How do you make your Popcorn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this exciting thread about popcorn here at DC:

Question regarding popcorn also (
multipage.gif
1 2)

Mirandgl said:
I have used a “Whirley Pop” popcorn popper for about ten years. It is a stove top device that you have to crank to stir the contents as the kernels pop. It makes fantastic popcorn and the best thing is that almost every kernel pops. Most microwave popcorn I have ever made seems to leave a high percentage of un-popped kernels and/or burns the ones that did pop.

I use ½ cup popcorn, ½ T corn oil and ½ t Flavocol popcorn seasoning and in about 3 minutes @ med-high heat I have 6 quarts of great popcorn.

The popper has a vented lid that allows steam to escape and avoids soggy popcorn. A very small amount of oil can be used due to the continual motion created by cranking which helps eliminate burning.

The popper came with a nice list of recipes but I think I have only used the one for caramel popcorn. It is all made in the popper but wasn’t that good. Clean up was also a bit of a pain.

I also have a Whirley Pop Popcorn maker.. I really love what it does and the popcorn comes out perfect every time for me.. I have since thrown out my air and microwave poppers...

-Brad

You all got me so hungry for stove-top popcorn. lol, I went to Amazon and ordered a Whirley !! You guys and the reviews on Amazon -sold me ! Thanks all !! Barb L. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caveat on the Whirley Pop: The bottom pan is good to go in the dishwasher but the top assembly doesn’t like it too much. I prefer not to admit how I know this.

We only use the air popper at Christmas season. The popcorn made with no oil is great to use for stringing popcorn we use for a garnish on the tree.

I am the dedicated air popcorn popper here. I have noticed the type of popcorn does make a difference. I use the standard yellow large kernal popcorn bought at the grocery. Pops perfect, tender, fluffy popcorn, that is before I pour on the butter:LOL:. Pops all the kernels too.

Whirley-Pop popcorn popper!!!

My brother gave Buck some Ladyfinger popcorn as a birthday gift. I'd ordered a Whirley-Pop popper from our local Ace hardware store and the popper arrived a few days after Buck's birthday.

Well, we tried the popcorn last night. Ladyfinger is miniature corn he bought at a local Amish market. Here's a link that describes it a bit more.

First of all, the Whirley-Pop was an awesome popper. We used 1/2 cup of corn and 3 tablespoons coconut oil (like the movies used to use) and had 6 quarts of light, fluffy corn in only a few minutes. Best of all, there were essentially NO unpopped kernels. Of course, we topped it with real melted butter and salt. What a wonderful batch of popcorn!!!

I almost bought the Whirley-Pop until I realized it was made out of aluminum. Aluminum is a soft metal and can be absorbed in the food you are making when heated, then ingested into the body. Not good. It does accumulate in the body.

I made my popcorn on the stove in an old, cruddy, non-stick pot. It came out perfect but then I started thinking that the old non-stick pot probably wasn't a good idea and pitched it. I got a Cuisinart pop-corn maker. It works great. I use extra-virgin coconut oil in it. Coconut oil is very healthy but unfortunately has been given a bad rap. It takes only a minute to prepare and then I flip the clear plastic "bucket" over and it becomes my serving bowl. I highly recommend the Cuisinart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom