How do you avoid stinking up your house while frying fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the kind of fish is everything too RF. Salmon stinks to me, and tastes "fishy" however it's cooked. Other fish shouldn't smell "fishy" before it's cooked or when cooking it.

As far as taste is concerned I much prefer farm raised salmon over "wild caught" salmon. Tastes a lot less fishy.

This must be a matter of perception. I've always found salmon to be one of the least offensive to the olfactory. Unless it's more than a few days old, I really don't smell it much.

Now cod or catfish, on the other hand.... pass the clothespin! :shock:

This must be a matter of perception. I've always found salmon to be one of the least offensive to the olfactory. Unless it's more than a few days old, I really don't smell it much.

Now cod or catfish, on the other hand.... pass the clothespin! :shock:

I don't like grilled or fried salmon at all. However I could make a :pig: of myself with lox, and smoked salmon.:yum:
I really like cod..it makes great fish and chips, but I think catfish tastes and smells like dirt.

Last edited:
The worst is boiling salted cod my dad used to like. I gag at that smell.

salted_cod.jpg

I have tried having a large bowl of white vinegar out when making "stinky" things. I prefer to cook those things outside, however.

I've never associated leftovers with one's financial situation. Growing up, leftovers were planned (my mom hated to cook, so if she could cook once and serve the same thing again, she took that route). It made her life easier. I tend to do the same thing--make enough for several meals. I figure if I'm going to heat up the oven, I might as well make two roasted chickens/pork roasts/whatever. It doesn't use any more electricity to cook two than it does to cook one. But then, our electricity rates are the highest in North America. We try to cut back on the electricity bill whenever we can.
Back in the day before our heaths' went south on us, my husband and I ate pretty well and he hardly ever ate leftovers. Now in hard times, (not too hard) he does eat leftovers and there is hardly anything left to throw away. We ate steak a couple of times a week back then and ate take out a couple of times a week, but now steak is seen about once a month if it is on sale and we never eat take out anymore. Hopefully good times will come back again, but we are on a fixed income now and I just don't see it. Life goes on no matter what and we are happy with what we have.

I don't like grilled or fried salmon at all. However I could make a :pig: of myself with lox, and smoked salmon.:yum:
I really like cod..it makes great fish and chips, but I think catfish tastes and smells like dirt.

I put my salmon under the broiler with butter pam sprayed on it and crushed rosemary sprinkled on it with a little salt and lemon juice. It is great. Does not take a whole lot of time and it is good.

I drizzle salmon steaks with olive oil, sprinkle on salt and pepper and smother it with 1/4" onion slice strips coated with oil to keep them moist while baking. I bake it on my Norpro broiler pan at 425F for 15 min. I fry thinly sliced zucchini and a salad topped with blue cheese dressing.

I bought fresh dill weed and and other herbs commonly used in cooking fish and froze it up in ziplocks.
I'm still trying to get better at cooking fish.

Last edited:
I put my salmon under the broiler with butter pam sprayed on it and crushed rosemary sprinkled on it with a little salt and lemon juice. It is great. Does not take a whole lot of time and it is good.

It's also good with dill weed.

I drizzle salmon steaks with olive oil, sprinkle on salt and pepper and smother it with 1/4" onion slice strips coated with oil to keep them moist while baking. I bake it on my Norpro broiler pan at 425F for 15 min. I fry thinly sliced zucchini and a salad topped with blue cheese dressing.

I bought fresh dill weed and and other herbs commonly used in cooking fish and froze it up in ziplocks.
I'm still trying to get better at cooking fish.

I've never been one to say my mind can't be changed! I may just give salmon a try again with these hints. :chef:

Wait.........my mind will never be changed about Brussel Sprouts. I stand firm with those little devils.

Last edited:
Brussel Sprouts? Butter and tons of salt and pepper and they get to tasting...good. It's funny, dishes like those seem more a part of a by-gone era.

Last edited:
I've never been one to say my mind can't be changed! I may just give salmon a try again with these hints. :chef:

Remember those "bricks" of frozen cod they used to sell? It was frozen cod that came in wrappred black cardboard. Anyways they had a simple recipe on the back "brick" frozen cod that I'm trying to replicate.

It included the following.
Thawed cod, sliced green onions, blue cheese dressing and bread crumbs.

For how few ingredients it has, it was delicious cod...for cardboard wrapped thawed cod, lol. I can't remember the recipe order tho.

It may have called for broiling at the end to crisp the bread crumbs, or maybe I just baked it.

Last edited:
Good grief, salted cod in the wooden box was because you couldn't get fresh cod. Patooie...that's what those nasty (delicious?) cod fish balls were made of. :sick:

Yes I remember all too well

Last edited:
Not even bacon can save Brussel Sprouts and bacon can fix almost anything.

I agree. Nothing can fix the EVIL GREEN BALLS FROM HADES. Or salmon. Unless it's smoked. That works.

Last edited:
My fishmonger, no wait, the fishmonger from whom I buy fish, that sounds better, told me that most of the fish you see in the supermarket has been frozen and thawed at least 4 times. This will result in a "fishy" smell/taste. I love salmon, but only if it has been frozen on the boat and not thawed/frozen/thawed/frozen and definitely will not buy salmon (or any other fish/seafood) from China--which is from where most of the fish I see in the supermarket comes. Not going there. I prefer wild Pacific salmon over Atlantic wild or farmed. I can't stand anything that has even the slightest odor of fishy. That gets fed to the dogs and the Girls and I don't buy that again.

Last edited:
I have the anti-fishy gene too, CWS. Maybe all that fresh LOTW walleye corrupted us. DH loves salmon of any kind.

What I do with salmon, is bake it. I use garlic powder, salt, lemon pepper and dill, then rub it with olive oil. Then put about a half inch of lemon juice in the bottom of the dish, put the salmon in it, stick it in the oven at 350 for approx. 20 minutes. Covering it with foil is an option, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It is more flavorful, but less colorful with the foil.

Wait.........my mind will never be changed about Brussel Sprouts. I stand firm with those little devils.

Awwww, brussel sprouts need love too you know!:LOL:

Brussel Sprouts? Butter and tons of salt and pepper and they get to tasting...good. It's funny, dishes like those seem more a part of a by-gone era.

AMEN! I guess my age is showing here. "By-gone era" indeed!":LOL:

Not even bacon can save Brussel Sprouts and bacon can fix almost anything.

I don't think bacon would be a good idea with brussel sprouts. However, it is wonderful in spinach.

OK, to get back to the OP's topic, we have a real problem with cooking odors. Our range hood "vents" into the kitchen. It is an old hood, and one of our tenants, back when we rented the house out, managed to "loose" the charcoal filter. Haven't been able to find a filter to replace it.

Haven't worried about it too much though, as homes used to be built without any type of vent over the stove. I crack the kitchen window, and turn on the vent fan for a nearby bathroom. It does help. Some.

I used to smoke cigars. (50+ years worth,) but due to heart condition, quit smoking back in May. It seems like my sense of smell has come back, with a vengeance! Truly a mixed blessing.

Good grief, salted cod in the wooden box was because you couldn't get fresh cod. Patooie...that's what those nasty (delicious?) cod fish balls were made of. :sick:

Yes I remember all too well

OMG that's the salted cod my old man used to buy and boil, it came in a little wooden box. gag gag gag gag

Last edited:
A very efficient hooded vent....

You take a canister wet/dry vac., the kind you use in the workshop, place the end of the hose attached to the air intake above the pan that has the cooking fish in it. You take the hose connected to the exhaust and shove it our a window. Turn on the unit. I recommend you wear earplugs.:LOL:

Other that that, or cooking the fish outside on the grill, can't think of any other way to control the fish aroma that fills the house. To me, that's a good smell anyway. To DW however...:ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom