"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Sous Chef

How do I make flour tortillas floppy?

Mine always turn out crispy, so I cant use them for things like making burritos, wraps etc.

Mel

Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

Posting your recipe and method of preparation will help people help you.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
Mine always turn out crispy, so I cant use them for things like making burritos, wraps etc.

Mel
Mel, I assume you buy your tortillas from the store..If they are either flour or corn just warm them slightly, put in your filling and continue on..That's what I do.I've wrapped in foil and put in the over works fine.I've warmed on top of the stove one at a time.
Hope this helps a little.
kades
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I steam my store bought tortillas before using. The way I do this is a take a paper towel and dampen it. I put the tortillas on a plate and place the damp paper towel over then. nuke for 15-20 seconds and they will be soft and pliable.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Well, I'm assuming you make them from scratch (so very easy to do). I would guess that you are rolling them out too thinly.

You could be cooking them too long/too high heat.

Or you are using oil to cook them. They have oil in the dough and should be cooked in/on a dry pan/press.

If you are using baking soda in the recipe, I'd eliminate it.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Mr. Greenjeans

I figured you were making from scratch. Velochic is right on with all suggestions.

You could try GB's trick to loosen them up if they are too crisp with your current method, but I think you need to refine your scratch prep a bit like Velo said.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I make them myself.

Here is my receipe.
White flour.
Water or milk.
Oil.
Salt.

I make balls from the dough, and roll it out to discs and then cook in a pan with either nothing in it or a sprinkling of flour.

Likely, some of the suggestions above are what are causing them to turn out crispy. I think, I do make them too thin, because I try to roll them as thin as possible. I will make them thicker in future, and see what happens. And the cooking them on too high heat is another likely cause. I turn the heat up full. I will try lower heat in future. Thanks for these cool suggestions.

Any changes I should make to my ingredients? When I was in C and S America, they seemed to make things in the simplest way possible, so I just put together a simple receipe to try to copy the tortillas I had there.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
I make balls from the dough, and roll it out to discs and then cook in a pan with either nothing in it or a sprinkling of flour.
I am not a pro tortilla maker by any stretch, but I would say don't cook them in flour. What type of pan are you cooking them in?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Sous Chef

The sprinkling with flour is fine. Your recipe looks good (I use water). I'd say it's the high heat and thickness. Homemade tortillas are not quite as thin as commercially made tortillas (we can't achieve the incredibly even heat they do in factories). The pan should be hot enough to puff the tortilla only a tiny bit. If it really puffs up, it's too hot (at least that is what I have found to be true). Good luck!!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I use shortening not oil and they come out floppy. When I

first started making them they turned out crispy also, then I cut the amount of shortening the recipe called for in half and they come out perfectly every time. I cook them over fairly high heat, med high on my electric stove then put them in a covered container so they can keep warm and 'steam' until I have cooked all of them.