"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do YOU flip an omelet?

I know this probably seems like a little thing, but I've never had success with it.

How do you personally go about flipping an omelet?

Surely there's some secret...

I use extra virgin olive oil and a non-stick skillet (pan?). The egg just seems to not want to cooperate. It'll tear rather than flip. The only way I've thus far been able to make an omelet is without flipping, but that ends up leaving one side a bit browned in order to get the other side done. I use 3 eggs, by the way.

I look forward to hearing your tips!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I use butter in a 7" non-stick skillet. I add all the other ingredients, like mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc....to get them softened. Then, I add two or three beaten eggs. With a rubber spatula, I lift the edges so the raw egg will run under the cooked egg. Do this till it's almost set. Then, with a circular motion I get the whole mass moving, to ensure that nothing is sticking on the bottom. Then, push you're hand away, dipping the pan enough for the eggs to slip over the side. It's a push away, push up sort of motion. Pull your hand back, lowering the pan as you do so, and catch the omelet as it falls back. Add cheese down the middle and cook for another 30 seconds. Let it slide out of the pan onto a plate using the side of the pan to fold it in half over the cheese, which will now be in the center.

It takes practice and a very good eye. Make sure your pan is hot enough and it's in good enough condition to not have anything stick.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Sous Chef

My BIL cooks the bottom, slides it onto a plate and flips it back in that way. The way I do it is probably technically not an omelette. I don't like it over-cooked but I don't like any runnyness. I cook the bottom on stovetop, lifting the sides to let the uncooked run underneath. I put the filling in and put under the broiler. I like how it makes it puffy. My DH approachs it from a scrambled egg point of view and near the end smushes it into an "omlette"
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't flip omelets. I cook them on one side and plate them.

When I make an omelet, I fill one half and slide that half onto the plate then move the pan across so the second half of the omelet flops over on top of the filled half.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Head Chef

Same here Andy. I don't flip mine either.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Master Chef

No flipping here. I do it the exact same way Andy M. does - slide half of it onto the plate & then flop the second half over on top. Don't see any need to "brown" the top side that ends up as the filled inside anyway.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I dont flip it either but when I do for the wife. I get under it with my silicon spatula and build momentum with the pan and support and control with the spatula.

I picked it up watching a guy in the cafeteria downstairs.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I don't flip either you need to make sure not to get the pan too hot so it doesn't burn on the bottom. You don't want to cook omelet until dry the eggs on the top should be a little soft not hard and dry.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Executive Chef

How to Make the Perfect Omelet / Omelette - Recipes Directions

I don't usually add a milk or water to my egg mix but this give you the idea
Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Master Chef

I like that JP, but, now I want an omelette and eggs make me sick. ROFLMAO

Tags
flip, omelet