How do you learn to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's too funny Cooper and Tucker's mom.........we had no maids but my mother could not cook unless you called the meat "charcoaled".......and her cheese sandwiches were made with mustard......most kids are not going to eat that.........as I've said before she was great in so many other things but cooking wasn't one of them........and we had two spices.....salt and pepper.........great to hear that you "evolutionized".......

Off topic -- when I joined this forum our then little puppy was named Coopers for South Australia's Coopers beer. He died 4 months later last year -- canine renal failure. Because DH was inconsolable at the time, I searched high and low for a new Rottie and found one in Texas. I convinced him to fly with me to Dallas to get our new puppy, Tucker (Aussie term for "food" as in Tuckerbag.) Since I cannot change my user name...I decided to sign my name as Tucker's Mom aka Cooper's Mom.

I actually don’t agree with chefpaul, or at least I disagree in part. Not that what he is saying is wrong, but just some people cannot cook. Period. Not because of any fears or otherwise.

I have a cousin, she cooks up a storm on a daily bases, really, on the daily bases. But one cannot eat what she makes, it is disgustingly terrible foods. Tasteless at best, otherwise taste horrible. She invites us over and makes a huge spread, but every time I eat there I get sick. There are people that just do not know how to cook, just like I cannot skate, for example, and I’ve tried for years to learn, there are some people who cannot cook.

I for one am not afraid of cooking and actually am a pretty decent cook, not a chef, just a cook, but I am too lazy to bake, I hate measuring things, I hate mixing dough for example. So I do not bake out of laziness. But my soups are by far the best ones out of all of my friends. It’s because soups are easy and do not require measuring or reading of any recipes, another thing I am too lazy to do (aha, that is why my VCR still doesn’t have the timer programmed).

There is also difference between a cook and a chef. And that is of course a whole different subject.

When I first became on my own I had less than zero knowledge of cooking. My mother was not at all an enthusiastic, innovative or highly skilled cook to begin with, then she forbid me to mess with anything in the kitchen.
But my enthusiasm for food and anything tasty always lived inside me, so I was actually pretty thrilled to be finally able to do whatever I fancied to prepare my meal. It took a lot of experimenting, trial and error but gradually I learned my way. And it was still during the days of pre-information highway.
Today it is a few clicks away on the PC to get all sorts of info and interesting recipes, so you guys are much more at advantage. In this sense I sort of envy this generation, but I had my fun. And I bet the fun would be much more for you guys. So take an advantage and experiment away in the kitchen!

I suggest you start with basis recipes and learn from online sources such as this one. Many of the ingredients you find have substitutes. So if you find a recipe, you are likely to get substitutes for the ingredients so that in case you are unable to find one, you can get the other. Baking recipes are easier to start.

How to learn to cook

I would say that you should start out using recipes. Look for things online and try a few things that are new. In the beginning, being exact on your measurements is very important. Also, the cook time may vary from oven to oven, so you might want to start watching the oven a little bit before the food is supposed to be done, just in case. After you get used to following the recipes and really get a feel for the mechanics of it all, then you can move on to experimenting with different things. I learned by watching and helping my mother cook.

Also, I know it sounds odd, but cooking shows can teach you some greally great tips.

I believe that anyone that can read, can cook. If you are just starting out to cook or are forced to do so because you are living on your own and find it just too expensive to eat out all the time, then stick to the really basics.

Pasta such as spaghetti bolognaise or even aglio olio is really simple, so try starting with that. You don't have to make the sauce on your own if you are just starting out. Just buy the sauce in a jar. All you need to do is boil the pasta (follow the instructions on the packet), heat up the sauce. Then saute one chopped onion and 1 Tbs chopped garlic in a non-stick frying pan, add about 500g of ground beef and fry till brown. Add the ground beef to the sauce in a pot and simmer. Add sliced mushrooms. Add pepper and some mixed herbs to taste. Then, once the spaghetti is cooked, pour the sauce over and serve.

This is really basic cooking, but it gets you started and from there, you can move on to try making the pasta sauce yourself, experimenting with different types of sauce including cream based sauces, or just making spaghetti aglio olio.

A good cookbook to start with would be Jamie Oliver's Happy Days with The Naked Chef

Glen

Get a basic cookbook. Go to a bookstore and browse. A basic cookbook will have basic ingredients and nothing will be too fussy. Look for some old standards like Betty Crocker, Joy of Cooking, etc.

Pick a recipe and just follow the directions. If it calls for chopping or measuring have all that done ahead of time. Keep things in bowls that you have measured and chopped. When you get to it in the recipe you will be ready to add it. It will also be a safeguard to make sure you have everything on hand. That's the best advice I can give you and it's how I started cooking...just follow the recipe. :chef:

when someone asks this question , immediately think betty crocker. joy of cooking is a bit tougher. pick something that sounds like you would eat.bcbook has many answers for common questions, discusses how to measure and cooking techniques. make sure u have all the indg. and then go for it. there is nothing wrong with starting out using some simple mixs for cake etc. just at first stay in your own comfort zone, you will want to branch out soon enough.

i did learn some from my mom, a so so cook, and nothing from cooking in high school. i learned more cooking for a young family. then really got into it as i had more time. just don't get up tight if sometimes you struggle and the results are not all that great. use the idea, that is fun and creative and certainly a neccesary skill.guess i should have done this seperate posts . oh well

try watching sara lee semi homemade on the food network if you have cable. she will help you out a lot with the food and decorating later when you get confident and invite friends over.

i haven't read the whole thread. forgive me if i state something that some else has already posted.

a chopper for small amounts of nuts, garlic, onions and such

img_809807_0_d24db2126ce3e2dd94ec7d89bda7ce41.jpg

you wil also need measuring cups and spoons. i have several sets of each so i don't have to stop and wash in between measuring things.
you need dry AND wet measuring cups (they are definitely different) a good combination tool for this is a plunger type measuring "tube" is very useful for "sticky or messy" ingredients such as solid shortening or molasses. you won't waste time scraping those things out of the cup and it has wet and dry sides. also cleans pretty easy.

img_809807_1_721b0a0e17c32849dbef8e467258a87c.jpg

plenty of pot holders and/or heavy kitchen towels to serve double duty - for hot handling and as trivits under hot cookware.

pillsbury is another good starter basic cookbook.
and you can find the little pillsbury cookbooks at most checkout counters which are usually dedicated to one type of cooking recipes ie cookies, summer cooking, grilling etc. which are usaully keyed to the time of year. which can be handy in the beginning so you aren't looking for ingredients out of season.

Actually, the ingredients you find confusing are simple things you see everyday. There are culinary terms which are the version of the common name you give you things. Start with simple cook books and then move on to advanced ones. Once you make one meal, the rest are easy. Start with cookies and pastries, then move on to frying and other advanced cooking methods.

This is a long thread with lots of good advice and some that's maybe not so good.

For a true, absolute beginner I don't think the internet is a great source. Sure, its free and there's a wealth of great information. The problem is sorting through it and finding the stuff that's really helpful and reliable. If you don't know anything about cooking, you also don't really know how to evaluate the information, recipes, etc. you find on the internet. Remember, anyone can post whatever they like. I'd say fully half the information - recipes, techniques, etc., are not especially great. I'm not saying the internet isn't a good source, only that it isn't the best primary source.

The same holds true of cooking shows. TV chefs need to be original and creative, and they're all showman. If not, their shows wouldn't last very long. In terms of learning basic techniques and recipes, they are a useful source but, again, not the best primary source.

Learning from experienced cooks, such as family or friends, is great but not always possible. Besides, even great cooks aren't always great teachers and unless you spend a great deal of time cooking with them, you're only going to learn how to make a fairly limited range of food.

Professional cooking classes are probably the best way to learn, but impractical for most of us.

So, what does that leave? Cookbooks! Not mere recipe collections or celebrity chef cookbooks. Start with good, basic general purpose cookbooks. Several have been mentioned - Betty Crocker, Joy of Cooking, Fannie Farmer, Mark Bittman (How To Cook Everything), and others.

Any of these will do as a start. My strong recommendation is the regular Betty Crocker Cookbook (9th or 10th edition). Everything is clearly explained, with good photos and illustrations, and the recipes are all field-tested and work! You can't do better for a first cookbook and you'll find it to remain a favorite throughout your cooking career. Buy as many other cookbooks as you want and can afford, but buy this one first.

One other important piece of advice, particularly when you're first learning. The first time you make anything, follow the recipe EXACTLY with absolutely no changes or substitutions! Evaluate the result and make notes of anything you think might improve it the next time you make it. Before you know it, you'll have your own personalized "signature" recipes made to your individual taste and earning kudos from friends and family.

I see a lot of great advice on here..........mine is pasta.........yep.....you can mess that up, too..........but not if you follow directions and devote some time to watching the pasta so you don't overcook it.........you want to look really fabiousla??? Cooking for 4? Then buy a good decent pasta sauce (I prefer Paul Newman's but there are some really good ones out there.......sorry, I add a bitta red wine, mushrooms approximately 1/3 teaspoon Italian herbs rubbed between my hands before adding a a wee bit of sugar.......but tweek your taste buds to the way you like (fresh basil is supremo but not absolutely necessary........into that wonderful melange I add a large can of drained clams and a can of artichoke hearts (drained in brine not oil) that I have chopped on the coarse side (not fine in other words).....serve this with simple salad and an Italian bread-------for dessert I prefer a sherbert or some fresh fruit..........

I didn't know how to cook when I met my husband 7 years ago. He put a box of Hamburger Helper down, and just told me to read the directions. It was easier than I thought. Like you said, if you know how to cook eggs, start with that. Experiment with that and add ingredients. It doesn't have to look pretty, just as long as it tastes to your liking. The more you cook, the more you will want to experiment. Good Luck! Oh, and don't forget that if you handle chicken before it's cooked, remember to wash your hands.

As I continue to learn to cook, I do several different things.

Often I look here at the "what are you having for dinner" posts.
Or, I'll look through restaurant menus online and see what would be appetizing if I was out.
Or, I have a craving for something that I've had before.

The next step is to find a recipe. I use allrecipes.com like it's going out of style. A previous poster mentioned the site, and I agree completely. There are tons of recipes out there, and if you look through the reviews you can see what may need to be changed to make it better. Often I just run the recipe as written the first time and then think about how I can change it to suit my tastes for the next time (or throw it in the garbage if it was truly aweful).

All of the advice to get cookbooks are valid, but if you are an internet junky like me, I don't think you need them. Most are available online. I think I am going to ask for some Alton Brown books for Fathers day though. That guy just get's it for me.

At the end of it all, just have fun. My friends and I started having cooking parties once a month. Each person has to cook something for everyone, and it has to be something that you have never cooked before. It's great fun.

i also posted this in another thread.

trial and error are important learning tools. the first time i made homemade ravioli (i rolled the dough by hand). my table was bent in the middle so when i did the make a well in the flour and drop an egg in method, the egg rolled out of the well and into the crack and onto the floor. the cat was happy i wasn't!! well i got the dough mixed and made my raviolis not a one broke open!! BUT you could only fit ONE on a 9" plate. :LOL: i have gotten better at the size thing and i still like to roll my own dough out because they never leak the filling into the water.

the first time i made swedish meatballs well............ my hub still refers to them as swedish bowling balls. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

they tasted good!!

after i had my first daughter (at the begining of december) i was told i still had to bring lemon meringue pie and pecan pie for holiday dinner (mine were the best i was told). well i was so tired from nursing the baby and little sleep. i made my pies. they looked beautiful. the pecan was perfect but when my uncle cut into the lemon and it was soup he just rolled with it and said thats ok just give me a spoon this is mine!! accidents happen!! this happened AFTER i was making lemon pies for years so even experienced cooks have off days. no worries. learn to laugh at the boo boos!! and never apologize.

It's a shame they don't teach how to cook in schools anymore, at least they certainly don't here. It's so ironic, the TV schedules are filled with cookery shows, but we have a geneartion of kids that only seem to know how to open a packet , so have loads of health problems as a consequence of not eating well.

It's a shame they don't teach how to cook in schools anymore, at least they certainly don't here. It's so ironic, the TV schedules are filled with cookery shows, but we have a geneartion of kids that only seem to know how to open a packet , so have loads of health problems as a consequence of not eating well.
the girls had to take home-ec in 7 and 8th grades (boys got shop) when i was in school.

my oldest girl took cooking in high school one year.

Back
Top Bottom