"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Head Chef

How do you feel when people change your recipe around?

Kinda expanding off the thread of " Who follows recipes exactly", I was just curious how you people feel when someone asks you for your recipe, you give it to them, then they 'make changes and ( in their eyes) improvements'?

On the outside, and in general, I personally don't care. Im sure, on the inside, a little bit of me asks the question ' why did you mess around with my recipe? " .

But I guess the only thing that does annoy me, is when someone asks for your recipe, makes it ( with all their changes) for the next family gathering, and then announces how they made ' your' recipe. or even worse, makes it exactly then claims it as their own (both have happened to me in the past).

If its someone who I know, knows how to cook, I mind less or not at all, when compared to the person who doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't have functional taste buds, and kinda half-asses the recipe.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Kinda expanding off the thread of " Who follows recipes exactly", I was just curious how you people feel when someone asks you for your recipe, you give it to them, then they 'make changes and ( in their eyes) improvements'?

On the outside, and in general, I personally don't care. Im sure, on the inside, a little bit of me asks the question ' why did you mess around with my recipe? " .

But I guess the only thing that does annoy me, is when someone asks for your recipe, makes it ( with all their changes) for the next family gathering, and then announces how they made ' your' recipe. or even worse, makes it exactly then claims it as their own (both have happened to me in the past).

If its someone who I know, knows how to cook, I mind less or not at all, when compared to the person who doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't have functional taste buds, and kinda half-asses the recipe.
Considering that I probably got my recipe from someone and then altered it to suit what I had on hand or to my taste. or got it out of a recipe from somewhere and again altered it, I would think nothing of it. I may even use their recipe on my next try.

Why would it matter?

Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Wine Guy

Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm flattered if someone wants a recipe. I figure it's theirs to play with at that point. Plus I've had people take one of my recipes and sometimes improve it. Win-win.

Now I suppose if someone made one of my recipes, changed it around, announced to everyone that it was my recipe, and it tasted BAD... well, that might irk me a bit on the inside. But I would probably still smile and keep it to myself.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

Yup, I agree with Steve...

but depending on the company, if for the worse, I would definitely announce "It's mine but certainly with some interesting changes made".
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Master Chef

When I post a recipe, I usually tell folks to adapt it to make it their own.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Head Chef

I don't mind as to each their own taste, but like already said if change to your taste, say that its your version of someone's recipe. I always give a person the credit to the person recipe I make. I had a friend that wanted a recipe and gave it to her and at a gathering she made it and while I sat right next to her she said it was an old family recipe. I not the type to hold a grudge or get mad, just take the person as they are.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm always happy to share my recipes. It is a bit flattering after all.

I seldom have the opportunity to sample the shared recipe with or without changes. If someone came back to me and complained about a recipe at the same time telling me that made changes. I'd let them know my feelings.

If you're going to make changes to my recipe, don't give me credit. Call it your own.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...or even worse, makes it exactly then claims it as their own (both have happened to me in the past).
Back in the days of the Food Network forums, I had Tyler Florence steal one of the recipes I posted on the forums and claim it as his own. Then to top it all off, he moved to my old stomping grounds, San Francisco's Chinatown! I have hated him ever since, and if I am searching for a recipe and one of his pops up, I don't even look at it. Yes, I am a petty, vindictive S.O.B.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

When it comes to people tinkering with a recipe, I publicly say that I don't have any problem with it, and I really do mean it. But, deep down, I think to myself, "Why are you leaving out the balsamic vinegar? That's the best part!!" :)

@Sir_Loin_of_Beef: I can only imagine the burning rage this instilled in you. It would be bad enough if it were a fellow home cook, but it's a thousand times worse to know it was a celebrity chef who's already established.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Late Night Gourmet View Post
@Sir_Loin_of_Beef: I can only imagine the burning rage this instilled in you. It would be bad enough if it were a fellow home cook, but it's a thousand times worse to know it was a celebrity chef who's already established.
The strange thing is, it was over 14 years ago and I can't even remember what the recipe was, but I am still pissed off about it and I still carry a grudge!

Tags
recipe