"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #81
Sous Chef
 
CasperImproved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
the girls had to take home-ec in 7 and 8th grades (boys got shop) when i was in school.

my oldest girl took cooking in high school one year.

Hi msmofet -

You reminded me of yesteryear with your recent post here. When I was in 6th grade, I had a choice of electives (shop, home-ec, PE, etc.), I choose home-ec knowing I'd be one of two guys in a class of 30, and being as cocky as I was, figured it would be an "opportunity". :-)

As it turned out, it was a bit of a pain. I basked in the light of everyone wanting to be my partner after the first assignment. It was fun for about two days being wanted by everyone. Than it quickly became a pain. All the sniping in the room that was going on was too stressful. I definitely learned a lesson there.

I was an A+ student in home-ec due to my having to do for myself at an early age (I mentioned that up the thread a bit), but if I needed a button reattached, a patch ironed on, etc., I did it myself. The funny thing is, most of the girls couldn't boil water without written instruction.

From that year forward, I selected shop :-)

Thanks msmofet for reminding me of this :-)

Have a nice day,

Bob
__________________

__________________
If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #82
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Hi msmofet -

You reminded me of yesteryear with your recent post here. When I was in 6th grade, I had a choice of electives (shop, home-ec, PE, etc.), I choose home-ec knowing I'd be one of two guys in a class of 30, and being as cocky as I was, figured it would be an "opportunity". :-)

As it turned out, it was a bit of a pain. I basked in the light of everyone wanting to be my partner after the first assignment. It was fun for about two days being wanted by everyone. Than it quickly became a pain. All the sniping in the room that was going on was too stressful. I definitely learned a lesson there.

I was an A+ student in home-ec due to my having to do for myself at an early age (I mentioned that up the thread a bit), but if I needed a button reattached, a patch ironed on, etc., I did it myself. The funny thing is, most of the girls couldn't boil water without written instruction.

From that year forward, I selected shop :-)

Thanks msmofet for reminding me of this :-)

Have a nice day,

Bob
everybody wanted you!! LOL we didn't get a choice girls got home-ec and boys got shop and never the twain was met!!
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #83
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies )

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?
I was like you about 6 months ago, The only thing I knew how to make was tuna fish sandwiches & mac & cheese, Big deal everyone can do that, You can too it's pretty easy mate. The first month in my new place was a bit of nerve racking and I've learned to make bread on my own, I've learned to make pizza from scratch, I've learned how to kneed bread, make any kind of dough I want, I know how to make mothers for breads, I can make soups, I can "SOMEWHAT" BBQ a little bit, I can make sauces, I can reduce stuff to make into a sauce/glaze marinade or what ever I needed the reduction for, I can mosafy which is pretty hard for me yet. I've got 2 cubered's full of spices ONLY,

By the way "Spices are a must in any cooking" they will bring out the flavors big time, Just be careful about how much to use. I hope I've helped you in any way.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #84
Mr. Greenjeans
 
bigdaddy3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEFPAUL View Post
I always feel that everyone should start with egg cookery before anything else. You make scrambled, omelettes, over easy, sunny sides, soufles, meringue. You can progress and understand a lot of fundamentals in cooking eggs. Every professional chef I know and talk to often, agree egg cookery is a VERY important skill and is the building blocks to becoming a talented cook.
I agree! Also, eggs are cheap and easy to start with. 1star, on another thread is a basic omelete recipe. Learn this recipe, serve with flair and style and the ladies will flock to your door.

I learned eggs first out of necessity. I was too short to reach things in the cabinet and I was tired of cold sandwiches. How hard can scrambled eggs be?! First lesson! If the egg looks done in the pan, it will be overdone on the plate.

Get comfortable with eggs. Get comfortable with your stove and pans. Once you are comfortable you will feel confidence in expanding your skills.
__________________
No matter how many Bibles he swears on, when a dog tells you he's a vegetarian, he's lying.
bigdaddy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #85
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
Cooking starts at home. With, and for, people who make you happy.

Follow the recipe. Understand that it is just words, a best instruction/representation by its author.

Keep tasting your effort, from start to finish.

Get a pet dog for your boo-boos.

Try again.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #86
Senior Cook
 
katybar22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gratefully, Texas
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsticks View Post
Get a pet dog for your boo-boos.

Try again.

I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Clean your plates, the dog hates my cooking", but that's not true!!!
__________________
Be the kind of woman, that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap, she's up".
katybar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #87
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,123
Fried eggs are especially hard! Everyone prefers them their own special way, and it takes a good control of heat. Always a key to cooking.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #88
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by katybar22 View Post
I have a sign in my kitchen that says "Clean your plates, the dog hates my cooking", but that's not true!!!
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #89
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LILLE
Posts: 5
Hello from France,
In France we learn how to cook when we are very young, because we see our parents cooking nearly everyday.What's more, wee love eating.
If you don't like eating something good, or if you don't see the interest in it, or if you are not ready to spend hours working in your kitchn, then you will never be a good cook.
Send me an e-mailif your are more interested, I will sned you the adress of my website, which is totally independant.
christophe.59990@orange.fr
__________________
Christophe's cuisine
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #90
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies )

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?
Hi, I agree that Alton brown is an excellent chef. He's also written several books that you should definitely check out, and of course all his recipes are online. Anyways, I'm not affiliated with him at all, just a fan. But I wanted to say, you should really invest in a good quality set of cookware; that more than anything will put you on the road to becoming a great chef. Poor cookware will make it much more difficult to avoid overcooking, or burning food, and cleanup will be horrible.
__________________

__________________
AJ Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.