How do you cook your stuffed cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always bake mine, in Sweden it is called Kåldommar and doesnt have tomato in them

This is one of my favourite winter dishes. I use ground pork, rice, caraway seed, onion, garlic, and a few other ingredients I can't quite remember just now. I parboil the crinkly cabbage leaves, then put the stuffing in and roll them up, then put them in the baking dish together with tomatoes over the top and other spices and sour cream, and then bake them until ready. I use the rest of the cabbage cut into ribbons and added to the dish. Sometimes I add a little white wine but not always. This is the recipe I was given by a Hungarian friend when I was at University, so it was a long time ago!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

My dad use to make his own sauerkraut and always went to buy cabbage at a local farm, The cabbages were huge and solid, One year he brought me one and thought I would make Pigs in blanket/stuff cabbage/, so getting the water boiling to put the cabbage in and getting the filling ready, I heard a weird noise, looked around and " Oh Crap" the cabbage split and not so I could salvage to make them. Great I promised to bring in fact enough to feed about 50 people. Ok so now what. Then it came to me Polish lasagna ! I softened the leaves in the boiling water and removed as if I was going to make the pigs. then just layer cabbage, filling, cabbage filling and so on. then topped it like I normally would, bacon sliced and tomato sauce baked it till cooked thoroughly and little brown on top. To my surprise it was a huge hit. I labeled it Polish lasagna, And only my dad said What happened to the pigs. I said the cabbage split and tried to run! He laughed.

The cabbage recipe will posted recipe because I am way to tired to use my brain so I am going away to rest.

My dad use to make his own sauerkraut and always went to buy cabbage at a local farm, The cabbages were huge and solid, One year he brought me one and thought I would make Pigs in blanket/stuff cabbage/, so getting the water boiling to put the cabbage in and getting the filling ready, I heard a weird noise, looked around and " Oh Crap" the cabbage split and not so I could salvage to make them. Great I promised to bring in fact enough to feed about 50 people. Ok so now what. Then it came to me Polish lasagna ! I softened the leaves in the boiling water and removed as if I was going to make the pigs. then just layer cabbage, filling, cabbage filling and so on. then topped it like I normally would, bacon sliced and tomato sauce baked it till cooked thoroughly and little brown on top. To my surprise it was a huge hit. I labeled it Polish lasagna, And only my dad said What happened to the pigs. I said the cabbage split and tried to run! He laughed.

Great story, and great recovery!!

Im always nervous when I make them as to how many 'good' leaves I will get out of the cabbage. When Im at the store, the produce workers must laugh at me, as I carefully inspect the cabbages for no defects or even microscopic evidence of splitting. Now, i usually buy 2 cabbages, since the outer leaves are usually are the easiest and least likely ( at least in my case) to become unusable. With the left over cabbage, I make sauerkraut.

Great story, and great recovery!!

Im always nervous when I make them as to how many 'good' leaves I will get out of the cabbage. When Im at the store, the produce workers must laugh at me, as I carefully inspect the cabbages for no defects or even microscopic evidence of splitting. Now, i usually buy 2 cabbages, since the outer leaves are usually are the easiest and least likely ( at least in my case) to become unusable. With the left over cabbage, I make sauerkraut.

Don't be overly concerned about perfect leaves, the process of making cabbage rolls is very forgiving. If you have some split or torn leaves then use two and overlap them to cover the hole or cut a leaf in two to make a patch.

I always bake mine, in Sweden it is called Kåldommar and doesnt have tomato in them

I'm interested in this one. It seems like almost every recipe for stuffed anything has to have tomatoes or tomato sauce or whatever. I like tomatoes just fine, but I like having options too.

I use the "cheats" version in Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book. She got it from her French neighbour. the cabbage & filling is layered in the pan rather than actually stuffed into the cabbage. A lot less fuss and palaver.

I googled Kaldommar and found very many recipes for this, but I will wait to see Cake Poet's recipe. There were several slight variations. Looks good.

The cabbage roll casserole is popular here in SW PA. There are many different names for it. Cabbage Roll Casserole, Inside Out Stuffed Cabbage, Lazy Man's Stuffed Cabbage. I make it sometimes when I only want enough for DH and I for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom