"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i am totally disorganized. i have cookbooks in both kitchens, stuffed with clippings and printouts of more recipes. some cookbooks are lost in piles of boxes the last time i moved.
i have a pile of recipes clipped from mags and newspapers on my coffee table in the basement where i read the paper with my birds at night. it's my only refuge, so a mess of papers is somewhat safe from dw's cleaning barrages.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

I have cookbooks in the kitchen, the den, the tiki bar and the hobby room. In addition, I have a desk covered in clippings and old hand-written recipes that I have tried to database, but I get tired of just sitting and doing data entry. I have about 15 or so vintage recipe boxes, and about 4 of those have recipes in them. I also have a stack of recipes that sits next to the boxes.

On top of that I have a couple of drawers full of magazines that have varying numbers of recipes in them.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I have a HUGE cabinet filled with just cookbooks.Now don't laugh but, I have a notebook from when I was in Home Ec in Jr. High that I have stuffed with magazine recipes,loose leaf pages with things that I wrote down as I thought them up but, I know where everything is!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have Three three ring binders, recipe cards and keep lots on the computer.

I'm very very unorganized about it though and can never find anything. I do have the binders in catagories but... I print so many recipes that they just get thrown in the front and not in the right place. Someday... I'm going to take a week and go through everything and toss some of them.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Recipe Storage

I also like to use my very well organized 3 ring binder. In there not only do I have main tabs like appetizers, main dishes, side dishes, desserts, etc., i also have sub tabs like meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables that way when I am looking for a recipe I can get really specific. Also in the binder I have several plastic pockets that I store my clipped recipes in that way I don't lose them and they stay clean. I still use recipe cards that I try to laminate so they can stay clean and intact and I store them in a tin recipe can that my grandma gave to me. But I also use the computer, but then you run the risk of something going wrong and your files getting deleted. So I also print out all that I have on the computer, just in case.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Instead of backing them up on CDs, try using a Seagate portable hard drive. More memory plus they use USB so you can attach it to any computer. You also don't have to worry about organizing multiple CDs.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

good idea ic.

we use usb drives all the time at work for transferring files. i wear one on a lanyard around my neck everyday, with my i.d..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I have cookbooks in my kitchen, and a stack of loose papers from recipes I've collected on here and elsewhere. It doesnt sound very organized, but I can easily find a recipe Maybe one day I'll get a binder.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
we use usb drives all the time at work for transferring files. i wear one on a lanyard around my neck everyday, with my i.d..
we call these nerd sticks.

The big boss just gave all of us our own personal NSs for doing such a good job, but I haven't used mine yet.

I have pretty much the same system as everyone else - actual cookbooks, pieces of paper/index cards/newspaper & mag clippings, DiscussCooking stuff on my computer, plus some of it printed out in a binder.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I have mine in a few different types of storage. The recipes from family and friends are stored in photo albums (the ones with the sticky pages and plastic overlay). The ones I print from this site and a few others, I put in ring binders - I have about 4 of them now broken down by type (appetizer, main dish, salad, etc). Some that I've gathered from all over are on recipe cards in a file box. Some are in boxes that I will never get to. I have some from my home ec days ( mid previous century) Why do I need all those cookbooks? I also have a family cookbook (for hand written recipes) that is still empty.