How do you learn to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the girls had to take home-ec in 7 and 8th grades (boys got shop) when i was in school.

my oldest girl took cooking in high school one year.

Hi msmofet -

You reminded me of yesteryear with your recent post here. When I was in 6th grade, I had a choice of electives (shop, home-ec, PE, etc.), I choose home-ec knowing I'd be one of two guys in a class of 30, and being as cocky as I was, figured it would be an "opportunity". :)

As it turned out, it was a bit of a pain. I basked in the light of everyone wanting to be my partner after the first assignment. It was fun for about two days being wanted by everyone. Than it quickly became a pain. All the sniping in the room that was going on was too stressful. I definitely learned a lesson there.

I was an A+ student in home-ec due to my having to do for myself at an early age (I mentioned that up the thread a bit), but if I needed a button reattached, a patch ironed on, etc., I did it myself. The funny thing is, most of the girls couldn't boil water without written instruction.

From that year forward, I selected shop :)

Thanks msmofet for reminding me of this :)

Have a nice day,

Bob

Hi msmofet -

You reminded me of yesteryear with your recent post here. When I was in 6th grade, I had a choice of electives (shop, home-ec, PE, etc.), I choose home-ec knowing I'd be one of two guys in a class of 30, and being as cocky as I was, figured it would be an "opportunity". :)

As it turned out, it was a bit of a pain. I basked in the light of everyone wanting to be my partner after the first assignment. It was fun for about two days being wanted by everyone. Than it quickly became a pain. All the sniping in the room that was going on was too stressful. I definitely learned a lesson there.

I was an A+ student in home-ec due to my having to do for myself at an early age (I mentioned that up the thread a bit), but if I needed a button reattached, a patch ironed on, etc., I did it myself. The funny thing is, most of the girls couldn't boil water without written instruction.

From that year forward, I selected shop :)

Thanks msmofet for reminding me of this :)

Have a nice day,

Bob
everybody wanted you!! LOL we didn't get a choice girls got home-ec and boys got shop and never the twain was met!!

Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... :( I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies :chef:)

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?
I was like you about 6 months ago, The only thing I knew how to make was tuna fish sandwiches & mac & cheese, Big deal everyone can do that, You can too it's pretty easy mate. The first month in my new place was a bit of nerve racking and I've learned to make bread on my own, I've learned to make pizza from scratch, I've learned how to kneed bread, make any kind of dough I want, I know how to make mothers for breads, I can make soups, I can "SOMEWHAT" BBQ a little bit, I can make sauces, I can reduce stuff to make into a sauce/glaze marinade or what ever I needed the reduction for, I can mosafy which is pretty hard for me yet. I've got 2 cubered's full of spices ONLY,

By the way "Spices are a must in any cooking" they will bring out the flavors big time, Just be careful about how much to use. I hope I've helped you in any way.

I always feel that everyone should start with egg cookery before anything else. You make scrambled, omelettes, over easy, sunny sides, soufles, meringue. You can progress and understand a lot of fundamentals in cooking eggs. Every professional chef I know and talk to often, agree egg cookery is a VERY important skill and is the building blocks to becoming a talented cook.

I agree! Also, eggs are cheap and easy to start with. 1star, on another thread is a basic omelete recipe. Learn this recipe, serve with flair and style and the ladies will flock to your door.

I learned eggs first out of necessity. I was too short to reach things in the cabinet and I was tired of cold sandwiches. How hard can scrambled eggs be?! First lesson! If the egg looks done in the pan, it will be overdone on the plate.

Get comfortable with eggs. Get comfortable with your stove and pans. Once you are comfortable you will feel confidence in expanding your skills.

Cooking starts at home. With, and for, people who make you happy.

Follow the recipe. Understand that it is just words, a best instruction/representation by its author.

Keep tasting your effort, from start to finish.

Get a pet dog for your boo-boos.

Try again.

Hello from France,
In France we learn how to cook when we are very young, because we see our parents cooking nearly everyday.What's more, wee love eating.
If you don't like eating something good, or if you don't see the interest in it, or if you are not ready to spend hours working in your kitchn, then you will never be a good cook.
Send me an e-mailif your are more interested, I will sned you the adress of my website, which is totally independant.
christophe.59990@orange.fr

Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... :( I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies :chef:)

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?
Hi, I agree that Alton brown is an excellent chef. He's also written several books that you should definitely check out, and of course all his recipes are online. Anyways, I'm not affiliated with him at all, just a fan. But I wanted to say, you should really invest in a good quality set of cookware; that more than anything will put you on the road to becoming a great chef. Poor cookware will make it much more difficult to avoid overcooking, or burning food, and cleanup will be horrible.

"cooking gets the ladies"

well, so does ordering out from a 4 star restraunt (picking it up of course, cause they will not deliver), replating it, and saying you cooked it yourself. Just avoid ordering time sensitive dishes like risotto, as they don't impress when reheated.

Seriously, if you need to learn to cook to survive, as is what I'm getting from the jist of your post, there are a lot of good books on the matter. but seriously, its not all that hard. If you keep a stable of basic ingredients, you can survive. buy:

Raman noodles. If you fail, and fail hard, each scrumptious packet just takes two cups of water and a 1-2quart pan, plus a stirring spoon. If you are adventurious, hot dog, other pre-cooked meats, or raw shrimp added 2 minutes before serve time adds to the flavor and protein of the dish.

For a serious stock up...long grain Rice, all purpose flour, large or x-tra large eggs(are often only a few cents more than large for a much bigger egg). whole or 2% milk, basic spices from the bottle(salt, pepper, cumin, chili poweder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, italian blend(or thyme, parsley, oregano), allspice, hot peppers if you like(cayanne is a popular powdered hot, as are red pepper flakes). Also consider getting pre-made sauces, like chili sauce (cold sauce, not hot, made from tomatoes and peppers and typically put on eggs by americans), soy sauce, woosh(however the fudge you spell it)shire sauce, salad dressings to your taste, mayonayse, spicey mustard, hot dog mustard(yellow) ketchup, relish(add to mayo for tartar sauce on the cheap).

For vege...keep french trinity on hand (onion, carrot, celery), as well as garlic, green peppers, and tomatos.

For canned goods, canned tomatos work as a good replacement for tomatos in sauces, but fresh tomatos are still best for BLTs, and salads.

Lettuce is always needed for healthy living.

you might consider frozen vege for meals, like mixed vegetables, corn, french beans, etc...

Now this has been more of a stock-up reply. how do you LEARN how to cook?

from everywhere. ask anyone and you'll get a recipe. books are tailored to new chefs these days. when hungry, your tummy will let you know what it wants when your fridge is stocked, and that leads to experimentation, which leads to a potential future chef.

So many supermarkets these days have meat deals, its foolish to buy fresh and not freeze it. Redners does their 5 for 19.95 which can be an amazing value getting a good cut of steak marked for sale at 9.97 for only $4. more likely than not, you'll get chuck or round, but still when prepared properly both can be great.

its amazing what a marinade can do to turn an average cut of beef into something special.

Its also funny what a talkative fishmonger can do. Just this morning I went to my market where I'm good mates with my fishseller. He pulls out a pound and a half of flash frozen sockeye salmon on sale next week for 6.99(!!) a pound, normally 11.99, and hands it to me. Nice to get a taste of a sale early.

My point is, you'll get inspiration to cook from anything if you WANT to cook. if you need to cook to survive, and you have no passion for it, best buy a book on the matter and study it.

Back
Top Bottom