"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How do I know which wine to use?

Hi! I am trying out a pot roast recipe that calls for wine but wasn't specified what type. How would I know which type of wine to use for cooking?

Appreciate all your responses.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Typically, you use a dry (not sweet) wine for savory dishes. Sweet wines are sometimes used for desserts.

I made a pot roast earlier this week and used a dry red wine. NEVER!!!! use a cooking wine. It is loaded with salt and other stuff and tastes awful. It will make your recipe taste awful as well.

If you're not a wine drinker, try to pick up a bottle of dry white vermouth. That will last forever and is a good all purpose wine for cooking. If you want a red, try to find a four pack of little bottles (like the ones they sell on airlines). Ask at your local wine store. I would avoid Cabernet Sauvignon as it is very tannic and that's not a great flavor in most dishes.

A Pinot Noir or Cotes du Rhone will work as will some red blends.

A lot of people will tell you to only cook with a wine you will drink. That's a good rule of thumb but it does not mean that if you are drinking a $100 bottle of wine, you have to cook with it as well. Inexpensive wines work quite well in recipes.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Head Chef

I almost always use a hearty burgandy when making beef stew..
Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

Another vote for Burgundy in meat dishes, although I sometimes use Merlot. It doesn't need to be expensive..under $10
I always have Chardonnay (white wine) for cooking with fish or chicken. Again, it doesn't need to be expensive.
As Andy said, if you don't drink wine, those six packs of above mentioned wine is a great idea to keep on hand. I've seen them in every major grocery store in the wine department.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

I agree that for a pot roast I'd go with a nice dry red burgundy. And it doesn't have to be expensive. I always have two California "jug" wines on hand at all times for cooking - Gallo "Chablis Blanc" & Gallo "Burgundy". Both run $12 or under for a gallon jug. The burgundy would be perfect for your pot roast & even after opening lasts quite a good while without quality sacrifice in a cool dark pantry.

Neither are "artsy", but both are drinkable & definitely cookable!! : )
Old 04-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

...and let's not forget the box wines.

There are some pretty good box wines available now. Because of the plastic liner in the box, the wine is not exposed to oxygen and will last for a very long time. You can park it on a shelf or in the fridge and use it as needed.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Head Chef

I agree Andy... I use Pinot Grigio in alot of my chicken and fish dishes, and having those little boxes on hand are great..

Now I never have to share my bottle with my pot again!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
...Now I never have to share my bottle with my pot again!!!
It's not a good idea to 'smoke' and drink at the same time.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's not a good idea to 'smoke' and drink at the same time.
Are you sure cause nobody ever told me that!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Thanks for all your replies!! You're all a savior! Or else I will just mess everything up without knowing which wine to use!!

So is red wine always good for meat? How about for seafoods?