"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #31
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Thank you bucky, I am glad there is someone else here who is as disorganized as we are.

We store what we can on the computer, but really have no time to organize the hard copies of the many recipes we have not transferred to the computer.

They go in THE BOX.

We try not to open THE BOX.

Everytime we think about organizing THE BOX, we find something better to do.

It is really not all that hard to do: there is always a trip to the dump that needs to be made, or chicken that needs to be quartered, or a sunset that needs to be watched, or a TV show that absolutely cannot be missed.

And we haven't spoken to Uncle Ed in ever so long, and whatever happened to that roomie I had in college?

And I really have not looked at the horses that will be running in the Kentucky Derby (not that we are anywhere where we can make a bet), and the knives do need sharpening again.

Basically will never have the recipes organized, no matter how much time we have.

Have always admired folks who can organize their stuff, but am afraid it is never going to happen to us.

As far as memory sticks go, we own a couple and they are the greatest.

Just gotta keep them out of THE BOX.

A place where they could hide forever.

LOL

Edited for grammar, I hate when I have to do that.
lol, that is exactly what I do.
I'm thinking about taking everything out of "the box" and putting it on a CD or
a palm pilot. Oh, wait...that reminds me I need to clean out the frig.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I've got a 128 MB USB Jump Drive, which I have used to transfer files. Of course, I now have my desktop and laptop on a wireless network, and I have file-sharing set up, so I don't use the Jump Drive much.

I have thought about the USB 80 GB Hard Drives, but since I have a stack of blank CD-R's from years ago, and new burner on the laptop, I just burn disc's.

Of course, I tend to get a little paranoid about backing up data; stuff that I really don't want to loose gets backed up on both computers in the house, burned to a couple disc's (one of which is stored at a different location than the house), and on the internet if possible. That way, come what may, loss due to fire, burgerly, forgetfulness, or loss of internet access, I'll have some data, somewhere.

There's actually more data than just recipes that I back up like this, like tax documentation, a listing of serial numbers, photos, etc.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I keep mine in a folder. I had another one that had about 10 years of recipes and evidently got thrown away by that boys!!
I have an empty recipe book, I just haven't written in it. I get cramps in my hand to much and I hate writing.
I have a recipe book too, but I don't write in it... I cut and paste in it... recipes from magazines, or where ever. If it is a recipe from a friend, I type it up on the pc and print it out and glue it to my recipe book.... no need for writing!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We have been planning to make a database for our recipes. However I never operated database myself and Cristiano never has enough time to put it together nor train me sufficiently so I could do it myself, so it is still a half boiled project... in the meanwhile the stuff to be put into the future database continues to grow, maybe I should start looking for an "Access for dummies" book...
Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
we call these nerd sticks.

The big boss just gave all of us our own personal NSs for doing such a good job, but I haven't used mine yet.
lol 'bug. . like chevrons on a u.s. military uniform (or more appropriately, pips on a star trek uniform), the number of nerd sticks hanging around your neck indicates rank, and overall gadget-headed nerdiness.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I have mine in folders. Problem is there's folders here.
There's folders there ! Folders everywhere !
Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #37
Master Chef

Three-Ring Binders with plastic pages for hard-copy stuff + lots of recipes saved on the computer & periodically backed up on cd discs.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #38
Sous Chef

I keep mine in folders, so I can pull the recipes out one at a time. The trouble is finding the one I need at that particular moment. I have to rifle through a whole pile. I amy consider changing my system to one of yours.