How Do You Like Your Hot Dog???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
At the restaurant I work at...we sell a ton of Hot Dogs...

How do you like yours??? I've seen all kinds of combinations???

I'll take mine with Chili, Colby Jack, Onion, Relish, and Mustard!!!

start with brown mustard.
then i put on different combinations of: either raw onions or sabrett onions in sauce, baked beans, chilli, cheese, sauerkraut, pickled hot peppers, and potatoes.

I usually like onions, horseradish mustard, fresh relish and a sport pepper or gardinara. NOOOOOOOO celery salt! ;)
1.gif

For my perfect hot dog, I start with a very fresh and soft sesame seed bun. The hot dog has to be red not that awful brown color. I add mustard and relish and on occasion, chili.

Anyone out there live in Quebec? The very best hot dog I've ever eaten was a truly French experience in Quebec. Down by the port was a brew pub (before they were popular in the US, about a dozen years ago) called the Lenix or something like that. It was a very surreal experience. No one spoke English (works for me), clientelle was mostly 20-and 30-something yuppies on lunch break. All they served was beer and hot dogs, but what hot dogs. They had this bizarre machine that looked like a bunch of, well, male body parts, that shot out steam. They'd steam foot long hot dogs in a steamer, then they'd impale really great baguettes on these rather obscene steamers. Then they'd squirt your mustard choice into the cavity caused by being impaled on the steamer, then wiggle the foot long into the baguette. Needless to say delicious. We couldn't understand the conversation around us (my French is only rudimentary), but if you can picture this, you can just imagine the conversation, and you don't need to speak the language. The food was great, and the hilarity beyond that.

I very rarely eat hot dogs. Don't know what's in them. I used to take them camping, as easy for lunch grilling, but one weekend, when camping, the Sunday newspaper supplement had an article on their possible ingredients; i.e., things like nails ground in, etc., and I was completely turned off them. That was about two years ago. Another thing I won't eat is scrapple. Never tried it and have no desire to do so. Where we live there is a scrapple factory and the town has a huge apple/scrapple festival in the early Fall. The festival is fun with lots of craft booths and food choices, with of course the scrapple, but didn't try any. What's in that? Kind of like hot dogs with "secret" ingredients. Pretty fussy here about the meat I eat.

Oh, dear. I'm not a huge hot dog fan, but if I quit eating everything that might fall into this category, I'd never eat. Oh, yes, those dust mites living in my pillows. Never sleep, either. And certainly never eat in a Chinese restaurant .... ever been in the kitchen? And that's in the US, in Asia you really don't want to know.

Do you know what the death rate in the US is? 100%

For those of you who love cultural stories, I will tell you about going to Manchester (NH that is) when I was a teenager. You have to start out by knowing I grew up pretty much without grandparents. Oh, I had the standard 4 plus one, but we were military, so I saw them every half dozen years or so, didn't really know them. One day I was in my grandparents' apartment on Sunday morning, and the food was to be "saucisse" (my grandparents didn't speak English). What was breakfast that day? Hot Dogs. And I do have to say, they were SO tasty, and at that time (and for many years) I didn't like hot dogs at all. Both the hot dogs and buns were steamed (not boiled or fried), and they were served with the regular breakfast foods. Oh, yes ... does anyone else connect celery salt with hot dogs? have no idea whre that started, but it was the traditional accompaniment when I was a child, and my Quebecoise grandparents would not have served hot dogs without them. Both my memeres were known for being lousy cooks, this was a pepere thing.

AS much as I claim to not like hot dogs, isn't it amazing that a couple of my favorite memories involve hot dogs. I'm sure Freud could find something there!!

My favorite hot dog... I would have to say steamed and placed in a whole wheat bun with chili and sweet pickle relish, no wait, pigs in the blanket, no, cooked whole in great baked beans, but wait, I forgot skewered and roasted in a campfire, but those memories of sitting with my Dad and eating a cold hot dog along with a good chunk of colbly cheese makes me hungry, or what about dogs and kraut.

Oh let's just face it. I love hot dogs any way they're served. But, I am picky about what brands I purchase. I know which ones taste great and have great texture, and which ones are pure garbage.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like our hot dog very much!

She's pretty well behaved most of the time, although she is prone to temper tantrums occasionally. She also goes absolutely bonkers when my Dad visits, since he always has a pocket full of doggie treats for her, and we weren't talking about Dachsunds, were we???? :roll:

John

OK, don't shoot me or ban me for this because I know I am in the minority here! :oops: I like my hot dogs with chili, tabasco, mayo(only when I'm at home), mustard, ketchup, & sweet pickle relish.

Here's one for the long-timers here. A hot dog split down the middle, stuffed with cheese and then wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven until bacon is crispy! Remember that one? :D 8)

DampCharcoal said:
Here's one for the long-timers here. A hot dog split down the middle, stuffed with cheese and then wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven until bacon is crispy! Remember that one? :D 8)

Francheesey???

They have those at the little diner in Chicago that we usually stop at when were in town.

John

I like my hot dog made the Central American way:

Slightly toasted bun
coleslaw salad
guacamole
On top of the above sits the winner and on top of the winner, a strip of mustard, a stripe of mayo and a stripe of ketchup.

YUMMY! I think i will have one of those for lunch ;)

I like mine Chicago style. Dill spear, tomatoes, sport peppers, the works. And don't forget the mustard! :)

Mine...

First it has to be cooked over a camp fire. Then,
put on a cheap white bun then,
smothered with ketchup, onions and sweet pickle relish.
[

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom