How do you dot with Butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not an expert, but the starch from the potatoes, and the natural clumping of flour is causing an up hill battle. Not sure why you put flour in with potatoes. The existing thickening agent in the potatoes would have caused a big clump of a mess.

Those recipes sound good.

Love the idea of carmelizing the onions Jeeks.

That's a classic ingredient.

I love potato gratin, could eat just that for dinner. When I first started making it, I was having trouble timing the gratin with dinner and almost always wound up with raw potatoes or onion. By, basically, pre-cooking everything you are guaranteed a great dish and can pretty much time when it's done. The cheese and cream cook into the potatoes a bit and everything just "melds" together.

I also remove the lid and let the top crust up a bit.

Try it with cauliflower instead of potatoes, swap out the parm for asiago, you can mix in bits of browned pancetta too.

I bought some tart dishes from BB&B for single serving gratins. Makes it even easier, and you can control how much you eat. :ermm::angel::pig:

0031-900075.jpeg

I am not an expert, but the starch from the potatoes, and the natural clumping of flour is causing an up hill battle. Not sure why you put flour in with potatoes. The existing thickening agent in the potatoes would have caused a big clump of a mess.

I've always used the flour and have never had a clump of mess...

you just spinkle in on lightly...you don't dump handfuls of the stuff.

Really it's very good....

For us silly people.. ALX how hot is an oven set at 4?

I bake mine for about an hour at 350...

I put down a layer of sliced potatoes
sprinkle with ham, diced onion, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese, and a little flour.
then dot with butter
Another layer of sliced potatoes
Another layer of ham, onion, salt, pepper, cheese and flour, dot with butter
Another layer of potatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, flour, dot with butter. ( can add more ham if you want)

Add some milk...

cover and bake for 45 minutes
uncover test potatoes for softness
if they are soft I top them with a mixture of cheddar and swiss cheese
and bake again until cheese is nice and melted.

yep gas mark four is 350 farenheit.

how much milk do you put in? as I understand you're supposed to cover the potatoes....

I never measure but I don't even come close to covering the potatoes...

I'd say I add it up to the first layer of taters. When the milk heats and the butter and cheese melt it all seems to work out fine for the sauce. COvering your pan keeps the liquid in.

I never measure but I don't even come close to covering the potatoes...

I'd say I add it up to the first layer of taters. When the milk heats and the butter and cheese melt it all seems to work out fine for the sauce. COvering your pan keeps the liquid in.

that may have been the poreblem. I'll have to try it again

when its cooked, is there milk left as the liquid or is it pretty much evaporated solidified, etc?

goodness knows I've still got a lot of learning to do!

Potatoes are very inexpensive...try again! :)

And you thought you only came here to learn what a butter dot was.
:LOL:

This has been a good thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom