How do you use your leftovers and turn them into something good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Yes, I'm talking about leftovers. This usually doesn't matter to me, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm really looking for ideas of what other people turn they're leftover into, not just eating leftover turkey sandwiches. I'm looking for things to do with leftover mashed potatoes, different ways to use the meat, things to do with rice, etc.

I truly, madly, deeply hate wasting food, so I am also looking for creative ways to use up that last bit of meat, spoonful of veggies (I know - soup), etc. This is the one topic I consulted on That Other Site for ideas. Here's some recycling tips I've used:

Mashed potatoes - add some flour, chopped onion, form patties, fry.

Stale, hard rolls - grind up into bread crumbs (you could coat your mashed potato frycakes)

Ham: chop it up and add it and the bone to a pot for split pea soup

Turkey: make tetrazzini, or quickly stir fry it with some fresh veggies and that leftover rice

Sweet potatoes: mash and add to muffin recipes

Cranberries (not that jellied stuff out of the can, the real thing): add to simple syrup, boil to thicken a little more for pancake syrup

I only have a few. Usually leftover chicken meat, turkey whatever, goes into enchiladas. Leftover ham is used as a topping for brandied chicken (OMG...my favourite meal!). Shepherds pie is an excellent way to use up leftover veggies and mashed potatoes. I also cheat and make easy stir fry with any leftover veggies and meat. My mom used to just fry the leftover potatoes and we would eat them the next day too. Hope some of this is helpful. If you want any more specific recipes I will be happy to post them with the caveat that I don't use very specific measurements.

almost any kind of meat can go into tomato sauce and simmer until it's falling apart. my mom used to put leftover grilled chicken breasts, cubes of steak, pork chops, all kinds of leftover fish, what have you in a little tomato, basil, and garlic sauce. it was sometimes weird but always good.

One of my favorites with leftover turkey or chichen is to make a bechamel sauce, add a little wine, garlic powder, nutmeg or whatever you like. Add the cubed turkey and leftover veggies. Put them into the puff pastry shells you buy in the frozen food section and serve with a little cranberry sauce.

Larger cuts of meat are eaten first as a main dish with potato and veggies. Leftovers go into a pasta dish and/or a rice dish. I really don't mind a cold sandwich if anything is left after that, if you're tired of sandwiches, make a wrap.

A few more thoughts:

All carcasses (poultry, ham, beef) should be frozen with a little meat and fat still clinging to them. When you're ready, you make soup stock out of these. Soup is the ultimate cemetery where all good leftovers go to die.

mudbug said:
A few more thoughts:

Soup is the ultimate cemetery where all good leftovers go to die.

Soup is the ulimate gate to heaven where all leftovers go to live on!
Just my opinion - cleaning out the fridge offers so many delights that might otherwise be thrown out.

I just like a positive spin on my recycled garbage - since hubby doesn't eat left overs - hee hee hee ... If only he knew

I just fry the mashed potatoes up in some butter. I have made potato cakes. Every thing else just gets heated up and eatin.

I guess I should have posted mine ideas for leftovers. I did add a couple of the ideas you all have posted to my list (I keep it saved on my pc, to refer back to each year).

I usually end up making a good batch of Turkey Rice soup with the leftovers.

Turkey:
Turkey Noodle/Rice Soup
Turkey Enchiladas
Turkey Sandwiches
Turkey Tetrazzini
Hot Turkey Sandwiches w/ gravy
Turkey Tamales
Turkey Tacos
Turkey Pot Pie

Mashed Potatoes:
Potato Pancakes
Potato Pierogies
Potato Latkes
Duchess Potatoes
Shepard’s Pie

Sweet Potatoes:
Mash and add to muffin mix

Rice:
Soup (see above)
White rice, rice pudding
White rice, Chinese fried rice
White rice, add to pancake/waffle batter
White rice, add to meatloaf

Ham:
Cube and add to beans or soup, especially if you have the bone to work with

For large family gatherings, give away as many leftover’s as you can. Cheap ziplock reusable containers are great for this.

roast beef is so versatile. freeze and use in veggie soup, or make roast beef and gravy over bread. mix with a stir-fry blend for a nice meal. not traditional stir-fry, but it still tastes pretty good.
chicken isn't very good re-heated, if you ask me, so i usually just stay with cold chicken/letuce/tomato/mayo/black pepper sandwiches or chicken salad with that.
and extra pork roast can make a mean pot of soup!

I have an old cook book from Jaques Peppin. He would make what I think is called 'ragout' with leftover pot roast or chicken. Basically you just slice the meat or chicken very thinly, place in a pot with grilled onion, beef or chicken broth, and cook until it falls apart. Place into a glass casserole dish, add leftover mashed potatoes ( I mixed them with an egg so it would puff up while baking), and add any leftover veggies, just make sure you have enough broth while it bakes.

both make good sandwiches either hot or cold. The hot version I lay over bread and add gravy, the cold version I put on bread with horseradish spread, lettuce, tomatoe, black pepper.

When I make any shell fish, I save the shells and store in the freezer to make a stock, same with chicken carcass.

Well, while I was at work today, I remembered that years ago, when I published a recipe website, I had written a webpage on what to do with leftovers. Here's a cut/paste:

Meat
If the meat is rather tough and full of gristle, or you have the bones to deal with, save them for a stock. If it's going to be awhile until you make a batch, store them in ziplock baggies and freeze.
Leftover roasts in particular work well with these recipes, although excess grilled, baked, and broiled meats will also work.
Casseroles.
Simmered in a weak stock until it shreds, then drained, and mixed with BBQ sauce for "Pulled BBQ Sandwiches"
Simmered in a weak stock with a jalepeño or more to taste, until it shreds, then drained, and used in Mexican dishes, i.e., tacos, enchiladas, tamales, etc.
Sliced, and served as a sandwich.
Chicken and Turkey salad sandwiches.
Check out many of the good recipes you can use leftover meats in on my page for Soups and Stews! Rice
Mixed with a basic custard for a quick rice pudding.
Added to pancake and waffle batter.
Casseroles.
Add to soups and stews.
Chinese Fried Rice.
Eaten cold, with milk and sugar, as a breakfast cereal (One of my grandmothers tells me this is the only way she ever ate rice as a child.). Mashed Potatoes
Potato pancakes.
German Potato Latkes.
Potato Croquettes.
Gnocci.
Mix with some cream, enough to make it less stiff, but not runny, and pipe it for Duchess potatoes, or Topsy-Turvey Shepherd's Pie.
Old Bread
Slice the bread, if needed, and dry it in a 200*F oven for an hour. Run through the food processor to turn into bread crumbs. Cut into cubes, dry in a 200*F oven for an hour, and then turn into croutons.
Bread pudding.
If you have to make a large amount of bacon or sausage, line the plate or pan with old bread. The bread will absorb the grease. Old Desserts/Cakes
Save all your old cakes, cupcakes, sweet pastries, etc. and make a bread pudding out of them.
Save a stale cake, and get rid of any frosting. Run the cake in pieces through your food processor, grinding it into crumbs. Use the resulting cake crumbs as decorations on cakes, or in recipes calling for cake crumbs, like rum balls or a Linzer Torte.

Ok, and now another question to ask all of you. I just noticed I have some cooked leftover spaghetti. Other than Tetrazini, more spaghetti, or some kind of pasta salad, what do you all do with leftover cooked spaghetti?

I think I have a recipe for a spaghetti frittata around here someplace......

Back
Top Bottom