How do you fold an omelette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghuraba

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for cooking a cheese omelett. I made it for the second time today, and I have trouble flipping/folding it. Are there any tricks to this?

I do it very clumsily! But I don't flip mine, I only fold it... kinda, sorta... well, no one sees it but me!

My only suggestion is to use a non-stick skillet and a very sharp edged spatula.

I use a small spartula, that fits the curve of the pan better. I only use it for omelets, so the edge stay sharp. When I was 12 I bought one of those two piece, hinged omelet pans, that worked great. But we all know how Alton feels about "uni-taskers".

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for cooking a cheese omelett. I made it for the second time today, and I have trouble flipping/folding it. Are there any tricks to this?

1. Use a slotted turner (Fish Spatula).
2. Beat three eggs, 1tsp milk or 1Tbs heavy cream; small pinch of salt.
3. Use 8-10" Cast Iron skillet. (You don't need teflon, trust me.)
4. Pre-heat skillet to medium-high.
5. "Mis-on-Plox" :chef: your grated cheese (have it on the ready).
6. Add two pats of butter and stir in the pan to coat it.
7. Just as the butter starts to brown, pour in eggs.
8. Don't be afraid to stir the wet eggs, but be quick... even-out the eggs.
9. just before they start to setup (not runny, but not set) -
- add the cheese . . .
10. Remove from heat and tilt pan over plate...
11. Use turner to guide the "egg pancake" onto the pan.
12. Use finesse to get the fold-over (You can do half-moon or three-fold.).
13. If it's a little messed-up on the plate, you can make ajustments on the plate.

the trick is NOT using low heat. Use medium-high heat, and it should take less than 90 seconds from eggs-in-pan to eggs-on-plate. Most people want to try and "control" the eggs by carefully using low-heat and waiting for them to set before doing anything. By that time, the eggs are already over-cooked and messing with them will just tear the omlette and frustrate the cook.

Golden (egg) Rule: if it's done in the pan, it's over-done!

Eggs will complete cooking with residual heat on the plate, as they are melting that tasty cheese you added. Have faith. You will get it right! :)

I abhor runny eggs so I've bailed on omelets and now make frittatas. Alton Brown has a good explanation. My favorite combo is crumbled bacon in the egg mix with provolone cheese...and place sliced avocados on the frittata right before serving and before you fold like an omelet. Heaven!

img_871567_0_d50dd292eaca43bfce1565e012ff342d.jpg

i made this family size omelet in a large pan - green onion and cheese omelet. i just kinda rolled it down to the edge and flipped it over onto a plate, then cut into 4 pieces.

The commercial for the Magic Bullet....I just cringe when they slide the omelet onto the plate. It looks like a powder puff, its so dry. And I agree with Trooper, about cooking medium-high heat. If the eggs don't sizzle when you pour them in, the pan's not high enough. And we all know cast iron is best.

I use a Teflon skillet to make my omelets.

Once the egg has started to set, I put cheese (and other stuff) on one half of the egg, the left side of the pan works for me. When it's ready to come out, I tilt the skillet over the plate and shake it back and forth to encourage the filled side to slide onto the plate. Then I move the tilted skillet back across the filled half of the omelet and that pushes unfilled half over onto the filled side as it falls out of the pan.

Works for me.

The best method I've seen, used a flat griddle and a large offset spatula.

It seems that Alton is the "eggspert". I also use the "ease half of it onto the plate and then drop the other half over it" method. Thought this is NOT how we were taught as school.

Beat eggs with NO added water or milk. Put Pour them into a Medium High heat and turn the heat immediately to Medium Low. Stir the eggs (almost scrambling) in the pan with a heatproof spatula (like for scraping cake batters) until they start to set, then quickly flip it into thirds with the same spatula and ease it onto the plate. The omelet should have very little to no colour on it. I was able to do this for my practical exam after much practice and frustration and have never event attemped it again!

I am all for Alton!

Back
Top Bottom