How do you open saltines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whenever i try to open a 'thing' oof saltine crakers the pack does not open at the seam but explodes in a gloriuous confetti fallout.

are there any tips on how to control these ticking time bombs?

I know exactly what you are talking about. For some reason I've been fortunate in that all the sleeves of saltines I've been opening over the last long, long while have been nice and cooperative. That is, they open on the seam. My husband, on the other hand, has no patience with any kind of packaging so his usual MO is slitting the offending wrapper with his pocket knife.

I really don't have any solution for you other than, perhaps, using a pair of scissors to start the process and go from there.

whenever i try to open a 'thing' oof saltine crakers the pack does not open at the seam but explodes in a gloriuous confetti fallout.

are there any tips on how to control these ticking time bombs?

Never had that happen. What brand do you purchase. On a side note, I want the job of the person who stocks the potato chips! Crushing each bag so all you get are crumbs!:angel:

I have my trusty kitchen shears at the ready. That stupid seam doesn't open for me either without some fiddling, and DH has no patience, so it looks like a disaster when he opens the package.

:LOL:
I love saltines, and use scissors for opening them. This thread struck my funny bone, because someone on FB posted the same dilemma just a few days ago. Complete with a picture of the offending bag torn open in the wrong place and crumbs everywhere. :LOL:

Side note....I used to have one of those tins for saltines years ago and loved it, but I don't know what happened to it. Must have gotten lost in a move or something.

Last edited:
Another vote for scissors!

and I close the open sleeve with one of these ancient clothes pins. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
220px-Clothespin-2459e.jpg

9k=

I either use wire twist ties, or hack the ends off coat hangers with the clamps on the ends using pruning shears. They make great cracker/chip savers. I also keep a couple of clothespins in the silverware drawer.

Last edited:
I either save wire twist ties, or hack the ends off coat hangers with the clamps on the ends using pruning shears. They make great cracker/chip savers.

I really like the idea of using plastic hangers with clips.

I picture all of the snacks hanging from a tension rod in the pantry, where the kids can't quite reach them! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I use scissors, too. Need to use them on tubes of Ritz since their wrapping is something plastic-y and it won't tear. Or pull apart. Just succeeds at driving me nuts! :wacko:

...Side note....I used to have one of those tins for saltines years ago and loved it, but I don't know what happened to it. Must have gotten lost in a move or something.
I have it. It's in my pantry. Only I use it for Ritz crackers, not saltines. ~~~ *rant* It used to hold only 4 tubes of Ritz - now I can fit 5 in with room to spare. :glare: Downsizing, Nabisco? :glare:

I had a saltine tin too, though I'm pretty sure it was not yours, Cheryl. Mine held garden tools and was pretty rusty. Don't know what happened to the lid.

I bought a tin of saltines in the Ethnic Latino Department at my supermarket. The saltines were all right, but once they were gone, I now use it for Nabisco saltines. The house brand crumbles into crumbs as soon as you open them. :angel:

Staples regularly has packs of binder clips on sale, typically less than $1 per pack. I have these in various sizes for closing packages. They work quite well.

Staples® Binder Clips, Medium, 1 1/4" Width, 5/8" Capacity, Black | Staples®

Thank you. I was going to recommend those too but couldn't remember what they were called and I don't have of the boxes left, about time to restock, don't know how they get lost.

I just pull on the opposite corners to open saltines. Only times I have ever had the seam split was when it was getting down to the halfway point and I was having trouble getting them out. Once I started to split the seam, it split all the way down way too easily.

You guys are a hoot. I haven't opened a package of Saltines since the 80's and don't remember how I did it.

I don't think I've ever bought saltines in my life. I've never used crackers in soup, and when making hors oeuvres, I use something fancier.

Staples regularly has packs of binder clips on sale, typically less than $1 per pack. I have these in various sizes for closing packages. They work quite well.

Staples® Binder Clips, Medium, 1 1/4" Width, 5/8" Capacity, Black | Staples®

Some time back I bought 24 medium and 24 large and use them for all sorts of things. They are like metal duct tape. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom