How do you cook pumpkin seeds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
Sunday is the big day - the day we carve our ginourmous pumpkins. Every year I try to bake the pumpkin seeds. Last year was the only one year they turned out great, but I didn't write down what I did :mad: . I seem to recall I baked them at 375-400 degrees but I am not sure. .Anyone have specific instructions?

I've enver roasted pumpkin seeds, but I sure have pine nuts, pecan, walnuts, almonds.... and I'd do pumpkun seeds the same way, I think.. Heat oven to 350 degrees F, and put seeds on a dry baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes. I think you'll smell when they're ready. :)

I ususally just coat them very very lightly with a little oil so the salt has something to stick to.....I ususally use EVOO. I then generously sprinkle kosher salt on them. I bake at 350 degrees for ?? I can't remember I know I usually just start keeping a close eye on them after 5 minutes. Quite honestly I think its the salt that I love the most........shhhh don't tell my doctor that :angel:

Since I love to carve intricate pumpkins, I also end up with lots of seeds & roast several batches of them.

First I place them in a colander & rinse them, removing as many big globs of stringy pulp as I can. I then drain them & blot them a bit with paper towels.

Then the fun begins!! I toss all of them with a half-&-half mixture of extra-virgin olive oil & melted butter, then divvy them up for different seasonings. One batch just gets salt; another gets salt + granulated garlic; another gets salt + chili powder.

Each batch is spread out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet & roasted at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or so - checking & stirring every 5 minutes. They always turn out great & disappear as fast as I can make them. Heck, even the cockatoo loves them - lol!!!

Bake it right in the oven around 375 ... 10 mintues..
I like just salt on it, but that's up to you.
You could do pepper and garlic salt. It's all good.

OK, we like the pumpkin flavour on them so I don't rinse the seeds, just scoop 'em out and drop them on a cookie sheet. Then I salt them and put them in the oven on low (250ish?) for an hour or so. Then when the kids are out trick or treating I get to eat them all! LOL.

I wash and towel dry mine then lay them on a cookie sheet all flat.
make up a strong soln of salt water in a spray/mist bottle then give them a quick spray over, put them in a medium hot oven but check them every 10 mins or so and re-spray them, you`ll see a white powder on your cookie sheet in places it`s only a little salt, keep doing this until you`re satisfied.
I find that the spray roast method works much better than salt crystals, and also works great with sunflower seeds too :)

Alix said:
OK, we like the pumpkin flavour on them so I don't rinse the seeds, just scoop 'em out and drop them on a cookie sheet. Then I salt them and put them in the oven on low (250ish?) for an hour or so. Then when the kids are out trick or treating I get to eat them all! LOL.

That's mean.

You should trade them for some candy.
:P

Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses! I will let you know how they turn out - I may try a batch low and long and then another batch high and shorter. We also bought a white pumpkin this year, I wonder if the seeds will taste the same!

Let me know if there is a difference.
My girlfriend's dad carves tons of pumpkins, so he'll probly have a white one that I might steal the seeds for.

Hey gobo, I figure since I don't get to go out trick or treating the seeds are MY treat! LOL. I DO share...but usually only after I'm stuffed. :cool:

goboenomo said:
You'd rather pumpkin seeds over candy!?

Eeep

I fear the damages of father time.
:P

Did I say that? I don't think I did. LOL. And watch it youngster!:LOL:

:ROFLMAO:

Maybe you should go trick-or-treating too.
Pay some kid on the street to go do a round for ya. :P

goboenomo said:
:ROFLMAO:

Maybe you should go trick-or-treating too.
Pay some kid on the street to go do a round for ya. :P

LOL!!! You really think any kid is going to give up loot? Not for any $. I have two kids that go out and they aren't willing to part with much. And anything they WILL part with I'd have to arm wrestle Ken for. I can be patient and wait til the candy goes on sale for 75% off after Halloween.

I'll do it for $40.... American. :P

I'll get in my buddies car, get some for you... then do a trip for us, and we'll fill his car with candy.

Hallowe'en sales rule! Aswell as Easter sales. I love those cadbury mini eggs.

I just got done with my THIRD batch of pumpkin seeds. I cooked them at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. I washed them best I could, dried them best I could, tossed them in some evoo and put them on a cookie sheet and sprinkled them generously with sea salt. I checked them every 10 minutes. The last batch I needed to hurry so I raised the heat to 425, I don't reccommend that, they were brown but still tasted the same. The seeds from the white pumpkin taste the same as the others. Hope everyone's seeds turn out as good as these did! Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Back
Top Bottom