How do I prevent burning syrup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robageejammin

Assistant Cook
Hey there! Complete cooking newbie here as you can probably tell from the title. I like cooking with maple syrup for lots of things. For example, when I make eggs, I'll mix the egg and any other ingredients (including some maple syrup) into a bowl, and then fry it up into a non-stick pan which I coated with butter/Pam. It comes out tasting great, but I end up setting off the fire alarm half the time. Any tips on preventing syrup from burning? Should I be cooking it slower? Anything I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance! :)

Hey there! Complete cooking newbie here as you can probably tell from the title. I like cooking with maple syrup for lots of things. For example, when I make eggs, I'll mix the egg and any other ingredients (including some maple syrup) into a bowl, and then fry it up into a non-stick pan which I coated with butter/Pam. It comes out tasting great, but I end up setting off the fire alarm half the time. Any tips on preventing syrup from burning? Should I be cooking it slower? Anything I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance! :)

If you are setting of the smoke alarm, then try lowering the heat. It may take a bit longer to cook the food, but maple syrup can be served without heating it up. It has already been 'cooked' in process of going from tree sap to maple syrup. Serve it separate over your eggs. Store at room temperature. If you must have it warm, then sit the bottle in hot water while your eggs are cooking.

And welcome to DC. I hope you stick around. This is a place of a lot of conversation and laughter. Along with a plethora of information regarding cooking and recipes. :angel:

Hi, and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

Maple syrup is very high in sugar, which is why it burns so easily with direct heat. I would suggest drizzling it over some of the foods you use it with, rather than cooking it, especially when you're using a fat like butter. Hope this helps.

Contrary to some of the other opinions, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to cook eggs that have some syrup mixed in without burning. Eggs do not require high heat - in fact I would never use high heat for them.

I cook scrambled eggs on med to med low heat, about the same heat as I would use for a French omelette, which should be cooked without browning. Personally, I wouldn't want maple syrup mixed into my eggs, but I don't see any downside if the heat is kept low.

Low heat. Also how much maple syrup are you using per egg?
Oh and stir constantly.

Personally I would pour the syrup over the eggs after they are done.

I love French toast with butter and maple syrup, topped with an over easy fried egg. Sometimes a tad more syrup over the egg. :yum:

I warm the syrup in the microwave in a Pyrex measuring glass while everything else is cooking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom