking with fish or chicken. Again, it doesn't need to be expensive.
As Andy said, if you don't drink wine, those six packs of above mentioned wine is a great idea to keep on hand. I've seen them in every major grocery store in the wine department.

I agree that for a pot roast I'd go with a nice dry red burgundy. And it doesn't have to be expensive. I always have two California "jug" wines on hand at all times for cooking - Gallo "Chablis Blanc" & Gallo "Burgundy". Both run $12 or under for a gallon jug. The burgundy would be perfect for your pot roast & even after opening lasts quite a good while without quality sacrifice in a cool dark pantry.

Neither are "artsy", but both are drinkable & definitely cookable!! : )

...and let's not forget the box wines.

There are some pretty good box wines available now. Because of the plastic liner in the box, the wine is not exposed to oxygen and will last for a very long time. You can park it on a shelf or in the fridge and use it as needed.

I agree Andy... I use Pinot Grigio in alot of my chicken and fish dishes, and having those little boxes on hand are great..

Now I never have to share my bottle with my pot again!!! :LOL:

Thanks for all your replies!! You're all a savior! Or else I will just mess everything up without knowing which wine to use!!

So is red wine always good for meat? How about for seafoods?

Whites are better for lighter dishes, including fish and chicken. You can also use white wine with red meats. I'd limit red wines to red meats and heavier dishes.

Those are sort of loaded questions. Used to be the basic "rule" was reds with meat; whites with seafood, but in reality you have to take a look at the bigger picture + what you yourself enjoy drinking.

For instance, there are many strong whites like white burgundy or oaky chardonnay that nicely complement something like a pork tenderloin or chops, just as there are some wonderful Italian reds that go perfectly with, say, spaghetti with red clam sauce or a spicy seafood fra diavolo or cioppino. For me it's always the strenth of flavors in the whole dish that decide which wine will go best.

I tend to cook with the two wines I drink most often, which I end up having leftovers of in the 'fridge. Usually these are Chianti and Pinot Grigio.

I buy cases of an Italian Chianti Classico I like for around $12/bottle, and my standard table Pinot Grigio is a cheap $7/bottle mass-market selection (Yellowtail). Oddly I don't like any of Yellowtail's other wines, but their Pinot Grigio is a good cheap wine.

Some specific dishes I will get a specific wine for however, such as Merlot with berries, or Chardonnay for butter sauces.

I, too, would go with a hearty red wine, something you are putting on the table with the dish (or maybe a less expensive version of it, but NOT "cooking" wine). For guaranteed results cooking I like fortified wines. With beef I'd consider dry sherry, marsala, even sweet vermouth ... assuming you like things with a little sweetness. I have no sweet teeth at all, but still recommend fortified wines for beginners (wish someone had told me THAT a couple of decades ago). They are very stable and don't have to deal with the acidic problems you have with some wines.

Fortified wines don't have to be sweet. I use dry marsala and dry white vermouth, both fortified wines, in savory dishes regularly. I use a dry sherry in Chinese dishes. I don't care for sweet wines in my dishes, but that's just me.

I also stay away from oaky and high tannin wines as those flavors are not really food friendly. So I stay away from cabernet sauvignon and oaky whites.

Ruby and Tawny Ports are also good for cooking with most meats. They add a different flavor because of their nuttiness. Ruby Port is lighter and fruitier. Fortified wines have the advantage of keeping longer than still wines, if you are not a wine drinker.

One of our favorite dishes is a hazelnut-crusted veal chop with a Tawny Port/Creme Fraiche Sauce. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom