"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do I use shallots?

Hi all,
My recipe calls for 3 large shallots and I've never used them before. Do I want the whole shallot or does that mean 3 bulbs? Thanks for the help.Happy Gramma

Old 11-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

It depends on the size. If they are small then use the whole thing as one. If they are large then each bulb can count as one. Shallots are one of those things that you usually do not need to be super precise in measuring.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

What size is large for a shallot?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

shallot bulb?

what size is average for a shallot bulb?
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

Lynnhilton - just use & consider each "clove" as one "shallot", regardless of size.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Master Chef

A shallot is covered in a brown papery skin - everything inside that skin makes up 1 shallot. I don't understand what you mean by "bulbs" .... here is a picture of 1 shallot:

The largest shallots I have run across are about the size of a golf ball, or a little smaller - most are smaller than that.

When substituting onion for shallots - 1 small yellow onion (a little smaller than a tennis ball) + a clove of crushed garlic is equal to 3 shallots.

Since the recipe isn't specific about an amount - go with what looks right to you.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnhilton View Post
Hi all,
My recipe calls for 3 large shallots and I've never used them before. Do I want the whole shallot or does that mean 3 bulbs? Thanks for the help.Happy Gramma
Depends on where your recipe comes from Lynn
For us and throughout Asia Shallots, once called Eschallots, come in bunches, green like so or sometimes dried and come in clumps of bulbs like so sometimes we see them like so but these are not to be confused with Spring Onions as we have the choice of both. My favourite way of using green Shallots is in mashed potato or egg dishes such as an omelet as they are much milder than Spring Onions.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I found some really large shallots the other day and the checker rang them up as yellow onions........I didn't notice it until I got home. There was a bit of difference in the price between onions and shallots!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
Senior Cook

french shallots are good, but if you can get to an Asian market, buy some Thai red shallots - they are much smaller but they are very good.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
A shallot is covered in a brown papery skin - everything inside that skin makes up 1 shallot. I don't understand what you mean by "bulbs"
The shallots we get here look pretty much the same, but often are 2 "cloves" instead of one whole piece like an onion would be. I agree, however, that shallot measurement needn't be exact; in most dishes they disappear, just leaving a mild and pleasant flavor enhancement. I always figured that a recipe that called for one shallot meant the whole thing, regardless of the cloves.