How do you dot with Butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alx26

Cook
In a scalloped potatoes recipe it says to dot the potatoes with butter, How do i do that? Just trying to make sure. I'm guessing just put peaces of butter around.

Quick reply will be appreciated

Yes, take tiny chunks of butter and drop them all over the top of your taters. Take a pat of butter and quarter it, then drop the pieces on top. I don't think it really matters to much how you do it.

Cutting the pat of butter in quarters will not be a dot, that will be a small square. Just kidding. Yeah, I would say 1/2 tbls pat, cut if 4 would be a dot. Sort of like a pinch, depends on how big your fingers are.

Dotting really has nothing to do with size (within reason). It is just the process of sprinkling the butter around the top of whatever it is you are making.

Wouldn't melting the butter first and then pouring it on be easier?
Why would you want to dot? Or, when is dotting preferred?

This reminds me of culinary school. Our (very French) chef instructor said to add a "knob" of butter to our sauce at the end. Someone asked how much a knob was and he said "a little smaller than a dollop". Seriously!!!

Wouldn't melting the butter first and then pouring it on be easier?
Why would you want to dot? Or, when is dotting preferred?

If you melted it then it would burn quicker. Dotting allows for the melting time and gives you nice colour and flavour....I think :ermm:

I'll buy that.
But for scalloped potatoes, it seems the butter will be long melted before they are even close to being cooked. That is, unless you are dotting at the end. Interesting technique though. And now I'll know.

I would think that melting it ahead of time would cause the fats to separate and run off, where as the dot would give the potatoes time to absorb the butter as it slowly melts.

Take into consideration that the potatoes under the butter have to heat up so the butter will melt slower. I have several cake recipes (dump cake for example) where you also dot the butter. I also think melted butter would run all over and make the top soggy, but once again, I am just supposing.

Thanks again. I never thought of the potatoes slowly absorbing the butter as it melts.

Oh I love scalloped potatoes.

My idea is we "dot" the butter so it slowly melts and mixes with the butter and flour better. I don't know if this is true but.. it's what I've always thought.

lol those were a dissaster. I kept the potatoes in the oven on gas mark 4 for about an hour and they still came out tough and kinda raw. did I do sometihng wrong?

basically got a lasagne dish, cut potatoes in to about cm wide slices. layed them out, sprinckled with flour and seasoning, onion, butter and cheese, laid another layer out, did the same and the the final layer. Poured about two cups of milk in there. and covered everything with foil.

I always par-boil my mandolin sliced potatoes first, then assemble the casserole dish. A serving for 4 usually takes about 30-35 minutes in a 350 deg. oven. I also carmelize the onion in a seperate pan and let them cool a bit before putting the main dish together. Grated cheese, heavy cream, salt & pepper.

Edit: Oh, I like red bliss for that.

For us silly people.. ALX how hot is an oven set at 4?

I bake mine for about an hour at 350...

I put down a layer of sliced potatoes
sprinkle with ham, diced onion, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese, and a little flour.
then dot with butter
Another layer of sliced potatoes
Another layer of ham, onion, salt, pepper, cheese and flour, dot with butter
Another layer of potatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, flour, dot with butter. ( can add more ham if you want)

Add some milk...

cover and bake for 45 minutes
uncover test potatoes for softness
if they are soft I top them with a mixture of cheddar and swiss cheese
and bake again until cheese is nice and melted.

Those recipes sound good.

Love the idea of carmelizing the onions Jeeks.

Back
Top Bottom