"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I have heard of two other factors that come into play. The first is how cold the mix is before you start freezing it, and that the closer to freezing it is the more consistent the freezing process is. Which leads to the second factor, which is how quickly it freezes. I think that the longer it takes to freeze, the larger the crystals can get.
The best way I ever saw to freeze ice cream was using dry ice. After the mix is fully chilled, just dump crushed or chipped dry ice, and keep stirring by hand until the ice cream is ready. I saw this on TV and it took about 5 minutes for about a half a gallon.
But I have yet to try this, so I don't know if this really works.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

chilly lurker surfing, as summer is rapidly approaching.

afaik, i scream is all about fat content in the dairy, consistent churning, and very cold temps.

the more of each will provide the best, hardest, but creamiest (as it melts in your mouth) results.

someone, tell me i'm wrong, or more about it

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Senior Cook

BT - you are exact. the company I work for makes IC. The higher the fat content (more cream less milk) the less water you have. You only get ice from water. Ala - ice milk. The second thing for creaminess is air. We add air during the freezing process. If take a carton of IC and let it melt - notice how little you now have. If you could figure out how to pump air into a home style churn you could make millions. You are correct also on the temps. The faster you can freeze the smaller the ice crystals.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Jumping on an old thread but a recurring topic. I saw an episode of ATK where they made vanilla IC. Lots of cream and eggs. Also some of the sugar is corn syrup. There is a multi-step process for heating, cooling, churning and chilling to ensure creamy/no ice crystal results.

I haven't tried it yet but I will some day soon.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Everymom

Ice cream doesn't last long enough to get ice crystals in our house.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
Sous Chef

How do you avoid ice cream crystallization?
Eat it before it crystallizes.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Crystallization is not a function of how old the ice cream gets. It has to do with how fast it's frozen. The faster it freezes the smaller the crystals. Slower freezing creates larger crystals.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Crystallization is not a function of how old the ice cream gets. It has to do with how fast it's frozen. The faster it freezes the smaller the crystals. Slower freezing creates larger crystals.
oldvine and alix were just bein funny, but yeah, tje question was about preventing crystallization in the making of i scream.

fat content, temp, and churning action create the desired lesser and smaller ice crystals, to summize.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote