"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #81
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
the girls had to take home-ec in 7 and 8th grades (boys got shop) when i was in school.

my oldest girl took cooking in high school one year.

Hi msmofet -

You reminded me of yesteryear with your recent post here. When I was in 6th grade, I had a choice of electives (shop, home-ec, PE, etc.), I choose home-ec knowing I'd be one of two guys in a class of 30, and being as cocky as I was, figured it would be an "opportunity". :-)

As it turned out, it was a bit of a pain. I basked in the light of everyone wanting to be my partner after the first assignment. It was fun for about two days being wanted by everyone. Than it quickly became a pain. All the sniping in the room that was going on was too stressful. I definitely learned a lesson there.

I was an A+ student in home-ec due to my having to do for myself at an early age (I mentioned that up the thread a bit), but if I needed a button reattached, a patch ironed on, etc., I did it myself. The funny thing is, most of the girls couldn't boil water without written instruction.

From that year forward, I selected shop :-)

Thanks msmofet for reminding me of this :-)

Have a nice day,

Bob

Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #82
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Hi msmofet -

You reminded me of yesteryear with your recent post here. When I was in 6th grade, I had a choice of electives (shop, home-ec, PE, etc.), I choose home-ec knowing I'd be one of two guys in a class of 30, and being as cocky as I was, figured it would be an "opportunity". :-)

As it turned out, it was a bit of a pain. I basked in the light of everyone wanting to be my partner after the first assignment. It was fun for about two days being wanted by everyone. Than it quickly became a pain. All the sniping in the room that was going on was too stressful. I definitely learned a lesson there.

I was an A+ student in home-ec due to my having to do for myself at an early age (I mentioned that up the thread a bit), but if I needed a button reattached, a patch ironed on, etc., I did it myself. The funny thing is, most of the girls couldn't boil water without written instruction.

From that year forward, I selected shop :-)

Thanks msmofet for reminding me of this :-)

Have a nice day,

Bob
everybody wanted you!! LOL we didn't get a choice girls got home-ec and boys got shop and never the twain was met!!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #83
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies )

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?
I was like you about 6 months ago, The only thing I knew how to make was tuna fish sandwiches & mac & cheese, Big deal everyone can do that, You can too it's pretty easy mate. The first month in my new place was a bit of nerve racking and I've learned to make bread on my own, I've learned to make pizza from scratch, I've learned how to kneed bread, make any kind of dough I want, I know how to make mothers for breads, I can make soups, I can "SOMEWHAT" BBQ a little bit, I can make sauces, I can reduce stuff to make into a sauce/glaze marinade or what ever I needed the reduction for, I can mosafy which is pretty hard for me yet. I've got 2 cubered's full of spices ONLY,

By the way "Spices are a must in any cooking" they will bring out the flavors big time, Just be careful about how much to use. I hope I've helped you in any way.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #84
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEFPAUL View Post
I always feel that everyone should start with egg cookery before anything else. You make scrambled, omelettes, over easy, sunny sides, soufles, meringue. You can progress and understand a lot of fundamentals in cooking eggs. Every professional chef I know and talk to often, agree egg cookery is a VERY important skill and is the building blocks to becoming a talented cook.
I agree! Also, eggs are cheap and easy to start with. 1star, on another thread is a basic omelete recipe. Learn this recipe, serve with flair and style and the ladies will flock to your door.

I learned eggs first out of necessity. I was too short to reach things in the cabinet and I was tired of cold sandwiches. How hard can scrambled eggs be?! First lesson! If the egg looks done in the pan, it will be overdone on the plate.

Get comfortable with eggs. Get comfortable with your stove and pans. Once you are comfortable you will feel confidence in expanding your skills.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #85
Head Chef

Cooking starts at home. With, and for, people who make you happy.

Follow the recipe. Understand that it is just words, a best instruction/representation by its author.

Keep tasting your effort, from start to finish.

Get a pet dog for your boo-boos.

Try again.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #86
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsticks View Post
Get a pet dog for your boo-boos.

Try again.

I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Clean your plates, the dog hates my cooking", but that's not true!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #87
Head Chef

Fried eggs are especially hard! Everyone prefers them their own special way, and it takes a good control of heat. Always a key to cooking.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #88
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybar22 View Post
I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Clean your plates, the dog hates my cooking", but that's not true!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #89
Assistant Cook

Hello from France,
In France we learn how to cook when we are very young, because we see our parents cooking nearly everyday.What's more, wee love eating.
If you don't like eating something good, or if you don't see the interest in it, or if you are not ready to spend hours working in your kitchn, then you will never be a good cook.
Send me an e-mailif your are more interested, I will sned you the adress of my website, which is totally independant.
christophe.59990@orange.fr
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #90
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies )

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?
Hi, I agree that Alton brown is an excellent chef. He's also written several books that you should definitely check out, and of course all his recipes are online. Anyways, I'm not affiliated with him at all, just a fan. But I wanted to say, you should really invest in a good quality set of cookware; that more than anything will put you on the road to becoming a great chef. Poor cookware will make it much more difficult to avoid overcooking, or burning food, and cleanup will be horrible.