How do you avoid stinking up your house while frying fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the anti-fishy gene too, CWS. Maybe all that fresh LOTW walleye corrupted us. DH loves salmon of any kind.
You might be on to s/thing there, DL!:LOL: I have a real problem with trout--Crow Lake spoiled me--the lake trout we caught were fantastic, but if my mom froze any of it, I could not eat it 3 months later.

You might be on to s/thing there, DL!:LOL: I have a real problem with trout--Crow Lake spoiled me--the lake trout we caught were fantastic, but if my mom froze any of it, I could not eat it 3 months later.
You think frozen trout is bad? It almost turns my stomach to remember This one... Now I'm an old guy, and my dad has been gone for 32 years. But the year he retired, he didn't quite know what to do with himself. So he went fishing. Actually he was a heck of a good fisherman, and lived in Colorado.
We were living in the Imperial Valley in California at the time. He and mom came out for a visit, and brought with them home canned trout. LOTS of jars of home canned trout. That had to be the grossest stuff I've ever tried to eat! I eat canned tuna or salmon without any problem, but that home canned trout was just plain nasty.
Seemed like it took forever to get rid of that stench in the house!

Last edited:
I really can't help you with the aromas generated while cooking fish except to say that I've never walked into a home and found any odor of what was being prepared as off putting.

I actually enjoy smelling a meal being prepared no matter if I like the dish or not. Just the smell of someone cooking is relaxing and enjoyable to me. The odor produced during the cooking process does not equate to the tastes and smells of the finished product.

I wanted to post here to defend the wonderful creation of God called Brussels sprouts. :yum:

Roasted Brussels sprouts with crumbled crispy bacon are heaven on Earth. And Steve's suggestion of Blue Cheese also adds more Heavenly
attributes.
You can even use Anchovies in the Brussels sprouts matrix of flavors with great results. ;)

I'm gonna bet those who don't like Brussels sprouts like "Raw" tomato on Sammies and in salads? :yuk:

To each his/her own. :LOL:

When I did home visits, I recall walking into the most rancid smelling houses imaginable. Fish, chicken, Hamburger Helper two weeks old, who knows? :sick:

Rancid and 2 week old. :yuk:

I can see that as off putting.

I'm thinking of the usual odors of folks fixing the foods they are going to eat that evening.

Anything that hang around too long can be nasty. Just think about relatives that overstay there welcome. ;)

For me, the odor of salted cod being boiled (bought in small wooden boxes) is the most off putting odor, whether it's the day of cooking, the day after, or whatever. Other odors from cooking fish don't really bother me. Salted cod being boiled is just so damn pungent.

Last edited:
This thread brings back a whole lot of memories of REALLY bad smells from going on my home visits. I have an easy gag reflex. And when you're trying to make nice with a family of a kid who's having school problems, it's not nice to puke on their carpet!

Two smells that are not just off-putting, but downright nauseating, in order of severity"

1: most evil smell - Worms that have been left in the trunk on a hot summer day, have died, and become rotter (my Dad did it once)

2. any meat, especially chicken or beef, that have been accidently missed when bringing in groceries, and left in the trunk on a hot summer for a few days.

3. Yeh, I know I said two, but there's another that bears mentioning here; I give you (drum roll please) popcorn socks during hunting camp. Yeh my dad was told to plant his shoes and socks outside the camp:LOL:.

There are smells that are probably as bad, or worse, but I haven't had to experience them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

How to avoid stinking up the house while frying fish:

Put gassy Uncle Frank, or Grandma Emma out in the garage:ROFLMAO:.

Disclaimer: I have neither an Uncle Frank or Grandma Emma, and I don't even know someone with that name that has that problem. So, this is not you. I just picked any name from the air.

May your hot things be hot, your cold things be cold, and your sharp cheddar at room temperature.

When I did home visits, I recall walking into the most rancid smelling houses imaginable. Fish, chicken, Hamburger Helper two weeks old, who knows? :sick:
I'm with you 100% on those rancid kitchen smells! I did home pest control for a few years, back in the dark ages. Some of the homes and even entire buildings would be just terrible!

This thread brings back a whole lot of memories of REALLY bad smells from going on my home visits. I have an easy gag reflex. And when you're trying to make nice with a family of a kid who's having school problems, it's not nice to puke on their carpet!
I also did many years as an EMT. Obviously there are "less than enjoyable" odors involved with that, but still nothing coming close to food fried in stale lard, then left to go bad.

How to avoid stinking up the house while frying fish:

Put gassy Uncle Frank, or Grandma Emma out in the garage:ROFLMAO:.

Disclaimer: I have neither an Uncle Frank or Grandma Emma, and I don't even know someone with that name that has that problem. So, this is not you. I just picked any name from the air.

May your hot things be hot, your cold things be cold, and your sharp cheddar at room temperature.

Your poor relatives!:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom