"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've never been one to say my mind can't be changed! I may just give salmon a try again with these hints.

Remember those "bricks" of frozen cod they used to sell? It was frozen cod that came in wrappred black cardboard. Anyways they had a simple recipe on the back "brick" frozen cod that I'm trying to replicate.

It included the following.
Thawed cod, sliced green onions, blue cheese dressing and bread crumbs.

For how few ingredients it has, it was delicious cod...for cardboard wrapped thawed cod, lol. I can't remember the recipe order tho.

It may have called for broiling at the end to crisp the bread crumbs, or maybe I just baked it.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #32
Master Chef

Good grief, salted cod in the wooden box was because you couldn't get fresh cod. Patooie...that's what those nasty (delicious?) cod fish balls were made of.

Yes I remember all too well

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

How do you avoid stinking up your house while frying fish?

Quote:
Not even bacon can save Brussel Sprouts and bacon can fix almost anything.

I agree. Nothing can fix the EVIL GREEN BALLS FROM HADES. Or salmon. Unless it's smoked. That works.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

My fishmonger, no wait, the fishmonger from whom I buy fish, that sounds better, told me that most of the fish you see in the supermarket has been frozen and thawed at least 4 times. This will result in a "fishy" smell/taste. I love salmon, but only if it has been frozen on the boat and not thawed/frozen/thawed/frozen and definitely will not buy salmon (or any other fish/seafood) from China--which is from where most of the fish I see in the supermarket comes. Not going there. I prefer wild Pacific salmon over Atlantic wild or farmed. I can't stand anything that has even the slightest odor of fishy. That gets fed to the dogs and the Girls and I don't buy that again.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have the anti-fishy gene too, CWS. Maybe all that fresh LOTW walleye corrupted us. DH loves salmon of any kind.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

What I do with salmon, is bake it. I use garlic powder, salt, lemon pepper and dill, then rub it with olive oil. Then put about a half inch of lemon juice in the bottom of the dish, put the salmon in it, stick it in the oven at 350 for approx. 20 minutes. Covering it with foil is an option, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It is more flavorful, but less colorful with the foil.

Quote:
I've never been one to say my mind can't be changed! I may just give salmon a try again with these hints.

Wait.........my mind will never be changed about Brussel Sprouts. I stand firm with those little devils.
Awwww, brussel sprouts need love too you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Brussel Sprouts? Butter and tons of salt and pepper and they get to tasting...good. It's funny, dishes like those seem more a part of a by-gone era.
AMEN! I guess my age is showing here. "By-gone era" indeed!"

Quote:
Not even bacon can save Brussel Sprouts and bacon can fix almost anything.
I don't think bacon would be a good idea with brussel sprouts. However, it is wonderful in spinach.

OK, to get back to the OP's topic, we have a real problem with cooking odors. Our range hood "vents" into the kitchen. It is an old hood, and one of our tenants, back when we rented the house out, managed to "loose" the charcoal filter. Haven't been able to find a filter to replace it.

Haven't worried about it too much though, as homes used to be built without any type of vent over the stove. I crack the kitchen window, and turn on the vent fan for a nearby bathroom. It does help. Some.

I used to smoke cigars. (50+ years worth,) but due to heart condition, quit smoking back in May. It seems like my sense of smell has come back, with a vengeance! Truly a mixed blessing.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Good grief, salted cod in the wooden box was because you couldn't get fresh cod. Patooie...that's what those nasty (delicious?) cod fish balls were made of.

Yes I remember all too well
OMG that's the salted cod my old man used to buy and boil, it came in a little wooden box. gag gag gag gag
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
A very efficient hooded vent....
You take a canister wet/dry vac., the kind you use in the workshop, place the end of the hose attached to the air intake above the pan that has the cooking fish in it. You take the hose connected to the exhaust and shove it our a window. Turn on the unit. I recommend you wear earplugs.

Other that that, or cooking the fish outside on the grill, can't think of any other way to control the fish aroma that fills the house. To me, that's a good smell anyway. To DW however...

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Simple Cook View Post
I don't think bacon would be a good idea with brussel sprouts. However, it is wonderful in spinach.
Brussel sprouts and bacon or pancetta work very well together.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #40
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Simple Cook View Post
I don't think bacon would be a good idea with brussel sprouts.
It actually works wonderfully together. One of my favorite sides is brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon fat, and tossed with crumbled bacon and blue cheese.

Tags
fish