How long can I keep my Balsamic Vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toplynx

Assistant Cook
How long can i keep my Balsamic Vinegar? On my bottle, it said that "Best Before: NO/2011". Is it means that i need to eat it before November 2011?

I keep my balsamic vinegar forever. If it is "real" balsamic it should keep for many years. Cheap non-aged vinegar can break down quickly.

Boy, I didn't think vinegar went bad... I'll have to look at mine. I've had it at least a couple years, maybe three. It sits on the shelf over the sink with my other vinegars.

I personally wouldn't pay much attention to an expiration date on balsamic vinegar, not that I'm trying to tell you to do the same.
Granted the finest most expensive Balsamic vinegars are aged for years in perfect conditions, having a less expensive BV that's out of date on my pantry shelf doesn't bother me at all. My suspicious mind makes me think the maker wants us to buy a new bottle more often than needed. Phoey.;)

Kayelle said:
I personally wouldn't pay much attention to an expiration date on balsamic vinegar, not that I'm trying to tell you to do the same.
Granted the finest most expensive Balsamic vinegars are aged for years in perfect conditions, having a less expensive BV that's out of date on my pantry shelf doesn't bother me at all. My suspicious mind makes me think the maker wants us to buy a new bottle more often than needed. Phoey.;)

I feel the same. Vinegar is a preservative. I can't imagine it would go bad, maybe taste funny?

Strictly speaking, you could keep it forever.... It might not be very good but you can keep it.
I got a can of Hormel Chili from 1998...I ain't gonna eat it, but I got it....might be an antique one day. :LOL:

Hoot said:
Strictly speaking, you could keep it forever.... It might not be very good but you can keep it.
I got a can of Hormel Chili from 1998...I ain't gonna eat it, but I got it....might be an antique one day. :LOL:

Just sprinkle it with a little balsamic, it should be fine. Keep it with the Twinkies.

I have several bottles of BV that are many years old, have not detected any diff in taste.

Last edited:
Considering you can buy 120 year old aged balsamic, I would guess it has a pretty long shelf life.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom