"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Ah, the wisdom of the older generation. Cream of Tartar is a chemical salt and should last forever. So if mom offers you lemon meringue pie, forget the meringue and check the lemons.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Every once in a while I get lucky.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Hello, my name is Allen, I cook professionally, and I don't change out my seasonings as often as I should....

I know my pepper, thyme, tarragon, Old Bay, ground mustard, ground sage (homemade), and Chili powder are reasonably "new", as I go through them pretty fast. I have some large containers of spices and herbs that I bought from Sam's Club about 10 years ago. I also have some smaller jars of spices and herbs that I just don't use very often at all. So far, none of them have degraded that I can tell. I keep them covered, and in a cupboard away from light and heat.

I did pitch a small container of zest, either orange or lemon, a couple weeks ago. I just didn't like the looks of it. I need to go through my herbs and spices and decide what's worth keeping, and what needs to be pitched.

Now, my MIL had some jars of herbs and spices that had been on a spice rack, over her stove, for who knows how long. Most of the dried herbs no longer had any color. I'm guessing they were at least 20 years old, or older. She didn't use them, but refused to get rid of them. I think they probably belonged to my MIL's mother, and my MIL was holding on to them for the emotional tie. I think I made them dissappear when I moved my MIL's stuff into my home :)
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
Executive Chef
dried green herbs I replace every year. Spices every year and a half to two depending. (Some like saffron I keep well sealed and confined so it lasts quite a long time.) I like to buy the small bottles, or go to a gourmet shop and get whole seeds etc which I grind. THat lasts even longer.

It is amazing...want to kick your food up a notch? toss your old herbs and spices and buy new and use fresh whenever called for!! wow (yes that includes black pepper)
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #15
Head Chef
Listen to GB, use your nose!
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I would like to change them with the seasons but that would run me about $200 or so.
Buy them at a bulk foods/health foods store where they sell small packets or you bag your own.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote