How do you usually find good recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vikasuy

Assistant Cook
I am trying to understand how people find recipes for a summer class on cooking. It would be great if you could either post here how you usually find recipes.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself, I either create them, or ask the good people on DC. I have a blog where I'm teaching people about cooking as well. But, that's just me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't search for recipes very often. Usually if I do I'm looking more for inspiration than for an actual recipe or researching something that I've heard about to find out what seems to be the general consensus on how to make it, then I'll create my own version. Once in a great while I'll see a recipe that I want to try, although I'm finding them more often on this forum than I have from other sources.

I check my cookbooks and look on the web, mostly. Usually I can read a recipe and tell if I'll like it or not. I'm neither creative nor inventive so I rarely make up my own recipes. I'm also detail oriented and black and white, so maybe that has something to do with it too!

I get inspiration most often from DC members, but I also get newsletters from several sources. Usually it's the same old same old, but occasionally I find something a little different.

I'm making a casserole today based on a recipe from Mr. Food. I made many changes in the amounts and methods, but I liked the idea of crushed Ritz crackers as a layer.

I've used crushed Ritz crackers in an excellent stuffing for seafood. (Adding Worcestershire, butter, and sherry.)

I try a lot of recipes, or at least versions of them, and make up my own. A lot of them don't make it past the first time, but some are hits so we make them again. Some are disasters, but I like to try something because it may look good, and I want to find out for myself.

I've been cooking for over 50 years and have hundreds of cookbooks, which I use and read like novels. I also have a recipe file (the 3x5 card size) that fills 4 shoe boxes. I love to cook and always have. And, fortunately, I've had a family that enjoys being my guinea pigs. Sometimes that's really, really good and other times they're quite sorry they agreed to the experiment. The latter dishes are the ones that are either tweaked a bit more or are deemed trashcan-worthy, recipe and all.

I get recipes everywhere. From friends (the real ones and the DC ones), other Internet sites, in magazines, newspapers, on food packages, in my head, during experimentation when I have a handful of leftover ingredients that need to be used, etc.

Basically the internet or something I see on TV or a movie that catches my eye. I'm a visual person and typically need to see a picture of the results to even get me interested, unless it involves something unusual.
I always liked to food forums who ran cooking "contests" to broaden their members' food horizons. Those typically involved a lot of internet research to find a recipe to make. I've come across several recipes that way that made it into my rotation.

I get recipes from cookbooks, magazines, the internet, friends and family, but I must qualify by saying that I rarely follow a recipe, I usually use them as a starting point or as inspiration. It does however make it difficult to repeat or share "my recipe" with others as I seldom keep track of changes that I make.:( I must make an effort to do a better job of that in the future:LOL:

:bunny:

all the above

there is a great magazine called Cuisine at Home. no advertising just seasonal recipes, many quick and easy. I certainly would recommend it for someone building a repertoire in the kitchen.

The internet is a great resource, combined with my many cookbooks and saved recipes from friends, newspaper, et al. I too use several sources and rarely follow a recipe as written, so each one is a new experience. Unfortunately, if something comes out great, I can't remember how it got that way!

DC has been a good influence on my new recipe habits. Now, my habit is to write down ingredients, techniques, etc., as I am making the recipe. If it comes out good, great. If not, I write down ideas for improvement.

I keep these in a notebook and when I'm ready to make it again, I move the recipe page to the front of the book, make notes of any changes I made and how it came out. It comes in handy to remind me of things that sounded good, but weren't, or variations that came out great.

I got my "core" recipes from my mom. They are for the things I ate growing up. I love to look in "community" cookbooks (put out by clubs, churches, etc.) because they contain a lot of real recipes that actual people make, not just something someone created to sell a book. I do like to look through magazines, newspaper food sections, cookbooks, and Internet sites for recipes. Every now and then I find a great one. The main reason I look online or in cookbooks though is to find out the cooking time and temperature for something I want to make.

One thing I do love about the Internet, when it comes to looking for recipes, is that it is convenient, and you don't have a book lying around for just a couple recipes. That said, I wouldn't give up my cookbooks either!!!

Gotta love the church cookbooks! Mine are all over 25 years old, and continue to amaze with their comfort food, a lot of cream of something, Velveeta, some great rhubarb and fruit recipes. Good stuff.

Last edited:
The internet is a great resource, combined with my many cookbooks and saved recipes from friends, newspaper, et al. I too use several sources and rarely follow a recipe as written, so each one is a new experience. Unfortunately, if something comes out great, I can't remember how it got that way!

me too, dawg! some of my most sublime food creations are lost forever...we could use some of zhizara's valuable note keeping skills, huh? i also like barbara's idea of using community inspired cookbooks, a source i had previously discounted out of hand. sharp of you to recognize the community as a rich venue, barbara!:)

i find them anywhere. here on d.c.or something that takes my fancy and then i do a search . i also find them in several food mags. that i take. some i make up in my head to suit the ingredients that i have on hand.

i usually will check a few cooking/foodie websites that i frequent for more info than just one recipe can supply.

recipes are nice, but it's helpful to be able to talk about things therein.

obviously, i check here, but also epicurious, recipezaar, cooking for engineers, and then there's good old google.

I've been cooking for over 50 years and have hundreds of cookbooks, which I use and read like novels. I also have a recipe file (the 3x5 card size) that fills 4 shoe boxes. I love to cook and always have. And, fortunately, I've had a family that enjoys being my guinea pigs. Sometimes that's really, really good and other times they're quite sorry they agreed to the experiment. The latter dishes are the ones that are either tweaked a bit more or are deemed trashcan-worthy, recipe and all.

I get recipes everywhere. From friends (the real ones and the DC ones), other Internet sites, in magazines, newspapers, on food packages, in my head, during experimentation when I have a handful of leftover ingredients that need to be used, etc.

Good grief!!! I have a virtual twin!! Me too (but I have been putting the recipe collection on Living Cookbook.)

I get lots of cooking mags, and internet subscriptions, but I have some tattered newspaper clippings and church dish to pass recipes. I always look. One of my best and favorite recipes (Crunchy Pea Salad) came in a real estate newsletter.

Back
Top Bottom