"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
What's wrong with cheese? I can see over indulgence being bad due to fat content, but controlled portions of cheese are quite healthy I thought . . . . . well, may not processed, but natural . . . . . . .
yea thats true
well i just added salt and pepper to the sauce and am boiling the pasta on high. how long should i boil the pasta?

Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingfury88
yea thats true
well i just added salt and pepper to the sauce and am boiling the pasta on high. how long should i boil the pasta?
It should probably say on the back of the package, but a good estimate for many pastas 7-8 minutes. This varies a lot depending on the type of pasta being cooked though. Just pop a piece out if you're curious, let it cool off for a moment and taste it - if you like the consistnacy it's ready. If not give it a little longer and try a piece again

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

This thread is really fun to read - a work in progress.....

FF88, I'd say about 10 minutes (you're almost there) on the pasta. Dip into your pot and take out a couple of strands and eat them. Are they too chewy? Let it go for another couple minutes. Keep testing and tasting. The throwing-against-the-wall trick to see if the pasta sticks doesn't really work.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
This thread is really fun to read - a work in progress.....

FF88, I'd say about 10 minutes (you're almost there) on the pasta. Dip into your pot and take out a couple of strands and eat them. Are they too chewy? Let it go for another couple minutes. Keep testing and tasting. The throwing-against-the-wall trick to see if the pasta sticks doesn't really work.
I agree Mudbug, I came in a bit late (Alix had gotten FF88 off to a terrific start!) and it's really cool to help FF88 prepare his meal.

Lol, it doesn't work (throwing against the wall) - you're right - but it can be fun

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

No, no, not on high. Dependin on how much it is (1-2 #) thaw 5 minutes on power 3. If you are going to make spagetti, you can start browning it ina a pan.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

haha well everythings done......and here are the results

the sauce was too watery (?? i dunno what happend there) i like the sauce to be thicker (should i add more tomato paste/sauce?)

meat was chewy (i wont wait a year to cook my meat next time)

well i learned alot today thanks to you guys, i thought i would be making a burger on the foreman grill but ended up making spaghetti (how did that happend?) i definitely will cook spaghetti some other time and fix up some of these errors.

i thought i would be a member here just to ask if it was okay to eat some beef thats been in the freezer for one year, but i will use these forums to my advantage now. thanks alot to everyone that helped.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:15 PM   #37
Everymom

Hey fightingfury, that is what we are here for! Ask away, there is generally someone around who can answer questions. And to answer your questions, Yes if the sauce is too watery add tomato paste, or if you have the time, just let it simmer slowly some of the liquid will dissipate as steam. As to the chewy meat, well, that is likely partly the microwaves fault too. But hey, you got some spaghetti out of the deal so it is all good!

Glad your cooking experiment went well. Let us in on your next round.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #38
Master Chef

Hey and thank you for posting results. i just hate not knowing what happens in the end.

Oh, and welcome to DC