"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Head Chef

How do you feel about bulk spices?

Does anyone out there ever buy spices in bulk? I do. How do you guys decide from what store you'll get the bulk seasonings from? I usually just go to my local natural store. I've noticed that a lot of the stores here in Oregon carry a bulk brand called Frontier. I find that I like this better because it is cheaper.

I honestly don't know if I can tell the difference between a good spice (Penzeys, since everyone raves about them) vs. something from a bulk store or prepackaged from Krogers.

p.s. I just found out they opened a new Penzeys in Oregon. Yippeee, I'll finally get to try some of their seasoning!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

I never buy spices in bulk.

Spices and dry herbs lose their begin to lose flavor immediately. I only buy what I can use in maybe 3 months. For some things (oregano, bay leaves) this may be a larger quantity than things like nutmeg or coriander.

I can't think of anything I use a quantity huge enough to justify buying in bulk. It'll just go stale on me.

Penzey's rocks. Always very fresh, which is the most important thing. And many times cheaper than the supermarket stuff.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Head Chef

Jenny, by bulk I mean the stuff you scoop out and can get as little or much as you want...not really the costco 5 pound bag. Once I bought 1 bay leaf, because that's what the recipe called for. It ended up not even registering on the scale so she gave it to me.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

i don't buy them in bulk, but have thought about it. i'm just worried that they'd lose flavor before i could use them up. i would buy sage in bulk, though, seeing as to how i use so much of it. maybe oregano and basil, too. i use a lot of oregano and basil in my cooking.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

Do you think it's not as fresh since it's not sealed? That's what I've been trying to figure out. I think when i get to the Penzeys store, i will do an experiment and try to make something using the same seasoning in two different batches to see if I can taste the difference.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I only bought in bulk once...and that was about 4 years ago. 90% of what I bought is still in the cabinet.

Since I bought in bulk I've probably bought the same spices again 2 or 3 times. I somehow I always forget what I still have at home while I'm at the store
Old 09-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

htc, we buy ours the same way. Yes, they are fresher (bulk) than the prepackaged stuff. The prepackaged you have no idea how long it has been in the spice companies warehouse, the store warehouse, or how long it may have been on the shelf.

Plus buying the amount you need is more cost effective, and cheaper to purchase, as you aren't paying for all that packaging.

Where we buy ours (bulk store) you can carry your own containers (thus recycling) or get it in ziplock bags. Buying from the bulk stores is probably 2-3 times cheaper than the grocery store.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Master Chef

OK, so you are not buying IN bulk, but from a bulk supplier.

I get it now!

I have done that a few times from Whole Foods and wasn;t real impressed.

But I would do a smell/taste test with a common spice or herb versus supermarket and some place like Penzey's. You probably don't even have to cook with them.

Bet you will find a clear winner that way.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Keep in mind that oxygen is an enemy when it comes to spices so if the air is able to get at them then the quality is going down. Like Jenny said, when you go to Penzys you will be able to do a comparison. Let us know what you find out!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
Executive Chef

That happened to us. Bought some chili powered from the bulk store and used the same amount as the chili powder we had used at the store. Except it was way hotter than the time before. So we attributed it to the spices (from the bulk store) were fresher.