How do I store fresh coriander to make it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponchit

Assistant Cook
What is the best way to keep coriender and make it last long. We cant get coriander everyday around here and I find it turns yellow very fast. is there a way of keeping them or preserving them?

I assume you are talking about storing fresh coriander to use as a fresh herb, not drying or freezing.

You basically treat your bunch of coriander like a florist would a bunch of fresh cut flowers: cut the end off the stems, place the stems in a container of water, and store in the refrigerator. How to Store Fresh Herbs shows you all of the steps (with pictures). This should keep it fresh for a week or more.

Here are a few things you can try. They work well for me:

Wash the corrainder in clean cold water. I normally dunk mine in a large bowl filled with cold water. this will get rid of the grit and any nasty leaves.

Take the cleaned corrainder and lay it on a cloth towel (paper towels will work too but I prefer thick cloth towel). Once the water has dried and the corrainder only feels slightly damp you can wrap it in a paper towel and place it in a ziploc bag. It will last much longer and you would be ready to chop it without washing or fussing with it when you need it.

Another thing you can do is grind it with lime juice and you can leave this paste for weeks in your fridge (keep it in an airtight container else it's smell permeates through the fridge) or freeze (same process) it for later use. A few tsps of it to a dish and you will have your full fledge corrainder flavor.

I find my herbs last much longer washed and wrapped in paper towel and placed in a plastic bag than if you treat it like a bouquet of flowers. They are always ready when you need them this way too - already washed and ready to go.

ponchit said:
What is the best way to keep coriender and make it last long. We cant get coriander everyday around here and I find it turns yellow very fast. is there a way of keeping them or preserving them?

Have you conisdered getting some seeds and growing your own? Then you will always have it fresh, and you can harvest whatever amount you need at will.

Thank you all for the vey usefull replies. I will try both treating it like a boquet and wrapping in cloth or papar towel and placing it in a ziplok bag. Yes I do grow them in the garden. The need overtook the supply (I operate a tiny restaurant in a 20 room hotel here in downtown Davao city) where we have a short asian menu. Thank you again to all.

Let us know which way you think is better, ponchit.

I used to use the paper towel/bag/refrigerator method. All herbs lasted about a week, but parsley tended to get slimy and the others tended to brown or yellow, so I'd toss a lot.

Then I used the water/vase/refrigerator, method for parsley. If I didn't dump the thing over, the parsley lasted at least 2 weeks.

Now I use the water/vase thing on the window sill. Much better. Stuff lasts a week, I see it, change the water all the time, and use it more often. When I put basil stems in the water on the sill, it grows water roots and lasts until I use it all.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom