"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do you avoid ice cream crystallization?

Hi

What ingredient should be used in order to avoid ice cream crystallization?

thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Cook

The ice cream making process is going to give you ice crystals, but the trick is to end up with the tiniest crystals possible, and that comes from stirring your mix until it is almost solid while still in the mixer.

The mistake that most people make when making ice cream (including members of my own family) is stopping too soon. When you would think it's done, you most likely still have another 10 minutes or so of mixing left to do. This is what keeps the larger ice crystals from forming.

Make your electric mixer motor "groan" as the ice cream thickens. If it's a good quality mixer, it's designed to meet a lot of resistance without hurting the motor.

Have fun!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi Arky

thanks for your advice. the problem i find is that the ice cream never arrives to a really Solid point when it's churning. Then i would check the ice cream churner, and i would notice that its ice would already started to melt. would that be a prob with my machine? or is it that home made ice cream can never be in such a solid state (at the time of churning)? in fact, next time ill try to put the machine in iced water as well so to keep it cooler.

also, what would be the duration you recommend until mixing should be stopped? one of my recipes says 40 mins, but isn't that too much?

thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Cook

40-45 minutes is about right.

Not having enough fat (cream or egg) could prevent thickening (freezing).

I would not recommend putting the machine in water, even cold water, unless your machine is designed for that. Water and electricity don't mix! If you have the room, put it in your refrigerator while it's mixing.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I'm pretty sure I've read that the amount of sugar plays a part in crystallization as well.

Check your ice cream maker's instructions. You may need to replenish the ice at some point to achieve more solid ice cream.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
I'm pretty sure I've read that the amount of sugar plays a part in crystallization as well.

Check your ice cream maker's instructions. You may need to replenish the ice at some point to achieve more solid ice cream.
Every time I make ice cream with my electric churn, it needs a refill on ice about halfway in to get a good solid product.

Which reminds me - need to send the kiddo out to pick blackberries tomorrow and have some fresh blackberry ice cream!

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
...Which reminds me - need to send the kiddo out to pick blackberries tomorrow and have some fresh blackberry ice cream!
Oooo.... Are you taking orders?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Senior Cook

BTW, Cutyangel, I wasn't talking about ice cream churns, but counter-top ice cream makers, like mine is about half the size of a coffee maker and uses a pre-frozen 1 qt. canister. No Ice, No salt, No mess.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

i dont' think i have the possibility of adding ice to my ice cream machine, since it has water within itself....and it's not something that can be opened!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Cuteyangel, what ice are you referring to in your previous post then? It sounded like you have one of the old-style ice cream churns to which you add salt and ice.